J-Spec Engine Compatibility ???

Shingo7

OK, I am thinking of putting down cash for a Japanese engine.

FS_ZE - engine code name

I want to know if the preformance accessories and such being produced will fit that engine.

As far as I can tell the engine has some slight upgrades in cam-shafts and a slightly different piston setup.

other than that i think they are the same, I just dont wanna order this engine if I cant do anything with it.

Thanks for your replies - in advance

Someone here recently did that and did not have near the results they wanted. Think it barely made more power than a MP3 due to the different ECUs between ours and the Familias.

The cams were different only in duration
stock: .344/.323 and duration of 198/200 @050
ZE: .344/.323 duration 210/200 @050

The compression was also different and some other things

Hey Shingo 7

I see you're in springfield, VA.... you should check out the VA section from time to time to see if there are meets..the more the merrier, right REMillers? :D

Cork Sport Complete FS_ZE

I am looking to get the complete package from corck sport.

the FS_ZE engine
and the Computer and wiring

------------------------------------------
That should produce about 20 more horsepower than the stock MP3 engine.

------------------------------------------

I am planning for bolt ons as well, and am looking to put my MP3 to right around 185hp

If you guys dont think its possible let me know.

That is a complete waste of money for 20HP. You could get more out of your FS-DE NA for less money than the swap, and that actually says a lot. Forced Induction is of course you most cost effective solution.

Chris

Snoogins Turbo costs more than the engine

Cork ( i keep mentioning them because they are the only one I have found who sells the engine) says they can sell the engine for 1900.00 USD

computer and wiring for 500.00 USD

thats 20 horse power without putting excess strain on the engine.

2400.00 USD - Prolly 2700.00 for shipping and such (not installed)

versus a turbo kit......

3900.00 USD - just the kit, not to mention all the guages, and installation and all that jazz.

Turbo - 5000
FS_ZE - 3400

Plus, with the engine swap all the bolt ons are still available, although i do love the hiss and bang of the turbo, i dont see how its better than swaping.

I am gonna try to look up this linux guy.... see what else I can find out.

Keep the opinions, and info comming, i really appreciate the help.

there is also another guy on here (full sport 20 conversion) im not sure his name. do a search

i dont know if any one has done the swap with the ECU, to me it just doesnt seem worth it.

if all you want is 20 hp get cams, cam gears, header, exhaust, intake. that should bump it up perhaps 15-20 and cost maybe $1200 with a smaller installation cost, since you can do much of that yourself.

Remeber the FZ engine uses ODB-I and not ODB-II like ours. The computer will not be a simple swap. Heance some of the problems people have had with low hp numbers.

DooMer_MP3 said:
That is a complete waste of money for 20HP. You could get more out of your FS-DE NA for less money than the swap, and that actually says a lot. Forced Induction is of course you most cost effective solution.

Chris

DITTO

Its a complete waste. Don't forget your going to have to drop the engine, which will be another couple thousand.

On top of that, you won't get anywhere near the potential of the engine b/c it uses a completely different ECU. (Plus corksport usually doesn't have the ecu and its almost impossible to get)

Unless you get a standalone, you will only achieve around 15-20 for $4000+ which includes getting it dropped.

You will be better off getting a turbo.

Yes Linux as done it and guess what. He is now boosted. He also realized it was a waste of money getting that engine.

Re: Snoogins Turbo costs more than the engine

Shingo7 said:
Cork ( i keep mentioning them because they are the only one I have found who sells the engine) says they can sell the engine for 1900.00 USD

computer and wiring for 500.00 USD

thats 20 horse power without putting excess strain on the engine.

2400.00 USD - Prolly 2700.00 for shipping and such (not installed)

versus a turbo kit......

3900.00 USD - just the kit, not to mention all the guages, and installation and all that jazz.

Turbo - 5000
FS_ZE - 3400

Plus, with the engine swap all the bolt ons are still available, although i do love the hiss and bang of the turbo, i dont see how its better than swaping.

I am gonna try to look up this linux guy.... see what else I can find out.

Keep the opinions, and info comming, i really appreciate the help.

Well lets at least be realistic here. The CHEAPEST (Spool Stage 1 at $2595) will be more cost effective then your swap. Spool also mentions its the kit people have had the least amount of trouble with due to the low boost levels, so its pretty darn reliable.

So, his site claims 160WHP from the stage1 kit. Calculating a very generous 18% driveline loss, that means it makes right around 190HP at the crank - a gain of 50HP over stock.

I'll assume that since you didn't mention install costs in your post, that you will be doing the swap yourself (keep in mind a swap would cost buttloads more in labor than installing a stage 1 turbo kit).

So for the swap we have:
$3400/20HP = $170/HP

Stage1:
$2595/50HP = $52/HP

I guess I fail to see your logic. The turbo kit is obviously the way to go. Oh, and if you ask Linux, I'm sure he'll tell you how happy he was to see that the FS-ZE engine he got from corksport had been abused by the previous owner and needed the cylinder walls to be bored out. So I hope you like to shoot craps as well ;).

But seriously, go turbo, or even just bolt on the JSpec cams, Tripoint camgears, AWR header, Sunbelt larger throttle body, exhaust and intake for a hell of a lot less than your swap, and you'll probably get more out of it.

Chris

Ok, so Turbo sounds like it will be best.

last bit of info and I will kill this thread.....

1.> Whats the normal amount of PSI u should run on a daily driven TURBO MP3 ?

2.> Who makes the best kit ?

thanks, I really appreciate the info and opinions.

why don't you be like some of the speed'ers and run between 8 to 9 psi.

Stock the MSP runs 6.9 (and that's enough get up & go for around town)

Yep 6ish works good for the stock FS-DE engine. Still not completely sold on the strength of the bottom end and internals though for higher boost (10+). But some have had luck while others have not. However 6psi has posed almost no problems.

Course what do I know about get up and go, I own a P5 :p

I was thinking about 8 or 9, but wanted to see what other people are running, has anyone reviewed any of the turbo kits ?

This months Sport compact car actualy mentions the Begi/Flying Miata Turbo kit. - No review.

werd.
Big ups to NOVA

A few members do have the fly miata kits, while others are using Stage 2 Spools.
Give me a sec and I can find the names so you can PM them, but it is break time from training class and I need a smoke badly!! :)

Back