2013~2016 135,000km...any major things to do soon?

My 2013 GS is at 135,000km. I replaced spark plugs and brakes last year.

Do people have any good ideas of what I should be looking into as far as repairs go as I near 150,000km?

Do I need to worry about Serpentine belt? Alternator? Shocks? Etc?
Thanks.

Id replace the serpentine belt and water pump belt. Inspect the belt tensioner, replace if leaking. Inspect water pump to check for leaks, should hopefully be fine though. Top off coolant to F if low. Alternator is fine, no maintenance required. You will need to replace the coolant down the road (10 years or 200k km, every 5 years or 100k km after that). Replace brake fluid every 3 years.

Give the car a good bounce at each corner. Push down and keep building on each bounce with a good downward shove. Stop when you cant take it anymore. If the car keeps bouncing replace the shocks. Mine are still good (13 with 73k miles).

I would replace the belts for good measure, though they can last well beyond 175,000km.

If you haven*t already, you should get the transmission fluid flushed every 100,000km. No need to change the filter, just have the dealer do the flush. I wouldn*t trust anyone but the dealer to perform the work so you know you*re getting genuine Mazda fluid and no questions should you have a future warranty claim.

I have 292,000km on my CX-5 and other than brakes, belts and fluids, I*ve had no other issues.

I wouldn't get the transmission flushed. Do some online research to help you decide if you want it flushed or not.

And for safeties sake, lets say drain and fill of transmission fluid (not flush) :D

I drained and filled mine 3x at 50k miles. Will do so again at 100k miles. I wasnt going to recommend it as its not called for in the owners manual. As last poster said do some research. No need to open a can of worms on the lifetime fluid argument.

And for safeties sake, let*s say drain and fill of transmission fluid (not flush) :D

I drained and filled mine 3x at 50k miles. Will do so again at 100k miles. I wasn*t going to recommend it as its not called for in the owners manual. As last poster said do some research. No need to open a can of worms on the lifetime fluid argument.

Oh okay. I thought you meant flushing as in running the car to pump the fluid out, not drain and fill.

Lifetime fluid really isn*t lifetime fluid. I think most who educate themselves understand that concept. As far a flushing vs fill, I prefer all of the fluid to be exchanged at once. It*s what the dealer recommends and I*ve got a good friend who works at the local Mazda dealership. I*ve always serviced the transmission this way on every vehicle I*ve owned without ever having a problem. I think problems are more likely to surface when service is neglected and someone tries to have the transmission flushed at a high mileage after it never being done before.

I*ve had the transmission in my CX-5 flushed 3 times with no issues and I*m sure I have one of the highest mileage CX-5 on the forum.

Lifetime fluid really isn*t lifetime fluid. I think most who educate themselves understand that concept. As far a flushing vs fill, I prefer all of the fluid to be exchanged at once. It*s what the dealer recommends and I*ve got a good friend who works at the local Mazda dealership. I*ve always serviced the transmission this way on every vehicle I*ve owned without ever having a problem. I think problems are more likely to surface when service is neglected and someone tries to have the transmission flushed at a high mileage after it never being done before.

I*ve had the transmission in my CX-5 flushed 3 times with no issues and I*m sure I have one of the highest mileage CX-5 on the forum.

How do they flush it?

Nothing lasts forever. Even Cold November Rain.

⋯ I*ve had the transmission in my CX-5 flushed 3 times with no issues and I*m sure I have one of the highest mileage CX-5 on the forum.
Are you sure your Mazda dealer actually flushed the ATF on your CX-5? SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed transmission has no ATF lines coming out to a ATF cooler like most other automatic transmissions, hence theres no way your Mazda dealer can use an ATF flushing machine to intercept the old ATF and feed fresh ATF via the AFT lines. Not until recently some vendor starts to offer a special adapter for hooking up the ATF flushing machine. But that requires the removal of an attached transmission fluid cooling device, and its not approved by the Mazda. Which means most likely Mazda dealers wont use such unapproved special adapter to flush the ATF.

You will have to search the thread where I explained it. They use one of the pressure ports on the transmission to flush the fluid. They definitely flush the fluid using a machine. My buddy is one of the mechanics at the dealership and he works on my vehicle. I*ve heard a lot of people on this forum talk about how it*s not possible despite Mazda dealerships offering the service.

I just found the thread... https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...report-in/page16&highlight=Transmission+flush

They use a pressure port and dip stick port to flush.

Last edited:
I*d replace the serpentine belt and water pump belt. Inspect the belt tensioner, replace if leaking. Inspect water pump to check for leaks, should hopefully be fine though. Top off coolant to F if low. Alternator is fine, no maintenance required. You will need to replace the coolant down the road (10 years or 200k km, every 5 years or 100k km after that). Replace brake fluid every 3 years.

Give the car a good bounce at each corner. Push down and keep building on each bounce with a good downward shove. Stop when you can*t take it anymore. If the car keeps bouncing replace the shocks. Mine are still good (*13 with 73k miles).

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I had a 2015. I did brakes at 95k (needed) and plugs at around 80k (not needed based on inspection and gauging).

-rear diff flooded and replaced at 35k or so.
-fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump died at 106k, car traded off at this time.
-transfer case fluid changed, I think, also at 28k.

Things that needed looking into:

-belts had small cracks, but no chunks yet.
-valve cover gasket minor seeping, but no drips or real leaks, just some residue.

I had the diff fluid changed at 28k. Never again, even with the new diff. Screw that. It was 100% fine at 106k, also.

Lowest maintenance vehicle ever, imo. It's part of why I bought a 2019. Based on fluid analysis reports, the SkyActiv fluid wears at 1/2-1/3 the rate of an conventional automatic. I am not aware of any conventional auto that cant be expected to go 100k miles even in terrible conditions with no fluid changes. I extrapolate this to mean 2-300k miles for me, until the fluid could conceivably cause failure. That's plenty. I'll be rid of the car by then. On the flip side, I've killed 2 automatics with fluid changes, and made 1 wonky, and made a manual shift kinda notchy. All from fluid changes done at the dealers of the respective brands, save one. So yeah, I'll pass on the $300 fluid change. Also, no, none of these were flushes. They were pan drops, filter replacement, and refills.

Last edited:
Mazda have issued a new bulletin telling owners that transmission oil should not be changed because it is unnecessary.

Back