Flashing third brake light?

Does anyone know how to make our 3rd brake light flash when applying the brakes? This occurs in some new cars and are way more common in Europe. I like it cause it gets the attention of the idiot behind you not paying attention. Anyways, anyone know how? Could I just add a simple resistor to lights wires to cause this and if so, what type? Thanx in advance, syn_lube_nut

I would think that by adding in a simple falsher unit like is on your turn signals would do the trick nicely....

they are nothing more than bi-metalic elements that open and close the circut.....should be easy.

I'll be damned.

This is the first lighting mod I've ever seen on a message board that actually makes sense. Function over form, I like it.

Like Sir Nuke, I'd think that a simple flasher relay would work, and it's cheap.

If it works be sure to let us know.

where would i get this 'flasher unit' at? Pep Boys, or Radio Shack? and where to hook it into (i.e. what wire(s)). Thank HADA 11 for the complement!

i've seen some advertised in the back of car magazines. they flash a couple of times, then stay on after that.

Back-off brake light modulator

Go to a reputable motorcycle dealer and ask them for a brake light modulator. The run about $32.00 but all you have to do is run them inline on the power wire going to the brake light. If your motorcycle dealer has no idea what they are doing just tell them to look in the Parts Unlimitied catalogue under Lighting.

i like the motorcycle brake lights they have.... the ones that do patterns like spin, flash, blink in sequence, etc... i know you know what im talkin about....

yea...but those LED bulbs are very expensive, and since not all the LEDs are lit up at one time while its doing its rotating thing they aren't as bright as I would like them to be

*sigh*
no chance at radioshack

"Go to a reputable motorcycle dealer and ask them for a brake light modulator. The run about $32.00 but all you have to do is run them inline on the power wire going to the brake light. If your motorcycle dealer has no idea what they are doing just tell them to look in the Parts Unlimitied catalogue under Lighting."

going to try that...

if you wanna follow that big ass schematics diagram that one link went to then yea go to radioshack, but good luck getting someone that knows any clue bout that s***. i worked there during part of college a couple years ago and no one working there knows anything about that stuff. i know i barely did. those kind of purchases don't make the company money so why waste time on it is their thinking. they feel anyone needing that stuff already knows what they want and for the most part it's true. i'd agree and go to the motorcycle shop.

the thing versus the flasher units, is that since they are bimetallic units that work on the principles of heat, they will eventually fail.

going solid state (555 timers, like that circuit) is probably the better way, but for simplicity sake, i would just use a flasher unit. its easier to install, easier to replace, etc etc.

plus the amount of usage for the flasher unit to fail will probably take years, so yeah..i. think im talking more than i need to

went to advanced auto (like a pep boys) and bought a flasher for $3.00. It has 2 prongs on it, I cut the positive wire going to the third break light and put each end on the flasher prongs. It works great, it flashes once per sec. The only thing is you can hear it flash, like tick, tick, tick....i'm going to move it somewhere where it'll be insulated and you wont be able to hear it anymore....anyways, thats what I did

yeah, you will hear it flash, just like your turn signals. they operate on the same principles. another reason why solid state would be better :)

Back