Instrument panel reflection on windshield

Cmon dude, why should I have to do that, when Mazda should make sure this doesnt happen in the first place?
Thiss a fair statement. This reflection problem is similar to chrome side vent reflection on front windows where Mazda overlooked it during design. Mazda simply dropped the ball on this for tall drivers. Luckily I have a gen-1 CX-5, and Im shorter than 6!

Thiss a fair statement. This reflection problem is similar to chrome side vent reflection on front windows where Mazda overlooked it during design. Mazda simply dropped the ball on this for tall drivers. Luckily I have a gen-1 CX-5, and Im shorter than 6!

Yeah, I think I will let my wife drive this, she's 5'5 and I'll have to buy something else. Too bad, I really like the car otherwise.

Yeah, I think I will let my wife drive this, she's 5'5 and I'll have to buy something else. Too bad, I really like the car otherwise.

If it's that much of an annoyance that it's worth buying another car over, I'd wait for the RAV4 Prime to come out and put up with it in the meantime (or fashion a visor as TDK1044 suggested).

I am 6' and I don't have the reflection. Next time I am driving at night I will investigate why I can't see the dash reflection. Maybe it's the way my seat is adjusted or something.

Reflect2.jpg

Hi,

I bought a 2019 CX-5 Touring with premier package. I didn't test drive it at night, but when I drove it at night for the first time, I noticed that I can see the instrument panel reflection on the windshield. I test drove the GT with hologram so I know what that looks like, and this is not it. It's definitely a reflection and it's in the top part of the windshield.
Here's a photo of what it looks like
https://i.imgur.com/7oYpn2t.jpg

If I turn the instrument panel brightness to minimum it disappears, but then I can't see the instrument panel very well.

Has anyone seen this issue? I'm 6'2" btw and I've tried moving my seat every which way and it doesn't tell. it definitely improves if I move my seat down, but it doesn't go away. Seems pretty crazy that this would be happening, seems like a safety issue that interferes with visibility.

Thanks.

Oh. This is probably why I don't see the reflection. I think my brightness is turned down. I didn't change it, it's the default night brightness in my car.

Oh. This is probably why I don't see the reflection. I think my brightness is turned down. I didn't change it, it's the default night brightness in my car.

I think that's the trick they play. They keep it turned down so you don't see the reflection when you test drive it. But for me, it's too low.

I*ve had a go it this and the only way I can see this reflection is to rear up and look through the top 2 inches of the windshield. No way can I get it lower by going forward or backward. I get accused of being a fanboy for not coming down on the critical side but I simply can*t make this work. What I can say is that by raising myself high enough to see this life threatening reflection, I can*t get the HUD to adjust into view so it*s clearly outside the design parameters. Just a suggestion but have you tried to drop these at down to a point you look out of the centre of the windshield because as far as I can see, you won*t be able to see out if you lower the sun visor on a sunny day.

Y52, you often come out with such knowledgeable posts but you will insist in playing up to these daft negatives seemingly at will. To say Mazda *dropped the ball* is not just melodramatic but unfounded. To hang it on the back of the MkI vents is disappointing given that it doesn*t apply to this model and Mazda paid for a rework on the ones it did.

I*ve had a go it this and the only way I can see this reflection is to rear up and look through the top 2 inches of the windshield. No way can I get it lower by going forward or backward. I get accused of being a fanboy for not coming down on the critical side but I simply can*t make this work. What I can say is that by raising myself high enough to see this life threatening reflection, I can*t get the HUD to adjust into view so it*s clearly outside the design parameters. Just a suggestion but have you tried to drop these at down to a point you look out of the centre of the windshield because as far as I can see, you won*t be able to see out if you lower the sun visor on a sunny day.

Y52, you often come out with such knowledgeable posts but you will insist in playing up to these daft negatives seemingly at will. To say Mazda *dropped the ball* is not just melodramatic but unfounded. To hang it on the back of the MkI vents is disappointing given that it doesn*t apply to this model and Mazda paid for a rework on the ones it did.

How tall our you? What you consider rear up is probably my normal position.

