question about shocks and struts...

Cheese

Contributor
:
2014 CX-5 Sport 6-M/T
i know this is probably a stupid question but...............

1) whats the difference between shocks and struts? are they the same thing with different names, or are they two completely different things?

2) if they are 2 completely different things, then which one will need to be replaced after lowering my ride via lowering springs (spool springs)...

i know that the Mazda MP3 Struts are available for $460 but then the MAZDASPEED 4 or 5 way adjustable shocks are available for $199 each....

(thoroughly confused)

:confused:

In our case, we have struts. A shock is a non-load bearing member, whereas a mcpherson strut is a load bearing member (at least the way I understand it to be).

You will have to replace your struts after some time with lowering springs.

Watch out for relying on the MP3 price, most of the places I checked had already superceded that part with the MSP struts which were $100 more.

And P.S. Mitch over at www.protege5online.com can get you a MUCH better deal on the mazdaspeed shocks.

My honest opinion? For the total cost you'll eventually spend, and the features that make it the nicest, ... go with the JIC.

Yeah, yeah I know they're expensive, but check this out:

Springs 200
struts 550-650
camber plates 300

that's already over $1000. The JICs are really not that much further.

Well to first learn a good deal about shocks and struts visit these pages.

Shocks

Struts

Should give a good basic understanding of their differences and how they are almost the same.

It would be best to change the strut out of the P5 at the sametime doing springs. It techincally is not needed, but it will really help with the ride and actually fully use the new springs.

Sorry not completely familiar with the MP3 struts vs the Mazdaspeed ones to give a honest opinion. Haven't fully looked into doing any suspension work yet, still working on the motor. :)

Protege5online.com's (Mitch) terminology is the correct one.

Calling them shocks isn't completely wrong since that element is present in the strut, but since we have no upper control arm we have struts that replace their function. Plus, from looking at them you can tell right away if it's just a shock or a strut.

REMillers, great articles, BTW.

There was one other thing that I thought about on the way home, ...

Hands down, the JICs are the best suspension out there for your car, ... except when they're not tuned correctly. Unless you know, have a hookup, or are willing to pay someone to set up the suspension correctly (perhaps even several times) then it is quite a bit of work to get them to where they need to be.

Chew on this (on the other hand) the MSP struts/springs/sway bars have been created to work as a UNIT (and not much else is different from stock as far as the suspension goes) and have already had hundreds of testing hours poured into them. They are truly plug and play, and you get the exceptional handling of the MSP.

So, ... do you have the time/energy/money to get the JICs, or would you rather spend that time doing something else?

I just came off the Racing Beat Springs on stock struts, and I highly recommend AGAINST doing that. Honestly, if you're going to get springs, get some struts. It makes the install just THAT MUCH EASIER as well.

I'm currently on the JICs, and the more I spend time getting them to "work" the more I like them, ... but there is a lot of stuff to know to properly tune them.

Anyone in the Austin area know how to tune suspensions?

Where does the shock go in a strut? or it doesn't at all? Seems like it's 2 completely different things. Yet, I don't see where both of them go in a suspension. @_@ *confused*

Let's see, ...

Tokico said that it would be another 6 months or so before they came out with their adjustables. They had some issue with the damping curve.

Koni pretty much told me they weren't going to sell anything for our car.

That pretty much put me into the JICs, so I got the JICs.

A

vindication said:
anybody know when the new Tokico struts are gonna be released for our cars?

ah yes, the $64,000 question.

Jliao, our cars have struts, not shocks. a suspension has one or the other. they are 2 completely different things...2 ways of providing suspension damping. read the articles REMillers provided.

I talked to the Koni reps last year at the SCCA Solo II nationals. They told me they are kinda pissed at the Protege group of Mazda. They spent a ton of time and effort designing the strut setup for the MP3, but to save money, Mazda ended up handing over the plans and specs to Tokico for a cheaper final product. Koni says they will probably never make a protege product, as they are rather pissed at that group. Can't blame them, but it dows suck for us.
Are the JICs adjustable? I don't want to lower my car, just have adjustable struts. They also have to mount to the original mounting points and require no drilling. Gotta love anal specific rules.

Back