Clunk Updates

Understood newF. I have read all your posts and understand the background. Since you've been sick, I've sorta been waiting patiently to see if others perhaps were doing anything else.

As for Sentra Boy. Yes, all cars have problems, but reading all the Mazda literature, the MSP is it's benchmark performance car (not mentioning the RX8 ofcourse), meant for DRIVING ENTHUSIASTS. People that purchase this car will pay more particular attention to 'issues' than your average driver.

I honestly believe that Mazda will produce a permanent fix, but the question is "when?". Hopefully newF continues to lead this campaign for us all......

Guys, somehow I goofed. I thought the district manager was coming in Wednesday. Turns out, he was in yesterday. He sent me an email last week saying this, but it wasn't really clear. Truly my fault though. I will phone or email him tomorrow if I can catch him and find out if there's anything new.

My dealer kinda told me what he said about the fix. Basically, they think they got one, but, we're looking at a couple of months before they call it a REAL fix and do a new TSB. They got to try a few things, and make sure they REALLY work this time instead of doing it premature.

Remember the 4 different releases of bushings? A through d? Well, I'm sure they don't want to go through another 4 before finding a real fix, so they are testing it for real this time by the sounds of it.

Again, I haven't actually talked to MCI this week, but that above seems to be what's going on just from talking to the dealer.

Way back when I started this escapade. I told suggested to them that if their going to really fix this problem, don't just make another bushing, slap it on, notice it doesn't make a noise for 1 week and call it fixed. IT's nothing for a bushing to last a few weeks, we all know that. So they GOT to try it out for a few months first.

There's also talk that the Speeds need a different fix of somesort because the back suspension is indeed a little different somehow. I thought they were identical with the exception of the extra tuning in the struts.....guess not.

(bowdown) NEWF. Your the man!! once again thank you for all you have done. All us MP3 and MSP owners thankyou. You really seem to have your way with those mazda peeps. my dealer just said "they are suppose to do that, it a high performance set up"

Also i jsut had my bushings taped, so it will hopefully hold me over till the fix. plus it is warm now so that will def. help.(sun)

Last edited:
thanks Paul.. although I don't think I'm doing all that much, just trying to help that's all.

AS for having my way with MAzda...I wish. Some of them are REALLY hard headed. It took me a long time to get someone to really listen. And my dealer has been behind me all of the way, so obviously that is a major help.

laterz

Newf,

As others have said, thanks for staying on top of all this.

I guess since a fix is a few months off, I'll take the ol' girl to get the bushings replaced again..(damn clunk)

Newf : so we are a few months away eh?

But is it possible you help me tell the district manager guy about my dealer and lay the smack down on them and tell them to either replace my bushings NOW or use the telfon tape idea..... they arnt doing jack about it

I got an email from the guy today, he's travelling all over the east coast until the weekend. He's going to call me at the house so we can talk early next week.

Damn, wish I wasn't so stun, now I gotta wait another week. Arg. I was supposed to see him Tuesday, but it was the first GORGEOUS day we have had since last Sept. and all I could think about was getting home to clean the MP3. :)

Well, at least she's clean now.

No.5 said:
Understood newF. I have read all your posts and understand the background. Since you've been sick, I've sorta been waiting patiently to see if others perhaps were doing anything else.

As for Sentra Boy. Yes, all cars have problems, but reading all the Mazda literature, the MSP is it's benchmark performance car (not mentioning the RX8 ofcourse), meant for DRIVING ENTHUSIASTS. People that purchase this car will pay more particular attention to 'issues' than your average driver.

I honestly believe that Mazda will produce a permanent fix, but the question is "when?". Hopefully newF continues to lead this campaign for us all......

please don't kid your self it's the exact same thing as a Spec V, an econobox trying to turn sport. Driving Enthusiasts, no the car was NOT designed for driving enthusiasts, and it is not the benchmark car, the car was designed for one thing, to bring the honda civic si crowd over to mazda, it's a good car (you could even say great), but not an entusiasts car, true entusiasts would of bought a RWD car, a true performance 2-door. The RX8 is a good car...it's no RX7 replacement though...if mazda doesn't get a true RX7 replacement out soon...the STi looks mighty tasty :)

