J-SPEC 2.0 FS-ZE intake manifold question

azeli73

Contributor
:
2002 Protege 5 Turbo
I was checking out corksport.com and got to thinking about this mod. Beside the parts below, what else would be needed?

J-SPEC 2.0 FS-ZE intake manifold $530
FS-ZE intake camshaft $180
FS-ZE Piston set $180

I would have it all professionaly installed because that is not something I can knock through in a weekend. can you guys help me out on just how much this all would cost. Parts + labor(roughly)?

pistons will cost a ton....cams, will cost around 200, and the intake manifold might cost around 300, but the manifold is a guess

why not get mazdaspeed parts and the JDM ones and then get a turbo...

also, not everyone wants a turboed motor

oh, i read corksports statement of if used with the intake camshaft and piston you can bumper your hp to the level is was meant to be. which i thought would bump me to 170... wishful thinking i guess...

Turbo sounds pretty ******* good now! (laugh)

No. Don't mean to be a rude, but I hear we would need to upgrade our cpu to get that kinda power. Even than the 170hp is suppose to be in some Japanese metric term, really u will only gain about 20hp.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Because I was thinking about doing the same thing until I read this somewhere.

Your right, member have done a full engine swap and not seen much gains becuase of the ECU.

Basic mods to have 180-200hp to my 2003 protege 2.0

Hi I'd like to have any info of you guys, because i try to reach 180-200hp to my 2.0...

I have put a AEM cold air intake
and a Remus exhaust on it...

Can you help me with that?? I have heard of pieces from the FS-ZE...anyway
edu me on it please...

thanx

Irishman said:
Hi I'd like to have any info of you guys, because i try to reach 180-200hp to my 2.0...

edu me on it please...

thanx

Search! It's been discussed many many many many times. If you want that kind of HP, buy a turbo.

yea, to get that kind of power NA is pretty damn hard......easiest way is just to get a turbo......the NA route is kind of expensive as well

Irishman said:

edu me on it please...

thanx

Hi Irishman, for ~200whp, here is a good thread everyone should read.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78516&highlight=test

HTH.

What benefits and hp #'s would guys with MSP's get form a J-spec intake manifold, and would it be hard to install. I'm not sure but I think the J-spec and MSP intake manifolds are different.

found a bad ass website

edu me on it please...

thanx

http://www.performanceprobe.com/index2.php
it is mostly for a ford probe, which uses a mazda engine, it was very helpfull for me, but i'm a ford probe guy, but most of it is universal

I'll never get over the obsession with fsze parts -for my dollar, i'd go look at custom FORGED high compression pistons - they wont cost a great deal more, you get a far higher compression ratio, etc.

the fsze is not that much different to the fsde...certainly not different enough to warrent spending the kind of money that the parts cost.

Irishman: if you're chasing big numbers like that, get ready to drop a huge wad of cash on a rather wild, custom built engine....just about every component is going to need to be changed, and custom fabricated. Follow the link in my sig.

Last edited:
Good thing that some else has brought this thread up!

I got FS-ZE intake manifold to my hands and I'm going to install it to my FS-DE later. Just curious about fuel lining.. I know I have to use ZE's fuel rail, pressure regulator is same, but what I have read, I can't use my DE's fuel line pulsation damper.
But I'm not sure about that can I leave it off? Will it still work fine/properly without it?

i just did that swap a couple weeks ago. i was able to use my old fuel rail just fine, but you need to get new, longer fuel lines to run the japanese rail and regulator. also, if you're using an aftermarket header, you'll also most likely have to delete your egr, and one other thing that's slipping my mind at the moment. just pm me , and i can help you to the best of my knowlegde, took a bunch of pics and documentes it as best possibe...

Did you notice how "big" improvment in powerband? Was it worth it?

At this time I have normal header and jdm vs. edm egr-pipe is same, fuel regulator is also same. So only fuelrail, linings and that pulse damper are different.

I have the rail, and fuellines should be easy to make custom. But I'm mainly thinking that damper, can I leave it off, or should I hunt it somewhere?

Some MX-5 uses same, so it should be easy...

i just did that swap a couple weeks ago. i was able to use my old fuel rail just fine, but you need to get new, longer fuel lines to run the japanese rail and regulator. also, if you're using an aftermarket header, you'll also most likely have to delete your egr, and one other thing that's slipping my mind at the moment. just pm me , and i can help you to the best of my knowlegde, took a bunch of pics and documentes it as best possibe...

Enjoy your CEL.

Back