is the engine in the 03 turbo protege the same engine code as none turbo?

mr orange

please!!! i just bought one and am starting to think this is a stock mp3 engine with a garrett t25 on it, please tell me it was designed for boost in some way, like differant compression, better rods, pistons, oil squirters, somthing!!!!:confused:

Yup, same engine as a stock 2.0 with light boost. The boost is limited to 7.9psi so that the block and stuff didn't need to be strengthened.

Sorry if that bursts your bubble, if it's that a big a deal to you, maybe you should have done some research before buying...

I don't know of anyone pulling 7.9 psi stock. The car is set at 6.9. I have a peak and hold gauge and stock it showed .49 kpa which equals 6.9 psi. Since the CAI, it will usually show .52-.54 kpa. That is just over 7 psi. Others with guages are showing the same.

Britt

oh that sucks what kinda hp are people getting from them?
I have read statements that this engine is capable of 300hp @ crank, and/or 10psi of boost.

After that you will need some work done on the internals, maybe rods is the first issue.

Some people here are running 200Whp

mr orange said:
so would you say its similar to a stock honda 1.8 ls b18b, strength wise.?

t25 is good for 350 whp totally maxing it out. i'd say. the motor in the msp with very good tuning is good for...i'd say 250 whp.

b18b never came from the factory turboed. so it's kinda a rough comparision. but i know quite a few honda guys who turbo'd and are making quite a bit more then 250 whp stock block.

turbos and making big power is alot about tuning.

MSP has diff ecu programming, and i think it has different cams (not sure).

Other than that it is the same motor. The motors have oil squirters to begin with so it wasn't an addition for the MSP.

THese motors should be able to hold plenty of power without upgrading the internals. The transmission would go before the motor would. Upping the boost should be safe as long as you don't abuse the car.

Normally I would go along with this but if the car is running 7psi on the stock internals of a MP3 and you are saying that 10psi or 250whp is ok. I dunno, someone throw me a line or a site with more info before I raise the BS flag. Now I am not saying it wouldn't run it, but for how long...10k of hard driving? You would most likely need more than some internals to run that too? Help.

buster said:
Normally I would go along with this but if the car is running 7psi on the stock internals of a MP3 and you are saying that 10psi or 250whp is ok. I dunno, someone throw me a line or a site with more info before I raise the BS flag. Now I am not saying it wouldn't run it, but for how long...10k of hard driving? You would most likely need more than some internals to run that too? Help.

This has been covered numerous times in the "Forced Induction" Forum...Search for it...

The stock 2.0 liter FS motor found in the Protege sedan, 5, MP3 and Mazdaspeed Protege can handle ten psi as a daily driver no problem given proper tuning.

It can handle 12 psi just fine with propoer tuning, however, no one knows how long it can handle that much. Terry (aka spoolin') has been running 12 for awhile now with no issues.

Keith at Flyin' Protege has talked to numerous people at Mazda who have stated it can handle ten easy, and 12 psi too, but not regularly.

No BS, true stuff...The tranny will fail before the motor.

People who are running 10 or 12 psi aka Terry can do it becuz they have something (Piggy-back ECU) that can retard time so its not soo bad

BluMp3Turbo said:
People who are running 10 or 12 psi aka Terry can do it becuz they have something (Piggy-back ECU) that can retard time so its not soo bad

AKA: Proper tuning!

JrTekSilverP5 said:
is there a way to strenthen the tranny or get a better or stronger one???

Not yet...The stock is still pretty beefy. It is supposed to be able to handle 250 hp at the wheels before dying. Something like that.

so would you say its similar to a stock honda 1.8 ls b18b, strength wise.?

Please dont compare a Mazda to a Honda. Both are good cars but if you want a Honda type of feel I am sorry to tell you that you picked the wrong car. B18 anf FS are not going to feel the same. First I dont know to many people running 300 plus horsepower to the wheels without upgrading the eternals and deffintely reinforcing the Hondas open cylinder walls with sleeves. Oops I forgot about the blown engine guys. Secon Mazdas F series engines are long stroke engines which are designed for more torque ( someone correct me if I am wrong) then just revving all the way to redline to go somewhere. Which is why you will se the F2 in the b2200 trucks and I believe the FS was actually designed for a truck but that may be wrong, but it was originally used in heavier cars, and I belive it was for the torque but that maybe wrong. Mazdas B series like the Miatas which I believe are short stroke engines which should help you rev better like hondas. If their could be any comparison the FD is more like a B20 block and the B18 would be more like the Mazdas B series engines and that is if you could make any comparison. The B20 block makes good torque to my understanding which is why alot of guys use the B20 block from the CRV with a b16 head.

Last edited:
twizyours said:
If their could be any comparison the FD is more like a h20 block and the B18 would be more like the Mazdas B series engines and that is if you could make any comparison. The H20 block makes good torque to my understanding which is why alot of guys use the H20 blcok from the CRV with a b16 head.

Not that its really a big deal or any thing but its B20 not H20 :)

Back