Car and Driver 10 Best 2020

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
"The Mazda CX-5 isn't perfect; it's just more perfect than everything else its size."

Last edited:
I feel silly still reading and watching reviews of a car I've already purchased, but I can't help myself.

With rare exception, the industry still gushes over these cars.

I once had a coworker who had owned a Mercedes SLK for many years, it was in and out of the dealership, dozens of times for non-warranty work, so she decided it was time to move on to a more reliable small SUV.
I asked her "How important is STATUS when selecting a vehicle?" She replied "not at all important" so I recommended a CX5.
Two weeks later she announced that she bought a used 2010 Mercedes GLC.
Sometimes, despite what people admit, STATUS is more important than anything.

Car & Driver often compared the 2019 CX5 to Audi, Mercedes, and BMW. They ask "Why spend $10,000 more for the same level of interior, quietness, and handling, but with far less reliability? The answer is simple: STATUS rules minds.

As an owner of a 2019 BMW X3, I can say I am impressed with the CX-5 and it handles better than my X3 and has more "stuff". I am working out a deal to trade my X3 for a CX-5 diesel.

The answer is simple: STATUS rules minds.

I worked for a guy who was addicted to the self-abuse that Jaguar ownership afforded.
If his car was in the parking lot, I'd ask if his mechanic was on vacation.

As an owner of a 2019 BMW X3, I can say I am impressed with the CX-5 and it handles better than my X3 and has more "stuff". I am working out a deal to trade my X3 for a CX-5 diesel.

Just curious as to why you want to do this? At the time, I justified the CX-5 over the Q5 and X3 based on value. Since you already own an X3, that justification has already passed. Also, the diesel?

Just curious as to why you want to do this? At the time, I justified the CX-5 over the Q5 and X3 based on value. Since you already own an X3, that justification has already passed. Also, the diesel?

I read that the diesel was kind of a let down. Barely an increase in power for not much savings in fuel economy. Stick to the turbo maybe? Although I just read the other thread on the loss of power in cold temps (interesting and unsettling tbh).

Also when comparing the CX5 to a CRV/RAV4, if you want a nicer driving car then the Mazda is for you. Most consumers want a complacent ride with all the features - that is where the Mazda does not win. It's no secret that you dont get as much comfort features with the CX5, not to mention the poor infotainment system. But if you value the drive, then go for it.

When comparing it to luxury products: the past 5 years has seen a huge shift in the auto industry. You can get much better cars in the non-premium market now than ever before. Most of the time yea, people need the badge on the wheel. That goes for most things in life (clothes, shoes, accessories). I feel that once the new CX5 comes out (with the new interior platform like the M 3 and CX30), it will truly be very hard to justify spending 15k more for a premium product.

I read that the diesel was kind of a let down. Barely an increase in power for not much savings in fuel economy.

You get more torque, but I believe the hp is below the 2.5L non-turbo.

It could have had a place in the line-up, but as the top and most expensive trim? Naw, no one is going to buy that.

It's no secret that you dont get as much comfort features with the CX5, not to mention the poor infotainment system.

With the hefty discounts on the diesels, wouldn't they be a bargain compared to the Signature? Would be around a $5k-$6k savings.

Regarding the infotainment system, this blurb regarding the 2020 CR-V in that Car & Driver review caught my eye:

An otherwise excellent presentation is offset by Honda*s frustrating infotainment system. Base LX models come with a 5.0-inch color radio screen, but all other models get a 7.0-inch infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and SiriusXM satellite radio; navigation is optional, as is a nine-speaker audio system. Honda reintroduced a rotary volume knob last year and we appreciate that, but a lack of other controls, slow infotainment responses, and the absence of an auxiliary input can*t be forgiven.

That's the first negative infotainment review I've seen for a non-Mazda.

Last edited:
I worked for a guy who was addicted to the self-abuse that Jaguar ownership afforded.
If his car was in the parking lot, I'd ask if his mechanic was on vacation.

I had an uncle who would lease and swap every 3 years. He's leased a Datsun 240Z and a Mazda RX7 among many others.
I'm doing something similar but quite a bit more frequently.

In 2019 I will have rented (for 24 hours, each) a 2019 McLaren 570S, a 2016 BMW i8 and next week, a 2017 Jaguar F-Sport convertible. Like my uncle, I don't have to worry about any reliability "challenges", yet I should be able to try out many cars that I would love to drive but not necessarily buy.

Good luck with that, the dealer is going to mug you, stab you, poison you, drown you, shoot you and then set you on fire on the trade-in valuation

Good luck with that, the dealer is going to mug you, stab you, poison you, drown you, shoot you and then set you on fire on the trade-in valuation

My Mazda dealer I go to has the CX-5 Diesel for $8500 OFF! (friday)

I would spend some more time in the cx5 to make sure the seat doesnt cause pain in your hips and thighs. Seat is ridiculous in this car. Im getting close to ditching this thing after only a year because I cant be in it for more than 20 minutes without pain.

I had an uncle who would lease and swap every 3 years. He's leased a Datsun 240Z and a Mazda RX7 among many others.
I'm doing something similar but quite a bit more frequently.

In 2019 I will have rented (for 24 hours, each) a 2019 McLaren 570S, a 2016 BMW i8 and next week, a 2017 Jaguar F-Sport convertible. Like my uncle, I don't have to worry about any reliability "challenges", yet I should be able to try out many cars that I would love to drive but not necessarily buy.

How did you rent them?

Back