Crap! Slid into a curb.

Nathan55569

:
2003 Protege` 5
Well, we got our frist big storm (a whopping 3 inches) and I got sucked into a curb on an unplowed side street. My mechanic says that there doesn't appear to be anything bent and the wheel is still balanced, but the steering wheel is off center to the left. The car hit on the right side with the wheel cranked to the left. The shop says that it should only need an alignment and perhaps a camber kit. How expensive will a kit cost? Is it really necessary? What type of OEM adjuster is on the car already? Any suggestions on how to repair some deep scratches on the chrome aluminum wheels?

Try some fine wet and dry on the wheels, you will probably have to re apply some clear coat to them once you have had at them with the wet and dry though.
Try a small area first with the wet and dry, if (even with extra fine) it seems to be too harsh, try adding a drop of dish washing liquid - it'll take some of the friction out of it.

If the mechanic says all looks OK, and that it only needs an alignment - why did they suggest a camber kit?
How fast were you going when you hit?
If nothing is bent I wouldn't think you would need a camber kit.
(If you do, shouldn't be too bad)
Good luck.

Well, I took the car into Sears and had them do a 4 wheel alignment. The alignment is still a little off and it pulls a little to the right. He said something about running out of adjustment but it was within specs and if he could rotate the top of the strut he woud, but he cant? Now I can faint pulsating from that side that amplifies when I turn the wheel at higher speeds. I noticed it when making lane changes on the freeway. One of the guys posted a similar story and the dealer told him his hub was bent. If my hub was bent what would be the tip off? That could be causing my bearing to go out, but I don't feel any play when I wiggle the wheel. Any suggestions?

Nathan55569 said:
Well, I took the car into Sears and had them do a 4 wheel alignment. The alignment is still a little off and it pulls a little to the right. He said something about running out of adjustment but it was within specs and if he could rotate the top of the strut he woud, but he cant? Now I can faint pulsating from that side that amplifies when I turn the wheel at higher speeds. I noticed it when making lane changes on the freeway. One of the guys posted a similar story and the dealer told him his hub was bent. If my hub was bent what would be the tip off? That could be causing my bearing to go out, but I don't feel any play when I wiggle the wheel. Any suggestions?

i also slid into a curb and the damage is as follows:

replaced right front wheel
pulled subframe a few mm back into place
pulled conrtol arm bracket to re-align
possibly might still need a c.arm
possibly might need a new strut assembly
possibly might need a new cvjiont due to stress
alignment

that's about it so far. hopefully when i pick up my car from the body shop tomorrow, the cv joint will have stopped acting up and the alignment will be in perfect specs with no pulling to the right.

if its still worst case senario, the control arm will have to be replaced.

goodluck, i never would have thought a 10mph curb check would have caused so much damage.

best of luck. yes 10mph is a high estimate, i was initially thinking i was going aobut 5mph, but i don't know how 5mph could cause so much damage, or even 10...

Any $ estimate for your car? Any chance I can get this fixed for $200? Or should I just go and get the whole thing fixed and fork over the $500 for my deductible.

Back