2013 Mazda5 Remote Start

Looking at different options. Appears this vehicle doesn't transmit remote signal on the canbus, so no aftermarket kits allow for use of the factory fob. I see the oem kit comes with it's own fob as well. With the oem kit, does the factory fob also work or only the new fob? If not, can you get a fob with an integrated key that does work? Carrying additional fobs sucks!

Did you use Mazda part 0000-8F-L82? Was anything else required for the install? I see a lot of dealers also listing an install kit, but no clue what's included in that or what is needed from it.

Check you local stereo and alarm place for 2nd opinion. Below is discontinued but someone here has it (perhaps another brand) installed in the past. Check for other/newer alternatives.

https://www.crimestopper.com/products/security/security-systems/remote-start/lc-00

Since you are using the stock keyless system as the transmitter, you are stuck with crappy range. If you are willing to take it a step father and find the keyless module, find the antenna and mod/extend it for more range (limited due to packaging).

Not sure if this is different for +12 models but 08-10 GT come with alarm with keyless, Sport and Touring only come with keyless.

Last edited:
Did you use Mazda part 0000-8F-L82? Was anything else required for the install? I see a lot of dealers also listing an install kit, but no clue what's included in that or what is needed from it.

Yes that is the one I used. I did not connect the hood or door ajar switches since I'm not that Worried about someone stealing my car.

One thing I didn't know is that you need two keys programmed to your car in order to program the remote start. It literally cannot be programmed without two keys

Yes that is the one I used. I did not connect the hood or door ajar switches since I'm not that Worried about someone stealing my car.

One thing I didn't know is that you need two keys programmed to your car in order to program the remote start. It literally cannot be programmed without two keys

Just to be certain, that kit (part 0000-8F-L82) was the only purchase required? It mentions that the hood switch is not needed on my GT model. I was able to find the kit crazy cheap ($90) and will be installing next week!

Last edited:
Just to be certain, that kit (part 0000-8F-L82) was the only purchase required? It mentions that the hood switch is not needed on my GT model. I was able to find the kit crazy cheap ($90) and will be installing next week!

Cheap Hack level. Save $10. Go to the vehicle harness under the hood by the hood latch and insert a wire connecting the two sides. Vroom vroom

Expensive hack level. Buy the hood switch, zip tie it closed, zip tie it out of the way. Skip taking the hood latch out and fastening it. Vroom vroom

Doing it right level. Buy the hood switch. Remove the hood latch. Install the wires correctly. Reinstall hood latch to car. Now your mechanic wont accidentally remote start the car when hes working on it. Vroom vroom

From page 1 of the instructions:

MAZDA HOOD LATCH SWITCH PART#C901-V7-629A MUST BE USED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT GT MODELS. THE MAZDA HOOD LATCH SWITCH IS NOT SUPPLIED WITH THIS KIT AND MUST BE OBTAINED SEPARATELY.

I have a '13 GT.

Installed the remote starter kit (0000-8F-L82) in my '13 GT over the weekend. What a chore! It really wasn't all that difficult, but you have to basically take the entire front upper and lower dash apart. I mean nearly everything! Center console, glovebox, everything. The included instructions are great, and have every single detail you'll need to complete the job. If you've never done it, give yourself a good 5+ hours to slowly and carefully follow the directions. I could probably do another in 2 - 3 hours start to finish. FYI, I'm in the northern Virginia area if anyone needs help!

If you have any intention of replacing your stereo, now would be a good time to do that as well since everything you need to take apart is already done. I did the stereo first.....

The 0000-8F-L82 kit was indeed all that is needed for the GT, as it already has a hood latch sensor in place. Some dealers will require an installation kit (BHP1-V7-630). Looks to be the instructions, zip ties, foam pads, splices, and the cable that connects the immobilizer to the start controller. Best I can tell though is the remote start kit includes everything in that install kit. At least mine did.

Anyway, for $90, it was one hell of a steal!

How did you find it that cheap btw?

eBay! It was listed by a discount parts broker as a dealer display case unit.

One issue, the pin on the violet/white tach wire was missing so I couldn't connect it. It's supposed to be pushed into the harness on the back of the instrument cluster. Everything works without it, but I get a three honk warning every time I use the remote start because it doesn't know whether or not the car actually started. Any clue what kind of pins those are? My AutoZone had nothing in stock.

It's something like this, but I'm not sure if the correct size.

Last edited:
You may have an easier time going to a scrap yard, cutting out any wire harness connection, take one of those wires out (including the metal piece that goes into the plastic connector) and soldering those wires together, then going at it again. One thing I did not realize is that the plastic retainer clip on the harness does not come out - it only pops up maybe 1/8-1/4 inch.

I'm not sure what that prong would be called to buy one

edit - looking at it again, you have the right idea. make sure the guage is right. but I believe you need the male end

Last edited:
Back