Clunk Updates

The thing that worries me is that Mazda Canada is doing this fix. Mazda Canada and Mazda USA are two completely different monsters. I wonder if a fix will make it to the states, if one becomes available.

Chris

It better come to the states. We have the majority of the mp3's here. if it doesn't then going to freaking go ballistic or something.

Yes it is just plane white teflon tape.

I can't see why the states would not be infomed. I mean, Racing Beat is involved in this process as well, so they seem to be redesigning the bushings or fabricating a new bushing and bracket combination. If this is the case, it's called a Recal, or updated part, in which case it should be provided to ALL MP3's regardless of where u are. And speeds of course. This is just speculation on my behalf right now

As I said before, I will know more after the next meeting. Probably next week

Clunk in the rear

Hey all - this is my first post to the group but I felt that this was an issue that required a reply. I just had my bushings replaced (2 weeks ago) and everything seems to be fine - not a sound yet. It did take a few trips to the dealership to get some attention from the service department. I noticed from the comments on the work order that the dealership called MAZDA HQ to get advice on what they needed to do to correct the problem (this took 3 visits). This was after they ordered the wrong bushings and then insisted that the noise was just a loose spare in the trunk (nice try on their part). When they finally broke down and admitted to the problem they did call and get advice from the top. This tells me that MAZDA is aware of the issue - I just can't understand why they aren't doing something about it. I don't know how long this fix will last but I'll keep you posted.

once canada recalls/REALLY fixes this issue, if mazdausa doesnt follow suit automatically(i think they will, but just in CASE they dont), I will just go to a dealer with the entire history of newf and his dealings with mazda canada and mazda canada's findings etc etc.....****** powerpoint presentation if they want one :)

i cant see how they could deny it after that

anything new?? i am taking my car in tom. i would like to print out an update for my service tech.

ok guys. As some of you may or may not be aware. I've been really sick for over a week now. I'm just getting up and about now. Not being well had put a delay on me getting a hold of Mazda. I did contact my mazda guy yesterday. I have scheduled a face to face meeting again on Wednesday. He's coming in anyhow so hopefully I'll be better again, can't see why not, and I'll finally have some more news....I hope.

newf said:
ok guys. As some of you may or may not be aware. I've been really sick for over a week now. I'm just getting up and about now. Not being well had put a delay on me getting a hold of Mazda. I did contact my mazda guy yesterday. I have scheduled a face to face meeting again on Wednesday. He's coming in anyhow so hopefully I'll be better again, can't see why not, and I'll finally have some more news....I hope.

is he one of the big cheeses?

can you just tell him to make a temp. TSB or sth and make all the dealers be aware of the teflon tape fix?

like tell him to tell dealers to do the tape fix until they come up with a permanent fix..... my dealer isnt buying the tape idea...:mad: they said they need some verification from MC first...

thanks Newf

My dealer is not trying the teflon tape either; actually they don't even want to replace the bushings. I've had an Orange MSP for about a month now, and it has been clunking since the day I purchased it. Ironic enough, I never heard the clunk during the test drive. But then again, the sales dude was talking in the backseat, the stereo was on, and we were on an even road surface. Knowing what I know now, it would have swayed me away from purchasing it. It's damn embarrasing when people ask "what's in your trunk?". I reply "It's a Japanese Mazda Engineer trying to fix my clunk problem".

Suffice to say I'm not pleased at Mazda's design build (previous Honda owner). When the heck is there going to be somekind of Corporate annoucement from MCI outlining when it may be fixed; or atleast a forecasted date?

Last edited:
You did your test drive with the stereo on? That's what you play with in the parking lot. Always know to listen for what the car does and what noises it makes when you test drive it. Leave the radio for sitting in the lot while they 'work' on your price.
I thought that was a given.
The Clunk issue does suck though. I had mine replaced early february, and I think they need it again already. I was under the car when I put my autoX tires on and it looks like one of the 'replaced' bushings is about to fall out! Have to see what that's about.

Correction....the stereo was not played during the test drive. However the car had been inside a warm enclose for a few days, so I'm assuming temperature had a bit to play into the equation. Regardless off the temperature, the test drive was on a smooth road, paying particular attention to car features/handling, breaking, acceleration, engine sounds, ect.

Anyways, I'm waiting for a fix for the clunk. The car is great otherwise.

All cars have problems.

Since you're a previous honda owner, hondas generally tend to be the best built japanese cars you can buy. But even their civic Sir (the ugly one) has problems. interior rattles, funny engine noises.

Mazda has their clunk, and probally very minor interior rattles, well it was for their P5 when I Test drove one.

My Spec V has some problems as well, usually all related to cold temps, my suspenion whines (which is the HLSD) when it's like really cold and I Didn't give it a chance to warm up.

I have some minor rattles, but dynamat seems to stop those, and there are evendly two settings on my sunroof to be opened, one which it stops sliding open at 80-90% to reduce wind noise, then hold it down again it opens to 100% but over like 40KM/h you get crazy wind noise, which I find can be aliviated by opening a window a crack.

I'm not sure how bad this "clunk" is but it'll probally (not) be fixed for the 2003.5s.

you paid what 30K (canadian) for your car? I paid like 23K (canadian) I paid in full, so I don't have an option to drop the lease or anything like that, but if it annoys you enough, just go to the dealership, you're supposed to have a bumper to bumper warrenty.

Hey

I have MSP # 1244 and I read the whole thing (and now I'm really cryin'). Mine is at the dealer today for the ZOOM CLUNK ZOOM CLUNK.
1244 (mspo)

Last edited:
Reading just this thread is only abbout 10% of the whole story. I only started this thread because for some reason I couldn't post in the other one any more ??? wtf?

Anyhow, I'm supposed to meet this guy today afte work, but I can't get a hold of him today....arg.....I'm going to Mazda in about 2 hours anyways.

I'm getting really impatient now. And with the other problems on the speeds........things aren't looking good for another Mazda for me at this stage. I keep saying I'm getting one, but in the back of my head there's this huge voice telling me not to.

on another note. My car, with the teflon tape, is still pretty good. It'll be 3 months April 3rd. Longest time ever. She's never been this quiet. Only hear it when going over a really strange bump which isn't often

Back