Can you believe it?!...Gonna sell my new audio equipment...

LazerBlueP5

:
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe // 6spd
Well...not all of it...just the sub (12" JL Audio w6v2), amp (JL Audio 500/1), and cap (alumapro5, 5 farads). The reason- on the side I do videography. We shoot weddings and local commercial. It's imperitive I have the trunk to haul my electronical equipment to different gigs. Plus...I've found, having no truck SUCKS! I've thought long and hard about it and decided it's best to part with my 2 month old system. I know I'll be taking a HUGE loss in money especially beings I spent over $4,000 for the whole install. I am however keeping my Boston Pros and my JL audio 300/2. I'll have to deal with a flatter sound without the thump.
Anyway this maybe a little rash, but saturday it all comes out. And the 300/2 is being relocated under the front seat. As for the rest of the stuff, it's getting re-boxed. I wish I could just do a return even though the gear is 2 months old. If no one on here is intererested I'm gonna set up an E-bay account an auction it off. The worst part is it wasn't even paid for- if it was I could just say OUCH, you live and learn. But I bought this on credit. I still will be paying on this 4k install for a long time. UGH Hopefully I get a good amount back for the gear. It's in litteral PERFECT condition, wasn't abused, and only has a few months of use in it, the sub is barely broken in. 1stMP3, any suggestions on what I should sell the stuff for?...Prices that is.

system2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a feeling you'd end up going down this road.
the problem is the setup doesn't work without the 300/2 but it can be sold without it. Just list that they should have it.
I would try for $1500-$1800 for the sub, amp, cap, and install boards and all that.
You may be able to rework the sub into the side and keep the amps in the floor and just make a cover for the vynal panels showing the amps. That way you have your trunk back and can load stuff on it.

hey i dunno if your willing to break it up, but im intrested in the 500/1 amp.

hey 1stMP3, think this amp would be cool pushin a single 10w7?

I posted those pics a few times but I don't know if he saw them.

Yes, the 500/1 is perfect for the JL 10W7.

trunk.jpg

4 8W3s were under the blue grill and there was an Xtant X604 under the plexi on the right. The floor had to come up 4"-5".

Enjoy!

I wish I could do both amps under the seat and keep a sub with bananna clips to pull out if need be. The problem is the cap. The cap's relays are way to large to mount under the seats. I could downgrade to a regular single fared can-style cap but then I'd have to put out $100 or so more dollars...just to put more stress on my weak-ass alternator as it is.
The other issue is noise. The set-up looks great but sounds horrible- NOT meaning AUDIO WISE, but the physical noise the false floor and box make when I hit bumps. It creaks like a mother-f*er- and drives me insaine!
Lastly the weight turned into sorta an issue for me too. Yeah..I know I know I should have thought of that but damn if the car doesn't drive sluggish with this gear. I noticed it when I first drove it home from Tweeter the day I got it back, I could FEEL the weight in the way it drove.
Dont get me wrong everyone- It sounds great, better yet, it sounds incredible! By far the best system I've ever had installed EVER in a car I've owned and I've owned quite a few- including a 3 JL 12 W6 setup! It hits hard and clean, and the mids and highs are right on. I just wish I could have the best of both worlds- space/practicality and sound.
Besides, not to mention my damn girlfriend complains when I actually turn it up a bit- she sits defiantly with her hands over her ears the whole time till I turn it down. *no I'm not whipped* lol

Anyway all the stuff is MINT. Original boxes and litterature and all. I just wish there was a way I can have it removed and the amp for my front speakers moved for no charge. I wonder if I explain I'm unhappy with the setup and all the creaking noise it makes....if, then, they'd yank it for free.

Well if any of you want first dibs before this gear hits E-bay email me. As you can tell from my forums posts the gear is only 3 months old!

Post some more pics...That looks like a sweet install. How much depth did you end up sacrificing to put the amps on the floor like that?

Thats actualy the only pic I have of that system, I rarely take pics.

LazerBlueP5 you could simply have them build a basic removable box and redo the panel in carpet, to aviod creeking. Then just a cover peice for where the sub box was and one for the amps and you could just dump whatever on top of the whole damn thing after removing the box.

lazer,
this is what I did in my trunk to conserve space. I can easily remove the subwoofer when I need the whole trunk. It's nowhere near as flashy as your setup but it suits me fine. I now have a Kenwood Sirius Tuner in place of that Pioneer XM Tuner. I only raised the floor about 3".

123741_72_full.jpg
123741_73_full.jpg
123741_74_full.jpg
123741_71_full.jpg
123741_83_full.jpg

So that's the stock floor right?

I saw your install on sounddomain. Nice and clean, but not flashy.

I'm debating over how flashy I want my system. I did the false floor in my 87 Cougar but I like to take things to the next level every time I get a new car.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/27000-27999/27197_4.jpg
I have also toyed with the idea of competing (just locally, I don't have the time to travel that much).

If 3" gets me functionality, I think with say 5" I can add some flash and still be able to drop the floor carpet over. With 5" i can also drop some 3" fans in to blow air from one side to the other (and leave vents by the light on the left and the jack on the right) to keep the amps cool year round.

For the sub(s) I would build a box that looks perminant, but can be slid back when the seats are folded down. (so I can get maximum storage w/o pulling the box entirely out of the trunk) For competitions I would just pull the stock floor out to reveal the amps below.

What do you guys think?

JellyBean: did you keep your spare? if so, how hard is it to get to it? and, did you use fans to keep the amps cool?

Craig, yeah I'm sure I could have them do it that way but it'll be way more money than it's worth to me right now. I'm upgrading the 'puter with a DVD-R and Authoring software- very PRICEY! Probably $600-700, not including the glidecam 4000 camera stabilizer and Bogen tripods I have to pick up which will run $800 together. You guys think car audio is expensive, try the world of pro-consumer videography. You can easily spend over $2000 just for a tri-pod. And a high quality 1/2" CCD Broadcast DVcam...your talking 10-$25,000. (Though I don't have that yet...lol) However when I do some "car" videos this summer of my P5 I'll be sure to post the MPG on the forum (if it supports mpg uploads).

Anyway at this point I'd be glad if they cut me a break on the work they are doing this weekend- afterall it's not too much. Mostly yanking stuff. But, hey, I SHOULD get all the parts back- the plexi to the amp rack, the neon lights, the monster cable etc. They better not try and keep that stuff I'll have to go in there and wreak havok.

I got a friend who's a photographer (or videographer or whatever you call it) for a TV station in Burlington VT. He has access to all the equipment and I told him we should do a P5 video. We were talking about making a video of famous movie scenes and I told him I'm in as long as there is a car chase involved.

Anyway, thats a sweet install Lazer, shame to see you toss it. I think you should keep the floor and opt for a removeable sub enclosure. If you put some bolts through those panels that would stop the rattling. Or perhaps place the stock floor over the whole thing like JellyBean.

Back