Anybody with a 2019 AWD 3 hatch?

:
2019 Mazda3 AWD Hatchback
Going to take a look at - and hopefully test drive - a 19 hatchback AWD preferred. Before my current CX5, I had a 3 hatch that I really liked, but I needed AWD. Now I have a chance to grab a 3 with AWD and all the options I want, with $2k off MSRP, which seems like the best of all worlds. Only thing Im a little leery of is the cylinder deactivation never had that in any vehicle, least of all a 4-banger. Anybody have any words of wisdom, or caution?

While Mazda as a car company placed second among all the others in Consumer Reports' most reliable company list, the latest Mazda 3 is listed as Mazda's least reliable vehicle. My guess is because of the cylinder deactivation vibration issues because previous Mazda 3s, including my 2014, are listed as much better than average for reliability.
By the way, according to the same article, the most reliable new Mazda is the MX5 Miata.

While Mazda as a car company placed second among all the others in Consumer Reports' most reliable company list, the latest Mazda 3 is listed as Mazda's least reliable vehicle. My guess is because of the cylinder deactivation vibration issues because previous Mazda 3s, including my 2014, are listed as much better than average for reliability.
By the way, according to the same article, the most reliable new Mazda is the MX5 Miata.

I wonder if CR's Least Reliable Mazda title going to the 3 is also because of the new infotainment. In 2016, CR's Least Reliable Mazda was the CX-9, largely due to the infotainment issues that were shared with other models.

I dont know about what they call this reliability thing how badly could they have mucked things up in just a couple of model years, especially when most of the reviews say its as good as the last gen?

Anyway, it doesnt matter now I took the plunge. I test drive one (not the preferred hatch I want, but one similar), talked numbers, did a George Costanza and was about to leave and come back in a few months when I could knock a bit more off the payoff, and they miraculously found enough to tack onto the trade to get the payment down close to where I wanted. They really, really wanted to make this deal. Theyre getting the car from another dealer in the area, so itll be another couple of days. I really like how it drives, probably cos Im coming from the bulkier CX5, but its quiet, smooth but not mushy, responsive and with just enough road feedback. Black 3 AWD Preferred package soon to be in the garage.

Now I just have to get these old bones used to getting up out of a car again instead of down out of a crossover. :)

CR dings the 3 because it is a new model with little history. That is all. The new 3's are dramatically better than the older 3's in terms of refinement and feel.

The new 3 also fell a few spots in the compact car category. The funny thing is that before Mazda added much more sound insulation and softened up the suspension (as they did with the CX5, also), Consumer Reports praised the sharp handling and excellent fuel economy but faulted the road noise and harsh suspension. After Mazda fixed those issues for 2019, CR dinged the 3 for its less-sharp handling and decreased fuel mileage. They did praise the quietness and smoother ride. I guess you can't win sometimes.
In an inexpensive vehicle, the only way you can have both nice ride and great handling is to have sophisticated shocks/struts that jack up the cost. My 89 MX6 GT had electronically controlled (manual and automatic settings) shocks but when they wore out, replacements were much more expensive than KYB gas shocks I bought. The MX6 GT (turbo)was certainly not an inexpensive car when new.

I don*t know about what they call this reliability thing * how badly could they have mucked things up in just a couple of model years, especially when most of the reviews say it*s as good as the last gen?

Anyway, it doesn*t matter now * I took the plunge. I test drive one (not the preferred hatch I want, but one similar), talked numbers, did a George Costanza and was about to leave and come back in a few months when I could knock a bit more off the payoff, and they miraculously found enough to tack onto the trade to get the payment down close to where I wanted. They really, really wanted to make this deal. They*re getting the car from another dealer in the area, so it*ll be another couple of days. I really like how it drives, probably cos I*m coming from the bulkier CX5, but it*s quiet, smooth but not mushy, responsive and with just enough road feedback. Black 3 AWD Preferred package soon to be in the garage.

Now I just have to get these old bones used to getting up out of a car again instead of down out of a crossover. :)

Congrats! I'm sure you will love it.(2thumbs)

Got it. First drive home, love it. It's like the perfect driving, handling, comfort, quiet car for me. Bit of a change in the infotainment system from the CX-5 that's gonna take a little getting used to, and I haven't tried Apple Car Play yet (don't have a spare cable!), but absolutely nothing to complain about. Did a few miles on the highway and didn't notice cylinder deactivation at all, it just drives really, really nice.

IMG-0064.jpg

Back