Infotainment/Sirius/Joystick

carrd

I'm considering buying a CX5 and have a question regarding Sirius and the joystick controller. Can you click on Sirius and then use the joystick to surf through Sirious channels one by one? (since you can't use the touchscreen when driving) Or does it only cycle through your pre-set channels? I have a 2018 Subaru Forester and when you click on Sirius, you would have to touch the screen to surf through the channels. You can't click on Sirius and use the steering wheel controls since they only operate your pre-set channels. Thanks for your input!

You can cycle through all Sirius channels one-by-one and you can cycle through your Favorites (presets) one-by-one as well. You [obviously] have to be in the appropriate screen.

I had typed that you can do this with the know and with the steering wheel buttons, but after I think about it, I'm not certain about that. I believe that the steering wheel buttons only cycle through the favorites. That's what the manual states.

I wonder if the buttons behave the same way the control knob does if you're in the screen that lists all of the stations.

If I play with it, I'll come back with the results.

Last edited:
They don't. Those buttons ALWAYS go through favorites.

Yes and no. If you press the arrow buttons above or below the INFO button (to the left of the steering wheel) it will cycle through your favorites. If you hold down the buttons they will act as a seek button and go to the next available station, depending on your current source. For FM or AM radio, this will be the next station, in sequence, that can be tuned in. On XM, it will effectively be the next (or previous) channel.

That would be a very long way of going about changing XM radio stations, but, it can be done.

Yes and no. If you press the arrow buttons above or below the INFO button (to the left of the steering wheel) it will cycle through your favorites. If you hold down the buttons they will act as a seek button and go to the next available station, depending on your current source. For FM or AM radio, this will be the next station, in sequence, that can be tuned in. On XM, it will effectively be the next (or previous) channel.

That would be a very long way of going about changing XM radio stations, but, it can be done.

Really??? I didn't try that. I did try to go into the Channel List screen and scroll using the steering wheel buttons, but as 7eregrine said, those buttons always cycle through Favorites, regardless of which screen you are in (excepting your "press & hold" recommendation).

The shortest way I discovered to step though one XM station at a time in sequence is to hover over the "Next" button on the screen and press down the control knob. It's one step less than scrolling down one station at a time in the Channel List and hitting the control knob to select it, although either way provides the function the OP was looking for. And you don't even have to look at the screen to do it...just push down the control knob to go to each station next in sequence.

As a side note: I recently organized my Favorites, which makes it "less random" as I cycle though them with the steering wheel controls, but it's almost easier to just go to Favorites or to use Voice Recognition (when it's working).

Last edited:
Really??? I didn't try that. I did try to go into the Channel List screen and scroll using the steering wheel buttons, but as 7eregrine said, those buttons always cycle through Favorites, regardless of which screen you are in (excepting your "press & hold" recommendation).

The shortest way I discovered to step though one XM station at a time in sequence is to hover over the "Next" button on the screen and press down the control knob. It's one step less than scrolling down one station at a time in the Channel List and hitting the control knob to select it, although either way provides the function the OP was looking for. And you don't even have to look at the screen to do it...just push down the control knob to go to each station next in sequence.

As a side note: I recently organized my Favorites, which makes it "less random" as I cycle though them with the steering wheel controls, but it's almost easier to just go to Favorites or to use Voice Recognition (when it's working).

Thank you all - these are great tips! I've read a lot of reviews that the infotainment is slow to start up as well as other problems like rebooting. How true is this?

Thank you all - these are great tips! I've read a lot of reviews that the infotainment is slow to start up as well as other problems like rebooting. How true is this?

I bought my Reserve in March 2019.

So far:

-Infotainment is slow to load.
-My XM has failed to load twice. One time I pulled over and restarted my car because I had a long drive ahead of me and I wanted to listen to XM. That did not fix it. I restarted the car again. That did not fix it. It seems as though it needs to "sit for a while" for the system to load properly. Again, it's only failed to load twice since I've owned the car.
-Voice Recognition to change XM stations fails to load properly for me maybe 20% of the time (I rarely use it). It seems to be getting better as time goes on. When I say the station name ("XM Classic Rewind"), it changes to some weird random station that makes no sense (for those times it fails to load properly). But VR always recognizes the station number ("XM 25"), even when VR for the station name fails. When it loads properly, it works all the time until I turn off the car. If it fails to load, it doesn't work until the next time I start the car. It never fails (and never magically starts working) in the middle of a given driving session...this is 100% a failure-to-load problem.
-I have never had my system reboot itself.

I do not use Android Auto or Car Play at this time. Some folks think that it's best to let the infotainment fully load before hooking up the phone apps. My phone automatically connects via Bluetooth and Imports Contacts when the system is booting, and that does not seem to impact proper loading one bit...I've had VR fail to load when I have not connected my phone, and it's loaded properly when I've had my phone connect as the system loads.

Last edited:
Back