Reverse noise

Hey guys,
Im pretty sure I know what the problem is with my car but I figured I would bring it up anyways. Most manual cars Ive been in make a little noise while going in reverse but my car is 3 weeks old and it sounds like its almost grinding and to top that It almost feels like the synchros are off and really have to work to find reverse. I KNOW WHAT IT IS. Damn clutch needs adjusted. The presure plates are just right for the other gears but not enough for reverse so Im adding to the list of things to have checked out at the dealership. You know the one thing that really gets me with the car is that is the only thing I have found to b*tch about. (except for lack of turbo). :D

my car is the same way. the noise bothered me at first, but now i just live with it. it's not that bad if i reverse slowly.

I belive all manual cars make that noise in reverse.. its not really a problem.. About the gear not going into reverse at first, I have the same problem but this is my first manual car so I dont have anything to compare it to.. I just let the car roll an inch until the gear slips in...

Yes, I'm pretty sure all manuals make more noise in reverse.

Since the reverse gear is a spur gear every time the teeth meet they collide and this makes noise. When you put into reverse, the reverse idle gear (the one that you're moving with the stick) engages a spur gear which is connected to the driveshaft, so therefore the reason why they don't engage sometimes is because your trying to engage two spur gears sideways and they might not be aligned correctly, so you roll the car an inch, the gear connected to the driveshaft moves with it and they align.

The other gears are helical, so if you see the way they engage (turn with each other) you see that there's less impact when they turn and the teeth meet, that's why they're quieter.

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure all manuals make more noise in reverse.

I agree. But I would say that compared to the 4 other manuals I have owned over the past 10 years or so, the Protege is easily the loudest in reverse. Not only is it loud, it sounds a little sick too. I don't think it is anything to worry about though, it just seems less refined than others, not necessarily defective.

Pro5OnSpeed's p5 sounds like a little honda when he backs up, then the revs drop, and it sounds like a honda just died. Quite funny.

Back