Programmable Ignition Control

Equinox

Daddy Warbucks
Contributor
:
09 370Z Nismo
Reading in a MARCH 2003 issue of "Import Racer" and they have a section on the car parts that have come out called "Elements"

One of these is a product from MSD Ignition systems, and I quote,

"PROGRAMMABLE IGNITION CONTROL

A new MSD programmable DIS-2, P/N 6212, is designed for four-cylinder engines with distributor-less ignition systems and two coil packs. Loaded with an array of ignition and rpm programming capabilities, you can select up to three rev limits, shift light points, retard stages, or a retard curve for individual cylinder timing. There's also a boost retard curve so you can retard timing as boost pressure increases to prevent detonation. It's programmable with Windows based Pro-Data+ software, which you can download from the MSD Web site for free. Or MSD offers a hand-held monitor (P/N 7550) to program all the same features. For more info contact, MSD Ignition, Dept. IR!, 1490 Henry Brennan Drive, El Paso, TX 79936; (915) 857-5200; www.msdignition.com."

I'm sure a lot of you may already know about it, but I didn't, and I can't be the only one. Woo. =)

It's not even on the msdignition website yet - just a race-only version of this application.

Last edited:
Sweet...this may be nice for n/a guys...

maybe turbo as well?

Spoolin/FM, what do you think?

I don't think this works on our cars. Someone emailed MSD and they said something about transistors or something in our wires.

This was posted in the thread, "FMU, Piggyback, or EMS...dilemma " It is only a few threads down from this one, jeese guys use search! :)

Here's the answer I got from MSD in May 2002.

The first one is:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir;

I would suggest using PN 6212. This is a fully programmable DIS 2 with mappable boost curves. If you would like some more information on this unit, send us your mailing address and we'll send you out our latest catalog.

Thank You,
MSD Tech

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One day after that, they wrote me back with this one:

quote:
Dear Sir;

Upon further inspection of the wiring diagrams, we noticed that the coils have integrated transistors. This makes wiring any type of aftermarket ignition impossible. We're looking into producing a system but it probably wouldn't be available until next year sometime.

Thank You,
MSD Tech

I need to check with them if there's any new device that can fit on our cars!

Back