Clunk Updates

I can't seem to post in the other thread anymore...been trying to for 2 days, so here is the message I wanted to post ages ago

well, the district manager for East Canada seems pretty good so far. Keeps in touch and so on. Nothing but helpful, and the only one to actualy show me some respect so far. Which is something I don't understand, because it's not like I'm yelling at people or throwing my fists at people...yet :) I've only talked to these people in a very calm matter, willing to listen to every word, and I simply reply with my thoughts when given the chance.

But, the techs are another story I'm not getting into. god help us all.

They got their hands on an MP3.... mind you, not one I told them about so it wasn't even making a noise when they got it. OH MY. Anyways, there was some confusion with Toronto_Rajs car on Monday/Tuesday. The dealer failed to mention it to the owner that MCI wanted the car.....or the dealer wasn't informed...or something... Like I said...confusion somewhere. Anyhow, the dealer has been contacted again, at least that's what I'm told, and we are to arrange another appointment. Meantime, Toronto_Raj has had all struts, links, bushings etc replaced, and is till getting the clunk. Which is actually a good thing at this point. Although, ideally, MCI should have looked at it when the bushings were old and worn. So now that idea is gone out the door.

Anyone else out there that has a car clunking REALLY bad, I mean REALLY bad, like over tar lines, and pebbles, maybe the sway bar moves around some? Just curious, maybe we can get two cars on the go. Remember, MCI HQ is in Scarborough.

I've been thinking as well. The general tone I had before was that we should be patient with Mazda, not drive our dealers too nuts while they are making a proper fix. But, I'm thinking this is probably the worse thing we can do right now. Make it known that your car is falling apart. Now Mazda is listening at least to some degree, the more complaints the better. After my phone call today with a contrary Tech, I could care less if other MP3 owners are bugging them.

I want to STRESS VERY CLEARLY, that anyone with a MAZDASPEED...go b**** until your blue in the face.

Anyhow, they are still very serious about finally getting this thing taken care of. I believe at least that. they just need to get their s*** together first. No surprise there, I mean this is the company that took 1 and a half years to admit they we even had the problem to begin with.

As always, I'm doing whatever I can. Although, I must say, the chances of me getting another Mazda is becoming very slim. I'm just not impressed, very tired of this, and no car is worth loosing this much personal time. I think toronto_Raj has completely given up, even considering moving to a WRX or Spec V.

Don't sound like a bad idea to me.

Rumour has it, they are actually delaying the RX-8 launch to get this problem fixed. Funny eh.

Last edited:
if they are willing to ship my car down there to work on it and give me a courtesy car i wouldnt mind letting my car go for 2 months or so... ;P Im in Vancouver...lol

but its nice to see that they are really working on this problem... they are finally serious about it this time...

and one more thing..... my front stabilizer bushings are squeaking again after getting them replaced.... are they working on that too?

Funny that you mention it newf....but i'm totally thinking of going into extreme debt and getting a WRX as well....i'm sick of this crap.....why should i have to b**** so much?:wtf:

yes, they know about the fronts as well, And the struts. I made it clear that the clunk should be looked at first, then the struts, and then the front bushings and they agreed.

Newf, I'd post this in the Mazdaspeed forum to get some attention from the boys (and girls) over there.

I just had my second set of 'D' bushings installed had the clunk back inside of 4 days. (its was -35 here in Calgary for a while maybe that helped the clunk come back fast)

The squeak is gone for now or at least extreamly minimized. even from the front, (they did both bushings).

I think MCI should come look at the problems in their true environemnt rather than trying to reproduce it in a lab.

B

Snype, I agree

On the brighter side of things, I'm still noise free since Jan 3rd with the Teflon tape and part 156D idea. This is the longest I've ever gone, and being that it's winter and the roads are more bumpy around here because of ice....the clunk should be coming back faster! That's what used to happen last year, the icey roads would work the bushings more and cause them to wear faster.

Don't know why it's working this time, it never did the other times we tried tape, but hey, I'll take it! It will come back though. We've done this tape idea countless times and it always comes back.

I do hear the noise every now and then....like once every week or so. And sometimes I'm not sure if it's really the noise or not.

newf : can you tell the MC rep or MC tech that did or suggested the teflon tape trick to make a notice on the tech hotline or a TSB?

Cause if that happenes then my dealer will do it for me.....

Your letters have made it to customer service at MCI , and the head Master Tech himself as well as his colleagues.

Whether or not they will contact u individually I'm not sure. I doubt it, as the realistic way to this would be to fix one car, and recall the rest afterwards. But, the effort was made.

Their looking at another Car on Thursday of this week with the same problem. Apparantly, this is another car they found themselves, and I have no idea who it is again. I hate that.

till next time.

thanks newf for keeping us updated.... keep up the good work!

i hope they contact us individually tho.... then we can really give it to them lol......

whenever i corner hard now it seems my rear sway bar is gonna fall off.... ARG.......

initial33

Bring the car in, keep bitching, it all works prove a point

And Stou, if there was a Subie dealership here..... I'd have a hard time not going to a 2004 WRX....assuming I could find the money. Still, for the $$$, the MP3 and Speeds are the better deal in my eyes. I don't follow the subie forums, I wonder how many troubles they have had since being introduced?

Once again, thank you for all your help with this newf....I phoned mazda canada yesterday after i found out that 2 dealerships wouldn't replace my bushings anymore....i found one in the city that would though and i reported the other two to mazda canada...i hope they yelled at them. Its good though to know that they are looking at yet another mp3. If all goes well, this could be the largest recall i've seen since the ford explorer tires

So you guys really believe there is gonna be a recall on this?...

Cause Mazda is gonna have to shell out a huge chunk of $$ to do this.... the bushings.. the struts... etc.....

They got too. It's a recognized problem now. They want to sell those new speeds......they got to.

Otherwise, there's a s*** load of useless cars sitting at the docks at BC

I find it hilarious that my car is fine now for over 2 months....hilarious.

I hardly ever get clunk usually only during rapid changes in temp... I live in cali and my car is pretty fine my dealer just greases them like every 1,500miles

so what happens if they find out the problem exists in the struts?.... they gonna remake a new set of struts and replace every single one on the MP3s?!

Honestly, I doubt there will be a recall, they will simply amend the MSP to seel new as best as possible, stop allowing bushing replacements all together and change the design for other production cars that may encounter the same problem.

OUr only hope is the racing beat stops ******* around and produces there original part so we can at least buy a stronger setup.

Back