To go a little off topic here...I know it's sad...but it's the truth...the only econobox that really has endless potential is the Civic platform...I'm not joking, you may be laughing your ass off. Honda did something right, without trying to do what it was doing. A properly built up EG/EK civic, will blow the doors off a properly built spec v or MSP, in all catagories, it's due to the almost endless aftermarket for these cars, but honda made it easy to swap engines/trannies from other hondas into these cars, to keep costs down it used the same foot prints. This is where the MSP/Spec V fail. the Spec V although it has a very capable tranny, the engine will not run any more than 7 psi of boost reilably unless if you strengthen the engine (which isn't too costly) but the aftermarket isn't there. The MSP same thing almost...the engine is capable (well more capable than the tranny) but the tranny won't beable to take much more boost before you can't run it reliabliy long term, I have no idea how much it takes to rebuild a tranny..but it sounds more expensive than strengthing an engine (JWT turbo kit for the spec is 5K US, and it comes with full internals). Which is pretty funny, since I used to laugh at all the civics...civics are only given a bad name because of all the ricers...well so are most imports to domestic drivers.

Back on topic now...I have no doubt mazda will try to fix it if enough people keep on pushing for it. But if you think about it, it's still a Protege Mazda's econobox, their low end model.

The Spec V has a prominant paint problem, where you gotta like wax it good so you can protect the paint, since it tends to chip easily, (I haven't had any problems, cept the time when a fucker sideswiped me, but I've put on like 3 coats of meguires gold class wax when I first bought the car)

Nissan has done jack all for the sentras, the 350Z however, one guy gets like small paint chips on his car, and nissan offers to buy the car back.

the MSP was aimed at a crowd that typically doesn't have too much money (compared to those who would buy an RX8) that's the target demographic, obviously mazda will take care of any RX8 problems before tackling the MSP problems.

I've never driven an MSP so I don't know how bad or annoying this clunk is. newf, it's a good thing that you're leading some sort of action to get this fixed. I don't know what actions you've done, but the Spec V owners go the attention of nissan (for the 2002 trannys being gay) by constantly phoning the consumer deparment lines of nissan, and constantly nagging dealerships until something was done. Now there is some sort of recall for some 2002 trannys to be swaped to a 2003, which is the fix for that problem.

I also believe you shouldn't just leave this to newf to do by himself, everyone should get involved, everyone should take a stand, don't leave newf to do all the work.

I suggest everyone with an mp3/msp should phone up the consumer 1800 # and complain about the clunk, and go to their dealerships to see what they can do to help get this issue resolved faster.

Good luck with your clunk hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

Last edited:
I would also like to pass my thanks along to newf for his efforts. I printed another thread from the board and took it to the dealer who had given me a hard time about the clunking noise on my MP3. They wouldn't replace the bushings the first time, but did the second time,I forget which version (A-D) it was. That was a couple month's ago and all has been fine since, but I anticipate problems with them down the road and support your efforts for a permanent fix.

ZOOM CLUNK ZOOM CLUNK

Regarding the clunk, the dealer just called and said they put on new Polyurathane Bushings with Grease Fittings. He recommended I re-grease every other oil change and I will never have this problem again. Boy, if all you MP3 guys (and gals) had used my dealership you would never have these long term problems that you have had to put up with. Mazda of Bedford (Cleve, Oh) 2 Orange and 5 Black in stock as we speak!!! #1244(mspo) (drinks)

Last edited:
Well I just got the MP3 back after 3 days at the dealer.
Mazda has issued a modified bushing to fix the problem. I have the part # but it's in the car so I will post it tomorrow. sorry
It's a very nice day here and no cluck. What else can you ask for.

New bushing are better than SEX!!! (I really mean that NOT).

hmm.... I wonder if this is the up dated fix.....if not they're going to sell a hell of alot of those bushings. Got the # for thier parts guy??

Hmm.....my car's goin back in the dealer on Monday....I need some part #'s or tsb#'s people. I need to give em thime to order em. =) man I excited....

okay I got the part number but I think its the same as before
BN7H-28-156D

My invoice states
Customer states knocking noise from rear
Check out - Deteriorated Bushings
Contacted Tech Assist. Case #292648, Replace
rear sway bar bushings with modified parts

S0003XDX 0.6 R0802BRX 0.3 80/9E (what ever that means)

yeah, thats the same damn bushing....nothing new.

Also, thanks again newf! (don't know how many times i can say thank you):cool:

Like I said..I'm pretty sure newf isn't the only one that can be more involved...unless if he has ties to mazda that no one else has. Which by the sounds of things he does.

Good job newf :)

I really want to know if they are going to fix it...
coz I want to drop the car, but i want to wait til mazda fix the problems first....

Back