Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: roof rack question

Actually Don, carrying a snowboard was a huge hassle as well. The rack is so far back on the roof that the wing on the hatch would hit the boards when you opened up the hatch. My board is pretty short too at 151 cm. I have big ass scratches on the wing now. For me there were a lot of issues so I had to ditch the factory bars.

Registered Member

While that's certainly true, you CAN open the hatch about halfway before it touches whatever you have strapped on the rack . . . . You just need to excercise a modicum of care not to let the wing contact the load. I've been doing it that way for a year and a half or so, and not scratched the rear wing yet.

Don

You are totally correct. I was careful not to open the hatch too far or I would take the boards off of the roof before unpacking the gear from the hatch, but it was my girl's brother that whipped open the hatch all the way and scratched it up. He wasn't aware of the situation and I wasn't looking at what he was doing.

Registered Member

Mazda Protege5

Hello, don't know if anybody looks at these forums anymore but thought I would give it a try. So I've always loved the Protege5. I finally found one in good condition about 2 years ago. I have been wanting to get the OEM roof rack for a while now, since the one I have did not come with one. I suppose you could call it a "2003.5" since it has the spare tire subwoofer and no roof rack. I recently picked up an OEM roof rack at a local junkyard. When I went to go put it on my car, there weren't any holes to mount the rack to the roof. I don't know why they wouldn't put the holes for the rack on in the first place. My model is not a Canadian. I don't know why Mazda makes things complicated sometimes. Just wondering if anybody has had this problem and has had to drill their own holes before. Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12