power loss from AEM ?

enigM@

:
2003 Protege5
i tried doing a search, and i couldn't find anything.

My friend told that i'd actually loose power if i went with the AEM because it's short ram. And he said that i'd be better off with the stock intake cause the short ram will eventually use hot air over time.

Can anyone varify this?

I only know that I've had the AEM on my car for over 6 months and I've always felt that there has been a gain. I've nothing but praise for it. Search on the car mag sites. One of them has probably done a dyno.

i just installed my AEM yesterday and i must say that there is definately a GAIN..... btw 3000 and 5500 rpms there is a nice punch to it....

and as it being a short ram... this AEM setup has the filter pretty low.......i would have to say almost as low as the Injen setup... but Injen's CAI has the filter in the fender well area and AEM's is in the engine compartment which does has hotter air than the fender well area but i think the AEM setup is low enough to get some semi-cool air which isnt typically your HOT engine air.

i have the aem short ram air intake and i can tell a big difference between 3000-5500 rpm range like said above but since i put mine on it has had a little idle issue but overall its a good intake

alprotege said:
i have the aem short ram air intake and i can tell a big difference between 3000-5500 rpm range like said above but since i put mine on it has had a little idle issue but overall its a good intake

idle issues? I dont have any of that...

did you forget to reset the ECU after you installed it?

how do you do that? just take the cable off, i did that on the install but it just idles up and down while sitting at redlight sometimes

alprotege said:
how do you do that? just take the cable off, i did that on the install but it just idles up and down while sitting at redlight sometimes

you reset your ECU by disconnecting the NEGATIVE terminal of the car battery...

i think you are having idle issues is because you havent reset your ECU so the car is not comfortable with sucking in so much more air..

thanks man that could be it but i got another question for you ever since the aem was installed the trans has been acting up a delayed engaugement into drive when you first crank it up after a while sitting any relationship? sorry for the takeover

alprotege said:
thanks man that could be it but i got another question for you ever since the aem was installed the trans has been acting up a delayed engaugement into drive when you first crank it up after a while sitting any relationship? sorry for the takeover

Sure you don't have a vacuum leak somewhere? That would explain the idle, and possibly the tranny(not real familiar with mazda autos).

alprotege said:

remember to disconnect the NEGATIVE terminal not the positive side....

disconnect it for like 10 sec...... reconnect it...... start up the car.... let it sit at idle for a couple of minutes first.. then take it out for a spin.

and as for the tranny im not quite sure....

just reset the ECU first and go from there.

tmht said:

Sure you don't have a vacuum leak somewhere? That would explain the idle, and possibly the tranny(not real familiar with mazda autos).

ya this could be it too.... just check and see

To be honest you are not going to see much power gain with any intake on our engines. An AEM MAY get you 1-2hp and a Injen CAI MAY get you up to 5hp. You should not have any power loss. The biggest gain you get with an intake will be throttle response. Better throttle response tends to give you the feeling that you have gotten more hp.

I put my intake in specifically for the throttle response knowing that the hp gain is insignificant.

In order to get a decent power gain you must get Intake, Header and Exaust. With these three working together you may get 10-12hp. But just any one will give you hardly any gain worth mentioning.

When you reset your ECU, take off the negative terminal and then step on the brake for about ten seconds. Just disconnecting it for 10 sec isn't going to do the trick.

herarety said:
When you reset your ECU, take off the negative terminal and then step on the brake for about ten seconds. Just disconnecting it for 10 sec isn't going to do the trick.

hmmm it did the trick for my car......... can anyone verify this?

Back