home made turbo kit?

Pro Fiz

Contributor
Hey, how difficult do you guys think it would be to peice togather my own turbo kit? i know spool makes the kit with just the exhaust manifold and the turbo, but if i got a T25 from a gst or something, and had my own pipes bent, i dont see why this wouldnt work (i know most of my problem would be w/ the computer and fuel deliverly etc.), with the help of some of you guys, and some friends i dont see why i couldnt make a inexpensive kit... of course there would be a lot of unseen costs in this, but i think its better than trying to save 2500 all at once.... what do you guys think?? Has anyone else on this fourm attempted this??

I think it can be done. I'd be willing to help you out as well. Can't be too hard in the end. You'll probably have to buy a voltage clamp (not sure how much they charge, but the rest isn't too bad to do on your own.

It can be done, tthe manifold you may have to buy or have made for some good $$$. Otherwise pipes can be bent relatively chea. When all is said and done you will most likely be in th esame price range though.

Thanks guys, i know the end price would prob. be about the same, but to me its easier to buy as i go, insted of saving up 2500 all at once. Any one have anyother thoughts or tips for me?

Last edited:
Yeah I sold alot of parts to do it yourselfers. So what are the 2 main components that re not available everywhere you will really need

The manifold

voltage clamp

You get those 2 things you can customize everything.....just get ready for a whole lot of headaches;)

The first kit I made for my pro used that same T25 from a DSM they are too small I think and I have a FP-DE not a FS-DE. PM me if you want some details or anything. I pieced mine together the first time for abotu a grand but I made my own mani also.

i just bought the may edition of HCI, the one with the protege, its got a great article about custom turbo kits.

mrwizard9k said:
what the hell is a voltage clamp

voltage clamp I believe is for the o2 sensor on the car, because the ECU has a tendecy to work against the car when boosted, simply put, it makes the ECU work with a turbo.

Equinox said:

voltage clamp I believe is for the o2 sensor on the car, because the ECU has a tendecy to work against the car when boosted, simply put, it makes the ECU work with a turbo.

:confused: hmmm?
come on i know you can do better than that:D

i'm working on 2 turbo projects...one i'm helping a shop build a t3 turbo for my pr5 and at home i'm building a junkyard turbo for one of my d16a6 crx engines

For the junkyard (homemade) unit i got a 14b from a 1gen eclipse and am using a stock crx hf header (cat bolted right up to the header). I found a shop that has prebuilt adaptors for the hf manifold to t25 and 14b turbos as there are several people who have done this route already.

For the fs-de you maybe able to use the stock header on a small turbo like the t25 b/c the cat also bolts up to the header and just have an adaptor plate made if the turbo flange and the header flange do not line up. Having an adaptor plate made is much cheaper than a custom header. Since i'm not going this route i never looked into its feasibility but it works for my rex.

good luck

VERY POSSIBLE TO PIECE TOGETHER. its all up to you man, if you want something that you would just buy and bolt on without ANY headaches you should go with the SPOOL turbo kit. you can get the upgrade with interco0Ler and piping (i think). talk to terry, hes the co0Lest and he would be able to help you out with everything.
if you absolutely want to go with your own "homemade" kit, its possible, and sometimes, i repeat SOMETIMES cheaper. you can find a lot of good stuff on ebay, i got my interco0Ler and tial wastegate from there. i got a lot of stuff from terry, SPOOLIN and he helped me out a lot. youre gonna have to shop around for all of the fittings, oil lines, interco0Ler piping, turbo, t fittings, etc. that took me the most time and it was a BIG HEADACHE! if you want to do it this way, be prepared to go to lowes or some hardware store quite often to get different fittings, bots, etc. sorry so long, just making you aware of the BIG PROJECT ahead of you.

besides that, theres a lot more too it, but IT CAN BE DONE. good thing about piecing your own kit is you can get what products you want. i wanted a big interco0Ler i got one. any more help needed, let me know.

Pro Fiz: I'm not saying "don't make your own kit", but I don't understand your logic. You don't wanna spend the 2500 all at once. That's fine by me. BUT, instead of spending a few hundred here and there for your custom parts, which can't be used UNTIL you get them all (~$2500 worth), then what's the difference? You might as well just take the money you'd spend "here and there" on custom parts and put it in a piggy bank.

Homemade kits can be cheap or they can be expensive.....my first kit on my protege ran me a total of 750 bucks all together and was totally sound till i shattered the cat and blocked the exhaust and then it bent a turbine blade making it squeal like a banshee.....as for the turbo kit in progress now......HAHAHAHA 750 yeah right I have that just in the turbo......this kit i'm doing now is pushing the 4 grand mark easily. Its all in what you want man and what grade parts you want.........oh yeah and a voltage clamp that is a piece that fits inline with the signal wire from your primary O2 sensor so that the ECU doesn't see above a certian voltage so it always thinks its seeing either lean to add fuel or a Stoch 14.7:1 A/F ratio and no the 12:1 A/F ratio that you have with the turbo.

1/4 Mile times

OK I know a turbo will increase your Hp and tor. Im thinking of putting a T3 turbo w/ an intercooler on to my stock p'5. I was just wondering first how much psi can I push w/ a T3 on my stock engine and secondly how much will it improve my 1/4 mile time. the spooling website said w/ the stage one tubokit( which im going to build myself) and w/ a intercooler it will boost the car up to about 200 hp. Is this true. Basically what im asking is what kind of power gains and 1/4 mile times I am going to gain. I don't want to drop that much money for a little one second 1/4 mile advantage

BELIEVE ME!!!, one second advantage might not seem like a lot, but it sure as hell feels like a lot. youre freeway advantage is the main thing you gain, but i am veryhappy with my turbo and its only bo0stin 4lbs. i tried driving stock p5s and cant, theyre too slow.. just my thoughts

Very true! I was just wondering what it would bring my 1/4 mile time down to since im running everything stock right now

Back