P5 Subwoofer - factory vs other?

donnw

Hi All - got another question :)

I just got my 2003 Yellow P5 and noticed the factory sound system 6CD but w/o the subwoofer) is woefully inadequate at the bottom end. I've got an 8" tube type subwoofer (won't shake the knobs off anything, but should help) laying around that I may try, but I also want to look at the factory one, to see if it may be a better solution (especially if it takes up less space).

Q?: Anyone add the factory one themselves and if so, how was it - any unpleasant surprises? How do you like it?

Q?: Is there existing wiring for the factory subwoofer somewhere in the rear, and if so, where? Any pinout info?

Thanks much!

Peace & blessings...

I am not aware of the Protege 5 subwoofer option and neither is the mazda website, does anyone have pics of this.

Here's the pic of mine...

p505.jpg

Thanks eMKay for the pic post. Oh - too cool! - I like it! I doubt this will shake off any knobs either, but at least it doesn't eat up the whole trunk space. (I got this car so I could carry around DJ and sound gear - not to mention, have fun driving it :) Have you ever tried switching it off to compare with & without sub sound? How do you like it ? (I know - thats an extremely subjective thing, but hey, I gotta ask ;-)

Any chance you could post a pic or any further info on where this unit's harness connects? In the link above (2nd post) gaZOOM-ZOOM discusses where the end of this harness is, but I'm not sure I quite get it? (Of course I could just order it and wait patiently until the unit comes in - presumably with some installation instructions... :p

Peace & Blessings

Hi All - decided to do a search on the web for TS-WX50 and came up with this link:

http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cach...R+tire+OR+subwoofer&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8

(Put it all on one line and paste into your browser...)
An excerpt from it is below:

"I managed to obtain a Pioneer Spare Tire Subwoofer (TS-WX50) for $30 since it's no longer in production. The idea of a subwoofer that fits into the spare tire appealed to me since I value my Integra hatchback's enormous cargo capacity (I've managed to fit a La-Z-Boy recliner inside with room to spare), but I desire improved bass response from the stereo. Having read reviews which were not positive about this subwoofer, I first tried it out by placing it in the spare tire and driving it with my home stereo receiver connected to the head unit's RCA outputs. It sounded surprisingly good considering it only has a 5.25" driver inside. While some car audio fanatics may turn up their noses at this unit, I feel it suits my purposes well since all I want is improved bass response at reasonable listening volumes. Neither concert quality sound reproduction nor building-shaking bass are necessary. What's more, the new Acura RSX, the Integra's replacement, comes with a Bose spare tire subwoofer as standard equipment, so I'm not the only one who thinks this is a good idea. If you're interested in purchasing a Pioneer spare tire subwoofer, I can only suggest Ebay, since it's rare and out of production." ....

Hmmmm... Interesting....

And this link came up with a price of $89 on one (but I was unable to get thru to Pioneer to find out what the difference between the TS-WX50 and TS-WX50A (most likely, A is the Mazda OEM version...??))

http://www.audiocompras.com/cgi-bin/audiocompras.pl?ART=auto

Later....

Sorry bro. If you want to advertise your ebay auction, do it in the F/S section. If you were a long standing member I might allow it but as a first post it is unacceptable.

Instead of splicing into wires for rear speakers can't I just connect the rear speaker wired from subwoofer to the RCA preouts on the back on my Sony HU ?

Back