MP3 stereo wiring harness question

LeeH

My MP3 had the stereo stolen long before I bought it. The car came with a basic am/fm/cd from a 2000 Protege.

I was surprised that the wiring harness is the same as our 1991 Protege. It made swapping the Blaupunkt Ontario I had installed in our old car to the MP3 very easy.

But this got me thinking.... how was the Kenwood deck wired from the factory? Was there some sort of conversion kit from the standard Protege stereo harness to the Kenwood (like those from Crutchfield)? I'm trying to figure out if the plugs in my car were there from the factory or did someone at a dealership or stereo shop modify the original harness by adding the standard Mazda plugs.

The MP3 did not have a 1991 harness stock. Most likely if the Kenwood was stolen someone may have cut the harness off and the dealer reran a 1991 style harness in the car, since they have no clue how to wire in a radio without a harness and the 2001 harness style probably wasn't available yet.

Here are the pics of the stock harness in the MP3 and all 2001 up Proteges. Also Included is the stock wire harness adapter made by Mazda.

harness%20adapter%20back.jpg

harness%20adapter%20pins.jpg

harness%20adapter.jpg

stock%20plug%20side.jpg

stock%20plug.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info! I'm guessing that they rewired the car to fit the am/fm/cd (stock Mazda unit from 2000). I was just surprised that the harness from the '91 was the same as the newer Mazda radio.

I'm not really complaining as it made the swap super easy. The only thing that must be a bit different is the wire to dim the lights on the radio. They don't dim at all on the Blaupunkt I installed in the MP3 and the display backlight goes off completely on the 2000 unit (I put it in our '91 to help sell it) when the lights are turned on.

The 1991 harness is not the same as the 2000 or 2001.
Check out my sticky thread for wireharness and dash kits.

The dealer must have re used an old harness. The 1990-1994 is competely different from the 95-00 or the 01-on harness.

Hmmm... that's strange. The am/fm/cd player that came in the MP3 (Mazda labeled, single DIN, green illumination) has a sticker with a manufacture date of 2000. Maybe a remanufacture date?

In the process of testing all this I took the original am/fm/cassette from the '91 and plugged it into the MP3. Not much power there, but it worked fine.

Back