This is what I see.
https://i.imgur.com/7oYpn2t.jpg

Based on OPs picture, the reflection is mostly on the center part of the windshield from OPs view. And its a Touring theres no HUD for him. Folding down the sun visor like some suggested wont help.

7oYpn2t.jpg

The following two posts are gen-2 CX-5 owners from this thread. Apparently therere more than one tall person are having similar problem. I test-drove a 2017 CX-5 when gen-2 CX-5 just came out. The first thing I checked was the reflection of the chrome side vents, and to my surprise theyre still there on front windows even though the TSB has issued at the time to fix the problem on gen-1 CX-5!

once i read this post, i now cannot unsee the dang reflection..thanks man! haha
but in all honestly yes definitely an issue with the taller drivers, i would have to play with the seat adjustments so i can unsee this reflection now..also another option could be to fold the sun visors all the way forward.
If you really want a kick in the pants - check out your driver's side window near the mirror. You'll see a reflection of your silver AC vent cover. (silly)

I think that's the trick they play. They keep it turned down so you don't see the reflection when you test drive it. But for me, it's too low.

Dude, who is playing tricks? There are over 500,000 of these on the roads and honestly, you might be the only one with a problem. I don't think Mazda is hiding anything. If it bothers you, you might want to move the seat up or down to minimize the reflection.

As I said in the now closed duplicate thread, I have no issue at 6' 4". I really have no idea if the OP is serious.

well, I just checked my 2019 sport and I can see the partial reflection of display in the windshield
I'm 6'2'' ...... I have the seat lowered all the way down and back now..... If I sit up
higher I can see the full display reflecting .......... so , believe me , that reflection is there , if you can't see it
just move seat or head around and you'll find it.

I also have display on the dimmest setting ........ if I turn it up the reflection is very visible.......

Based on OPs picture, the reflection is mostly on the center part of the windshield from OPs view. And its a Touring theres no HUD for him. Folding down the sun visor like some suggested wont help.

7oYpn2t.jpg

The following two posts are gen-2 CX-5 owners from this thread. Apparently therere more than one tall person are having similar problem. I test-drove a 2017 CX-5 when gen-2 CX-5 just came out. The first thing I checked was the reflection of the chrome side vents, and to my surprise theyre still there on front windows even though the TSB has issued at the time to fix the problem on gen-1 CX-5!

wow, that's blinding. looks like you have it turned up all the way to the daylight setting

The only way that I could replicate this issue was with my head physically touching the roof of the car. At 5'9, my head is typically four or five inches lower than that which is why I never have a reflection issue. I created a three inch black cardboard mask and placed it under the lip of the instrument panel so that it was protruding out a couple of inches. It was then impossible to see the reflection even with my head touching the roof, and the mask was invisible because it was hidden by the top of the steering wheel. Should Mazda create a slider that achieves the same end result as my crude mask? Absolutely, but in the meantime there is a free and invisible solution.

The only way that I could replicate this issue was with my head physically touching the roof of the car. At 5'9, my head is typically four or five inches lower than that which is why I never have a reflection issue. I created a three inch black cardboard mask and placed it under the lip of the instrument panel so that it was protruding out a couple of inches. It was then impossible to see the reflection even with my head touching the roof, and the mask was invisible because it was hidden by the top of the steering wheel. Should Mazda create a slider that achieves the same end result as my crude mask? Absolutely, but in the meantime there is a free and invisible solution.
That 99.9% of owners would never use. I looked again last night and yes it is there but only looking up at the rooftops just like the supplied photo. I tend to look forward when driving and yes the brightness is all the way up in the photo.

That 99.9% of owners would never use. I looked again last night and yes it is there but only looking up at the rooftops just like the supplied photo. I tend to look forward when driving and yes the brightness is all the way up in the photo.

I think that the instrument brightness setting could be improved. In my 2018 CX5 GT, the options are full brightness, or so low that you can barely see the information. An option between those settings would be nice.

I think that the instrument brightness setting could be improved. In my 2018 CX5 GT, the options are full brightness, or so low that you can barely see the information. An option between those settings would be nice.

Yes, the setting is adjustable!(gossip)

Back