Turbo Kit Redesign

chdesign

In my endless pursuit for more power out of my FP-DE I have yet AGAIN redesigned my kit before I have even completed it totally. I had the turbo sitting similar to the BEGI kit but I'm just not happy with this and I'mm not happy with the Log or shorty manifold. SO I have started to fab a equal length short runner manifold. Runner lengths are aprox. 8" all 1.5" inner diameter I mean this thing will flow alot of gas!! :) I will post again once I have it finished.

Sorry forgot to attach the pic lol

Attachments

• dcp_0001.jpg
    dcp_0001.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 258
Spicy! Just curious, what's the ID of spools manifolds, both shorty and full?

For what it is worth, it is my understanding that you don't want to go too big as it will only decrease the exhaust gas velocity. Slower gas isn't what you want with a turbo.

Terry's comment is pretty much inline with the fact that they did the "research" and picked a setup. Maybe yours works better, maybe it doesn't.

From a strictly engineering level, there has to be an answer, but I couldn't tell you what it is. I have a hunch, but hopefully someone knows the answer, since too big or too small would have obvious limitations. I guess it is time to dig out some fluids and heat transfer and I.C. engine books, but I hate reading. If only I could have waited for the movie to come out. College would have been so much easier then!

Well I used the 1.5" inner diameter pipoing becuase it was very close to the same area in a cross section as the ports themselves from the head. I wanted to keep the port and runner size about equal as not to feel like I was sending gases through a straw but also not sending them through a huge tube also so I think I have picked a good size. I have to order some more piping though I ran out. I shoudl have this manifold finished this weekend...hopefully if all goes as planned I should be able to finish it someitme friday and test fit it also then make my downpipe from there. Should be right at the same placement as the Spool system but my manifold is a littel different design along with a different wastegate and I'm going to plumb the dumptube back into the downpipe for sound levels sake. I've been lazy today and haven't done anything on it yet but I'm going to order the rest of that piping right now and then it should be here tomorrow and I should be able to complete the #3 runner then. I have all the flanges made up they are all box flanges no rounded corners here but I'm not going for looks just functionality. Hopefully this new setup will be finished be the end or mid way to April....it kinda depends when I will be able to pick up my new front bumper as I dont' want to hack up the stocker so I got a different one so time will tell....I should be looking at similar numbers as the Spool Stage 3 as all things are about equal the turbo will spool faster than terrys in his kits but its also alot more pricey turbo :)

ok everyone here it is again all i have left to do is make the #3 runner and weld the inlet flange on and its done....as of now I'm waiting on my piping to come in to finish it UPS is screwing me and not delivering my packages for some reason.

Attachments

• dcp_0001.jpg
    dcp_0001.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 263
spoolinmp3 said:
Thats classified info:p
HAHA I know I know but I'm not gonna say....oh yeah Terry after looking at some close up pics of your turbo header I'm using the same material that yours are made of. Probably even the same supplier.....I used your size piping on my first turbo kit and i just could get the ports opened up enough to my liking so i went bigger on this one.

Todays work its about done ran out of wire for the welder though so that kinda hindered production for the day...here is the mani as of this afternoon.

Attachments

• dcp_2.jpg
    dcp_2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 127
well kinda and kinda not....there are differences....like my piping is bigger LOL and the routing is a bit different and my wastegate comes off the #1 runner....I mean hey just hire me already terry!!! lol

Back