list the MSP problems!!

eddy

ok..so ive heard people here are having a few problems with their msp ...i just wanted to get a list from everyone about what problems the msp may have with it(a description of the problem too would help), how to get it fixed or prevent it so that everyone here can be aware of it and avoid those problems or fix them..i want to have the msp trouble free for everyone!

i'll put together a list from all the replies on this post

thanks a lot guys!!

ok

1. it takes too long to get one
2. Mazda doesn't care about how long the customer's wait to get one.
3. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK...that never gets fixed

I've had problems with the ignition in my msp. Every once and a while, it wont start at all. It seems to work when I switch out spark plugs/ignition wires, but that could totally be random, I have no clue what is causing it. I have also had problems with my msp hesitating when I drop gears and floor it, or sometimes even when I just floor it without dropping gears.

Leaking coolant line right above the turbo. CLUNK from rear suspension. feeling of no power getting to the wheels in 3nd gear, around 4k rpms and higher. More to be added soon, it goes to the dealer next week.

2000 miles now and other than the occasional clunk in cold weather the only problem i have is getting the damn dealer sticker off my back bumper!

Did anyone mention BLOWN MOTORS?(scratch)
(hmm) I think not!:cool:

Well..

How bout being too Black and too Beautiful.
Mine has been problem free so far after 4000 plus miles.
I drive it 400+ miles a week and average more than 31 MPG.
Yeah I granny drive it while I going to and from work.
With the exception of a little road rage incident at 110mph the other morning. Some assholes are just to ******* rude to live!

But anywho no probs for me.

Mechanically; no. But my subwoofer messed up. It just died on me one day. I took it to the dealer and they ordered my one right away.

Subwoofer here, too.
Squeaky metal chassis around radio.
A paint "stretch" mark on the corner of the rear bumper where the paint looks like it didn't flez like it's supposesd to and is showing the black bumper underneath it.
Other than that, 2000 miles and going strong mechanically.

(1)Clunk, Clunk (as newF mentioned); (2)fragile windshields - mine stress cracked within the first week and half; (3)Stalling.

Do a keyword search, you'll find all related posts.

delorian said:
I've had problems with the ignition in my msp. Every once and a while, it wont start at all. It seems to work when I switch out spark plugs/ignition wires, but that could totally be random, I have no clue what is causing it. I have also had problems with my msp hesitating when I drop gears and floor it, or sometimes even when I just floor it without dropping gears.
two things: you are either fouling the plugs because you are running pig rich or a problem with one of the coils.

no problems ;) im glad my car isn't one of the first few hundred made hopefully by the time they got to 1518 they had all the kinks worked out ;)

1. Radio has broke on me 4 times already!!!!
2. Subwoofer blown out
3. Coolant leak
And one nice letter to mazda telling them to shove this car up their ass.

The hesitation whenever you backoff the throttle while acclerating on highway speeds. It's very notiable in 5th gear whenever you over take someone and back off the throttle.

Between, 4K - 5k, the car doesn't feel like it's pulling as hard compared to 3K - 4Krpm. But after 5K it's all about HP and not torque.

Notchy shift from 1st--2nd gear. All other gears are fine.
When downshifting gears, you'll need to match revs or else you'll feel the clutch slip.

Clunk Clunk Clunk....only in cold weather. Hardly hear it when it's warm.

It takes some time to find a good driving postion.

Other then that, great performace, great handling, great stereo, gets a lot of attention :D

1. Leaky BOV
2. s*** Tuning (runs VERY VERY rich!)
3. Car would just die on the occasion when i first picked it up.
9200 miles.

delorian said:

Go get your alarm checked out

-Stress crack on windshield (replaced)
-Door panels on both front doors had crease marks (replaced)
-Pulls to the left, most noticable on the highway (had it aligned, still pulls)

1) alarm module malfunction which caused car to intermitently trigger while driving.
2) my alignment was a little off which pulled the car slightly to the left.
3) had some sort of oil leak from turbo to return pan or something. there are 2 bolts. apparently one of the 2 bolts was not there and the 2nd bolt was loose. gave a burn smell after driving.

cosmetic probs:

1) stress mark/crease on passenger side compartment which showed as a faint white line.
2) was a hazy streak behind rearview mirror glass which couldn't be wiped because it was behind the glass.
3) there seems to be a very small scratch on my rear window at the top right corner. i'm not sure if it was already there or happened when i got my windows tinted.
4) have a tiny scuff on my mazda emblem on my steering wheel which can't be rubbed out.

dealership problems:

1) went to pick up my car yesterday but the sales reps were too busy reading books and doing crossword puzzles. they were too lazy to pull up my history report or help me with my car rental return. "don't know how, sorry"

*** all problems were fixed though, except the emblem on the steering wheel and the scratch on the rear window. i applied some protectant on the interior and it seemed to cover the white crease. ***

Last edited:
I got mine 4.26 & have about 1150 on it by now.

I've got the rough shift from 1-2 under hard acceleration and if I'm on the gas hard through 3rd sometimes it feels like I'm feathering it slightly/the acceleration isn't smooth but has a faint undulation to it. Weird. This didn't really sound to me like the hesitation that others are mentioning. I have that too but only slightly and not very often.

Back