Adding Cruise Control? and other Qs

stepson

Hey all,
Just got back from driving a 2k3 MazdaSpeed Protege (as well as a 2k3 Impreza WRX, more on that later). My only concern with the car is its lack of cruise control, as I do a lot of highway driving (100 miles every day ...). Is there a cruise kit? Has anyone added it successfully?

So anyone want to convice me to get the MSP instead of an Impreza? Neither comes with a sunroof (although the 2k4 WRX has it as an option). The MSP is cheaper, but the WRX is faster and AWD. But the MSP will probably be better on gas ...

Speaking of which, what do you guys get on the highway? I get like 30-32 on my current car, a 2000 Celica GTS (I'll miss my 6 speed!)

Hi! For $5,000 more (give or take), I do like the WRX. It is the only car I would consider under $25,000. Although; I did show some interest in the Cooper S in the beginning. I love my MAZDASPEED. I now have over 3,800 miles on it. There is no actual cruise option for the MAZDASPEED; but I guess, you could always get an aftermarket unit.

The Kenwood Sound in the MAZDASPEED is pretty awesome in my opinion. Not much out there, in the way of a factory installed stereo, that really even comes close. Certainly nothing in this price range. In the looks department, I also favor the MAZDASPEED. The WRX (in my opinion) just isn't that attractive, until you get to the STi version.

As far as gas mileage, I get around 22.5, because I cannot keep my foot out of it. Ha!! I have gotten as much as 23.6, though.

HAH! Another Celica driver jumping ship! Just like me ;) !

I worried about the cruise thing, too, but decided to just get the car and go from there. As for the Subie, I love the WRX, but Subaru of America and their warranty policies has made me decide to never buy a Subaru, regardless of how good the car is until their policies get changed....

stepson.
i always wanted the cruise control from the start along with sunroof and heated mirriors and heated seats. But you're not going to get these items in a Protege. They took out the cruise control because this car is designed for the 'driver's car'. Anyway, i don't miss cruise control at all because you don't want to be just cruising in this car. As for heated mirrors, i think this car should be equiped with it though.

you could prob take the parts right from the protege5 as it comes with the same steering wheel all u need to do is screw on the controls and wire it. it might be costly for the computer and motor for the pedal but if you want it that bad....

you will not be able to installed a "mazda" cruise control. Mazda took out the connectors from the main harness under the hood. Now you can installed cruise on regular pro without it the connectors are there but no in the MSP. You might want to shop around there are some pretty good aftermarket ones that are simple design and easy to install

scapamouche said:
As for the Subie, I love the WRX, but Subaru of America and their warranty policies has made me decide to never buy a Subaru, regardless of how good the car is until their policies get changed....

what are these policies??

Yes, I'm getting between 23.5 and 27 miles/gal on a 22 mile urban commute. Maybe 8-10 miles of that is at 60mph, the rest is stop and go, including stuck creeping in traffic jams. EPA numbers are 24 city, 30 hwy. I'm at about 2800 miles, I'm running 5w30 dino oil right now, and the tire pressures are 32 all around.

Hmm, let's see, what else would affect the gas mileage? Oh yeah! It's got Zaino on it! :D

The wrx is a cool car..but when i went to build one on the subaru site, it seems like you have to pay a lot for the good options...not much on the base model. By the time I had everything on it I wanted..it was around 30K or so...If I had the money, I'd get the WRX as it is a great car, but I love my MSP and I think it has the best bang for the buck..and it does look better than the WRX in my opinion...

yay for cars said:

what are these policies??

There have been several hundred cases of SoA denying warranty coverage on WRXs with gearbox issues.

In general, if there is a problem with 1st gear, their policy has been: "Oh, first gear? Obviously you've been racing, it's driver abuse. Warranty denied!"

This on a gear box I've heard called "the glass box"....

The last time I talked to a Subie dealer (at a Subie/Mazda dealer that does NOT carry the MSP) when he was badmouthing my MSP, he said that they were covering the first instance of tranny problems nowadays. That sounds like Toyota and Celica GT-S engines (blow up one, and they cover it..... thank heavens- that happened to me :( ) But in my mind the damage has been done, and I'm not interested in taking my chances.

Add to that the invitation to abuse the car that is implied by the SCCA membership INCLUDED WITH BUYING A WRX.... They WANT you to drive your car to its limits, but are makign usre to cut you off early if you folow their invitation.... no thanks....

should be more like Lancer EVO 8, or msp :)

Like AGR said... the stock stereo system is awesome... very nice interior compare to all the cars within price range...

I personally dont like the way WRX looks exterior... but our msp isnt all that nice either... so i'd say go for EVO 8 for exterior looks/power or msp for interior looks :p

Not sure where you are from stepson, but if its somewhere where it snows a lot, 4WD might be a big plus.
Otherwise, IMHO, it isn't worth the extra gas it consumes, and extra maintenance. Additionally, in my area, I frequently get nails and cuts in my tires due to the never-ending construction. With full-time 4WD, if you have to replace one tire, you have to replace them all, unless you like shelling out $$ to replace the diffs you burn out from the difference in rolling circumferance (1 new tire vs. 3 older tires).

The transmission was improved for the 03 model year somewhat. There is now a valve that lets out the clutch slowly if your revs are above a certain point (4k RPM I think) so you can't do a drop-clutch launch (certain death for a 4WD driveline). There are also rumours that the tranny has been strengthened internally, but no one can seem to say definatively.

The WRX is faster, but unless you are launching it, the MSP will feel faster. The WRX can be sluggish below 3500 RPM or so. It is a car you need to be in the right gear for for those opportunities when traffic opens up. The MSP on the other hand, due to its lower boost but higher compression engine, feels like a small naturally aspirated V6, and almost never can be "caught out" unless you are really lugging it. However, coming from a GT-S, you probably know how to drive with the revs in the right spot and the proper gear selected.

Other areas where I favour the MSP over the WRX are:
-The stereo in the WRX is abismal, and upgrades are difficult because of the very shallow door wells. Aftermarket speakers need spacers so their magnets can fit in behind the door skins. And if you keep the 6-disk HU, it has a tendency to screw up while changing disks, eat a CD, and requires sending back to Subaru to get a replacement (and 5 out of 6 of your disks back!)
-The stock tires are crap. They lose grip early, bark early, and suck in the summer AND winter. Lots of complaints on the Subie boards about them (and Subie has been using the RE91's for years.)
-The WRX could use a beefier rear sway to erase some of the understeer.

I too am considering a WRX over an MSP, even with a huge price diff in Canada. We get enough snow to justify it. Plus, the Subaru dealer can tell me exactly when the WRX will be in. Mazda dealers look at me with a blank face asking why the MSP is delayed, delayed, delayed.
I *need* a car before the beginning of April. No MSP by then, I'm ordering a 04 WRX. I like the new headlights and the new seats are to die for.

Grimace,
I'm from New Jersey ... we got quite a lot of snow this year, almost 30 inches I think, but normally its not that bad. I smacked a guard rail with my celica during the last snow storm, so I know about the dangers of snow, but I also drive 100 miles to work, so I'm not 100% sure its worth it.

You know, I'd hate to get an MSP and then when the 04 Impreza's come out, really regret it. But my girlfriend brought up a good point, she said in 6 months I'll probably be lusting after whatever car they have next anyway, since I do it all the time (RX-8 maybe?). ;)

The dealer I mentioned told me that they had put in an upgraded clutch when I asked what Subie had done to strengthen the tranny. I don't see that helping AT ALL when the clutch wasn't the weak link in the first place.....

Back