5000 Kilometer Check

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I just had the 5k kilometer check. First service experience. Very pleased. Didn't have to wait all day to get my car back after an oil change like with my last car. Delivered the car at 9:20 and got it back at noon, nicely washed as well. Learned something surprising to me. The service manager explained to me that the correct oil level after engine is warmed up and shut off for five minutes is...half way...between the two dots on the oil dipstick. All my life an engine properly filled with oil would show it reaching the top oil level mark when cold so this is a surprise. The motor oil used was described as 5W-30 API -N. Is this the same as Mobil 1?

I just had the 5k kilometer check. First service experience. Very pleased. Didn't have to wait all day to get my car back after an oil change like with my last car. Delivered the car at 9:20 and got it back at noon, nicely washed as well. Learned something surprising to me. The service manager explained to me that the correct oil level after engine is warmed up and shut off for five minutes is...half way...between the two dots on the oil dipstick. All my life an engine properly filled with oil would show it reaching the top oil level mark when cold so this is a surprise. The motor oil used was described as 5W-30 API -N. Is this the same as Mobil 1?

It's likely a generic oil that was used. Mazda likes Castrol, here, anyways.

Yes, my Z06 had a very detailed procedure. Of course it also held around 13 quarts and a dry sump system, but "wait time" after shutoff drastically influenced oil level on the stick.

Litter, good info on the dipstick reading. That*s what I have found after doing an oil change with proper amount and now I know.

Hi Pitter, "correct" oil level is really anywhere between the two markers (dots) on the dipstick. The car will operate the same whether the oil level is at the bottom marker or the top marker. That said, most people will keep the oil somewhere between halfway and the top mark just for insurance (and also personal preference). Every engine is different - some may burn a little oil, others may experience a bit of oil/fuel dilution. Filling until the oil level is dead centre on the dipstick allows for some leeway in either scenario.

Personally, I like to keep it closer to the top mark just in case I spring a random oil leak from smacking the oil pan. If I were you, I'd take note of your current oil level and check it again before your next oil change, so that you can see if you're burning an excessive amount of oil (or if you're experiencing an excessive amount of oil/fuel dilution).

All of the oil doesn't drain into the pan in 5 minutes so it won't be at the 'full' mark. Before the car is driven in the morning, the level will be closer to the 'full' mark. Many dealers over fill the oil. Did you ever check your oil level before the oil change? When my car was new the oil was at the full mark, after sitting over night.

Did Mazda change the oil spec. between CX-5 2018 & 2019? My manual for my 2018 says to use 0W-20 (Canada).

Did Mazda change the oil spec. between CX-5 2018 & 2019? My manual for my 2018 says to use 0W-20 (Canada).

For the CX-5, the 2019 model year introduced the 2.5 turbo engine as the standard option on the GT Reserve and Signature trims in NA. The 2.5 turbo uses 5W-30, while the non-turbo 2.5L still uses 0W-20.

Back