In Memory of Mazdas247 Member "1338"
In Memory of Mazdas247 Member "1338"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashing third brake light?

Flashing third brake light?

Does anyone know how to make our 3rd brake light flash when applying the brakes? This occurs in some new cars and are way more common in Europe. I like it cause it gets the attention of the idiot behind you not paying attention. Anyways, anyone know how? Could I just add a simple resistor to lights wires to cause this and if so, what type? Thanx in advance, syn_lube_nut

Master of ALL Things :{D Sir Nuke's Avatar

I would think that by adding in a simple falsher unit like is on your turn signals would do the trick nicely....

they are nothing more than bi-metalic elements that open and close the circut.....should be easy.
    '02' Vivid Yellow P-5 / 5-Speed / MoonRoof / Rota Battles with Yokohama ES 100's 215/40/17 / Tinted Windows / Bosal Cat-Back / Injen CAI / B&M Short Throw Shifter/kartboy Bushings / Eibach Pro Kit and....oh yeah, and that BAD Ass flaming skull on the back quarter windows!

2010 Rally Sport Camaro. Infero Orange Matelic, 312 h.p. V6, White Rally Stripes, 20" Polished wheels, 6 speed Automatic w/ manual over ride that has paddle shifters, Boston Acutics 250 watt / 9 speaker sound system, USB PORT, full guage package (no idiot lights), HID's, halo lights around the head lights, blacked out tail lights, rear spoiler, special interior package (two tone leather, black w/ orange insert in the middle, orange inserts on door panels that up to the front of the door and then across the dash, special orange accents in the gauges, and all the stiching on the seats, doors, and the shifter is orange.) :{D

and thanks to Enry I have my own smile

Registered Member

I'll be damned.

This is the first lighting mod I've ever seen on a message board that actually makes sense. Function over form, I like it.

Like Sir Nuke, I'd think that a simple flasher relay would work, and it's cheap.

If it works be sure to let us know.

how exactly do you do this???
    2003 silver Protege 5
    PhoenixGold 12" Sub and Amp

where would i get this 'flasher unit' at? Pep Boys, or Radio Shack? and where to hook it into (i.e. what wire(s)). Thank HADA 11 for the complement!

2013 VRM MS3

i've seen some advertised in the back of car magazines. they flash a couple of times, then stay on after that.

Donated: 10$

Blue MP3 #1169; '06 Subaru B9 Tribeca

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/corvette...sthirbrak.html
    kind of pricey, but...it may be easier and worth it than doing it yourself...like this...
    http://www.bmwons.ca/tips/Pulsing%20...ke%20Light.htm
    -Scott
    MP3 #1169
    (mp3blue)

Karl rules. Click here

Back-off brake light modulator

Go to a reputable motorcycle dealer and ask them for a brake light modulator. The run about $32.00 but all you have to do is run them inline on the power wire going to the brake light. If your motorcycle dealer has no idea what they are doing just tell them to look in the Parts Unlimitied catalogue under Lighting.

TwoToned on 18's... Opps JrTekSilverP5's Avatar

02' TwoToned (Sliver/Black) MP5

i like the motorcycle brake lights they have.... the ones that do patterns like spin, flash, blink in sequence, etc... i know you know what im talkin about....
    2002 Two Toned Mazda Protege5

yea...but those LED bulbs are very expensive, and since not all the LEDs are lit up at one time while its doing its rotating thing they aren't as bright as I would like them to be
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $10

2003.P5

i'm going to radioshack to see what they got.

blink blink!!
    V.

2003 P5, silver.

On my way to kill the noise.

Donated: $10

2003.P5

*sigh*
    no chance at radioshack

"Go to a reputable motorcycle dealer and ask them for a brake light modulator. The run about $32.00 but all you have to do is run them inline on the power wire going to the brake light. If your motorcycle dealer has no idea what they are doing just tell them to look in the Parts Unlimitied catalogue under Lighting."

going to try that...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

if you wanna follow that big ass schematics diagram that one link went to then yea go to radioshack, but good luck getting someone that knows any clue bout that shit. i worked there during part of college a couple years ago and no one working there knows anything about that stuff. i know i barely did. those kind of purchases don't make the company money so why waste time on it is their thinking. they feel anyone needing that stuff already knows what they want and for the most part it's true. i'd agree and go to the motorcycle shop.

Any luck yet? I'm going tomorrow to order mine. I'll post a how-to when its done.

Donated: $5.73
    Unauthorized DOUCHEBAG

the thing versus the flasher units, is that since they are bimetallic units that work on the principles of heat, they will eventually fail.

going solid state (555 timers, like that circuit) is probably the better way, but for simplicity sake, i would just use a flasher unit. its easier to install, easier to replace, etc etc.

plus the amount of usage for the flasher unit to fail will probably take years, so yeah..i. think im talking more than i need to

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast