engaging the clutch the wrong way?

krillin

:
'05 Mitsubishi Lancer Special Ralliart Limited OZ Rally Edition
hey,

i'm only posting this question because i know that almost everyone on this forum knows how to drive a stick shift and went through some sort of learning process.

i've noticed that when i engage the clutch while in first gear that i tend to move my foot upwards until the clutch engages THEN i pull my leg back. i have been told by a couple of people that i should be pulling my leg back from the get go. am i doing it wrong? i feel more comfortable doing it this way but i noticed that if i wear sneakers that the clutch pedal tends to slide along the tread underneath my shoes, which makes it hard to drive with sometimes so i normally like to wear shoes with very little tread. also, i get the feeling that if i continue to drive the way i do that i'll wear the carpet where my heel is at. i feel like i have more control having my heel on the floor while engaging but if it's wrong to do it this way i'd rather start over again and learn to do it right. does anyone have any comments on this?

I drive the exact same way and i have worn out my carpet from both my heels (mainly clutch tho) this is my first manual car so I wouldnt know if its right or not.. i dont leave my foot on the clutch or anything, i just slowly let it in and then take my heel off. I feel i have more control and im not just dropping the clutch and jerking the car around. Not only does this wear out the carpet, it wears out the rubber on the clutch pedal and leaves a black mark on the rubber on my shoes...

I assume this is the right way to drive but I guess I wouldnt mind some advice either..

To add on to that question, how do you know when the clutch is wearing out and how long does it usually last for a typical driver? and for everyday driving whats the best way to drive for the clutch? I pretty much learned for to drive stick on my way home from the dealership.. the P5 was easy to learn on but I wanna make sure im driving right.

hey elem,

have you tried just pulling your leg back from the start? it feels weird doesn't it? i think it's how most people do it though. bleh, now i gotta change the way i drive.

when driving manny tranny i move my whole leg. but thats just me. no manny in p5 tho, wish i got it :,( i dont think theres a right or wrong way to move your leg

I could just move my whole leg and not hinge it if it was a truck or a camaro with a heavy clutch (ive driven my friends cars).. but the clutch is soo light on the p5 that not hinging your foot will cause it to jump because you usually let it off too fast.. or burn the clutch a little because your not letting it off fast enough and your revving high with it halfway out..

Thats about all I gathered from driving stick.. but i could be wrong in my habits.. as long as you dont burn the clutch i think whatever way is easier for you is the way to go.. someone let me know if im wrong..

i don't think that with our stock clutches that it's a problem to slip it like you're doing...perfectly normal...

but there are other performance clutches that you have to drop the clutch every time or you will kill it...for the rx7 there is a clutch that you have to drop it every time and use the throttle to smooth acceleration or you will kill the clutch...i can't imagine how much patience that would take to get good at

well, i just got back from practicing for the first time. all i gotta say is, "DAMN". basically i gotta unlearn 1 week of habits and learn all over again. i was driving circles in an empty parking lot. i can get into first if i do it slowly. i stalled the car more times when pulling my leg back then i did when i lifted my foot(only stalled like 3 times total). the thing is that i don't want the bottom of my shoe rubbing on the pedal. that's why it seems harder to drive with crosstrainers on. that's also why i want to learn to use my leg and not my foot.

after driving around the parking lot like 30-45 min i thought i had it pretty much down. then i get to a light and someone is right behind me. i stalled the car. i think it was cuz i was nervous. it sucked. i'm pretty frustrated right now. i don't even want to drive it to work tomorrow.

I dont believe theres an absolute way to drive a clutch exept the way that works for you(hard to break habbits once u have them!). Some habbits are bad and burn through clutches like water(mine):) I find theres almost always a better, faster way to drive a manual but that usually comes at the cost of clutch life.

and I dont know what every one else thinks but launching aside I think the prot's manual is a decently smooth tranny but my p3 is still stock:( so Ill get back to u on how good it really is

by the way if your lookin for clutch life just drive like a sunday granny :D

sundevilMP5 said:
i don't think that with our stock clutches that it's a problem to slip it like you're doing...perfectly normal...

what do you mean by "slip it..."? are you referring to what i'm doing?

for first gear and reverse i do the thing wear i rest my heel on the carpet and lift the rest of my foot up slowly. i think you do have better control. After the clutch engages i take my foot off of the carpet and onto the foot rest,

for the other gears i do that whole leg thing.

the only things my friend's told me not to do was to ride the clutch on slopes. I was doing that instead of using my brakes so my car wouldn't roll backwards. Makes sense though, i'm sure in the long run it's bad for the clutch.

well, i have no choice but to take the car to work today. i have no other car to use since my sister has class and brother has work. i guess i'll drive the way i've been driving before.

Back