Instrument panel reflection on windshield

Hi,

I bought a 2019 CX-5 Touring with premier package. I didn't test drive it at night, but when I drove it at night for the first time, I noticed that I can see the instrument panel reflection on the windshield. I test drove the GT with hologram so I know what that looks like, and this is not it. It's definitely a reflection and it's in the top part of the windshield.
Here's a photo of what it looks like
https://i.imgur.com/7oYpn2t.jpg

If I turn the instrument panel brightness to minimum it disappears, but then I can't see the instrument panel very well.

Has anyone seen this issue? I'm 6'2" btw and I've tried moving my seat every which way and it doesn't tell. it definitely improves if I move my seat down, but it doesn't go away. Seems pretty crazy that this would be happening, seems like a safety issue that interferes with visibility.

Thanks.

I*ve never noticed it but I*ll look later and see. I*m usually drawn to something like that so I*m surprised.

To clarify I only notice it with the infotainment system at night. The dimmer knob on the dashboard seems to provide only binary control (high or low) with no in between.

To clarify I only notice it with the infotainment system at night. The dimmer knob on the dashboard seems to provide only binary control (high or low) with no in between.

I see the infotainment screen as well, but it's off to the side and it doesn't bother me. If you move up in your seat, do you see the speedometer reflection like the picture I posted?
Also, do you have the Touring with preferred package? I think GT has a different dash.

I finally drove our new 2019 GT-R last night to check the reflection issue. I'm just shy of 6 ft tall and I could see just the very slight glow of the reflection of the instrument cluster at the top of the windshield. It was easy to ignore. If I stretched up a little I could start to see the details of the top 1/3 - 1/2 of the instrument cluster that would be distracting. I can see how the OP at 6'2" would have a problem. I'm glad I'm not taller. I'm trying to figure out how the reflection from a shielded instrument cluster can make it up there in the first place.

once i read this post, i now cannot unsee the dang reflection..thanks man! haha
but in all honestly yes definitely an issue with the taller drivers, i would have to play with the seat adjustments so i can unsee this reflection now..also another option could be to fold the sun visors all the way forward.

once i read this post, i now cannot unsee the dang reflection..thanks man! haha
but in all honestly yes definitely an issue with the taller drivers, i would have to play with the seat adjustments so i can unsee this reflection now..also another option could be to fold the sun visors all the way forward.

If you really want a kick in the pants - check out your driver's side window near the mirror. You'll see a reflection of your silver AC vent cover. (silly)

I finally drove our new 2019 GT-R last night to check the reflection issue. I'm just shy of 6 ft tall and I could see just the very slight glow of the reflection of the instrument cluster at the top of the windshield. It was easy to ignore. If I stretched up a little I could start to see the details of the top 1/3 - 1/2 of the instrument cluster that would be distracting. I can see how the OP at 6'2" would have a problem. I'm glad I'm not taller. I'm trying to figure out how the reflection from a shielded instrument cluster can make it up there in the first place.

The Windshield extends past the instrument cluster so some light in theory can be reflected if the angle of viewing is right. I've never had this happen in any car.

How far back are you sitting OP?

Never noticed this reflection of the instrument cluster. Have occasionally noticed reflection of the infotainment system, but thats not the same as this.

I'm 5'9 and I don't see any reflection in the windshield. I do see it in the driver's side window at night. That's always been there.

I am 5"8" and the big offender at night is the infotainment screen. I wish Mazda had made a simple toggle on/off switch for the display that you didn't have to go through several menu steps with the command knob to access.

I am 5"8" and the big offender at night is the infotainment screen. I wish Mazda had made a simple toggle on/off switch for the display that you didn't have to go through several menu steps with the command knob to access.

can we put this task under favorite button - just wondering. it will be few less clicks?

If you really want a kick in the pants - check out your driver's side window near the mirror. You'll see a reflection of your silver AC vent cover. (silly)
Thiss a known issue since gen-1 CX-5. Theres a TSB issued for gen-1 CX-5 replacing chrome side vents with black ones.

Being 5'9, I don't have the issue, but if I did, I'd simply add a mask in the form of a three or four inch black piece of cardboard protruding out from underneath the top of the instrument panel.

Last edited:
Being 5'9, I don't have the issue, but if I did, I'd simply add a mask in the form of a three or four inch black piece of cardboard protruding out from underneath the top of the instrument panel.

Cmon dude, why should I have to do that, when Mazda should make sure this doesnt happen in the first place?

The Windshield extends past the instrument cluster so some light in theory can be reflected if the angle of viewing is right. I've never had this happen in any car.

How far back are you sitting OP?

Ive also not had this happen in any car either. The problem is that the dash overhang over the instrument panel is not long enough, I was looking at how much dash goes over the instrument panel in other cars and they are super long and prevent this issue.

Ive tried moving my seat every which way, nothing helps. Of course moving it down as much as I can and forward as much I can does make it less noticeable but its still noticeable and distracting.

Back