short shifter whistle??

azeli73

Contributor
:
2002 Protege 5 Turbo
just took my car out for the first time and I'm hearing a faint whistle after installing my kartboy SS and bushing. I was driving in forth and let off on the accelerator to coast to the red light ahead of me and could hear a faint whistle sound. Once I engaged the clutch, the whistle disappears. Help me out here. I'm at a loss as to what it could be... :confused:

just tranny/gear noise probably, I noticed the same thing when I put on my B&M, you gotta think how much tighter everything is now, there for transmitting more noise.
Mike

my only guess would be a loose heatshield bolt over the cat on the exhaust, or the heatshield itself rubbing on the linkage. All just a guess,

double checked all the nuts and bolts. I pulled down the heat shield a little bit to make sure there was no contact made with the shifter... My guess is a break in period. I really can't be doing a whole lot of harm here.

Yeah, I'm getting, I think, the same thing!!??? :wtf:

Very weird, when a gear is engaged and I'm not giving gas it makes a noise, the I give it some gas and it stops, but then as I give it more gas another noise comes in.
This happens in all gears and I didn't notice that happening until halway through my morning commute. I installed the shifter and bushings on Saturday and went out twice this weekend without any noise.

ok, well i got my Kartboy shifter + bushings installed last Monday, and sure enough, i hear this same whistle as described by cbcbd... :(
(woowoo)

I had this same problem. I only installed the Kartboy bushing. There's an OLD thread on it somewhere if you care to search. Basically it's just a vibration created by the hard poly shifter bushing. Doesn't do any harm. Dies down a tad over time.

Kooldino said:
I had this same problem. I only installed the Kartboy bushing. There's an OLD thread on it somewhere if you care to search. Basically it's just a vibration created by the hard poly shifter bushing. Doesn't do any harm. Dies down a tad over time.

Yep...
Mark from Kartboy told me it was just an Increase in NVH (Noise, Vibrations, Harshness) or something like that... lol

I heard a real light metallic whine when I first installed my bushings. It went away about 2,000 miles later. Nothing to worry about.

s***..I hate hearing about this whistle and vibrations right after I just order a Kartboy short shifter and bushings...that kind of sucks...my car already makes enough noises with the front and rear suspensions and the stupid dashboard sometimes...

It does seem to fade over time. But I can still hear it. I was under there the other day and was checking out the heat shield plate that I moved aside when putting in the bushing and got to thinking it was maybe this. But that is tight. My other guess is the catalytic converter. It seems to have a slight vibration in it at the hangers.

Same problem here, too. BUT I just got my Kartboy exhaust hangers in the mail today! I'm hoping that it will keep it from moving to much.

I had the same problem gear 4 and gear 5. I changed my gear oil with Royal Purple and it seems to have gone away or is not noticeable any longer.

I have it too.

Woowoo.gif

Back