roof racks

privateer

has anyone carried windsurfers or surfboards on the protege 5 factory racks on a long term basis? any problems breakage bent roof line ect... mazda says the racks are not rated to carry boards due to wind lift the usa roof to my understanding are not as strong as canadas any truth to this i know i can get thules but that is a process of removing factory racks and hunting down filler pieces ect... would hate to see a windsurfer go slamming into the car behind me not to mention the damage it could do to the roof any surfers or windsurfers out there?

Im in Canada so I have the "Canadian Mazda- Thule" racks, I throw my three windsurf boards on the roof with no prob. I cant see how the U.S. racks would be any weaker? They all mount in the basically the same point and the load is transfered to the same points? I wouldnt worry about it...
I've had all three boards strapped on for a three hour road trip doing atleast 65-70mph with no problems at all! Just strap your s*** down right and you should off for a fun day of surfin!:D

mtnbiker26 said:
If you did want to use an aftermarket rack the Thule's would be a pain but the Yakima stuff goes right on. Check out this link to my setup. http://home.attbi.com/~gtolley/rack.htm

How much did the Yakima setup set you back? I was thinking about getting the Thule for my bikes only but the wind noise you described has pretty much turned me off of that.

thanks for the reponses here is what i have researched yakima says their setup cannot carry surfboards much less windsurfers does anyone have photos of canadian thule racks or part numbers again roof standards are as i have been told are different in canada than usa different internal structure? thanks for the yakima photos i am going to call again maybe the person i spoke to was misinformed but i doubt it hunt for the red october, the grail is on!

Back