Fog lights decorative piece?

:
2019 Cx-9 GT
I see no additional light coming out of them - sometimes I wonder if my right fog light is not working.
What is your experience here?

Interesting question. They are so small I have wondered if they at all effective. Maybe I'll take a look. I've only driven it at night a few times.

They work, but I find that the hood is so high that I need to raise my seat higher to be able to see their effects on the road (I pretty much sit at the lowest seat height setting). So they function like regular fog light in the way that they project light low to the ground in front of the car, but my line of sight is far up front so I barely see them. If I ever need them I will adjust my driving positon to favor short distance visibility.

They work, but I find that the hood is so high that I need to raise my seat higher to be able to see their effects on the road (I pretty much sit at the lowest seat height setting). So they function like regular fog light in the way that they project light low to the ground in front of the car, but my line of sight is far up front so I barely see them. If I ever need them I will adjust my driving positon to favor short distance visibility.

I am sitting at the highest position and I am close to 6 ft. I still cannot see any illumination coming from passenger side fog light. I think I will talk with service folks when I am there next

I am sitting at the highest position and I am close to 6 ft. I still cannot see any illumination coming from passenger side fog light. I think I will talk with service folks when I am there next

Check the front side (driver side) of the road and youll notice that the fog lights provide some illumination. The best way to test it is to turn the fog lights off then on...you wont notice up front but the front lower side youll see there is a slight diff

Check the front side (driver side) of the road and you*ll notice that the fog lights provide some illumination. The best way to test it is to turn the fog lights off then on...you won*t notice up front but the front lower side you*ll see there is a slight diff

I do notice the driver side illumination but the point here is that fog lights arent doing much here !

The purpose of so-called fog lights is to light the edge of the road. Agree, our Mazda fog lights do a poor job of even that.

I actually pointed this out the other day in another thread! lol To me, the fogs are functionally pointless because you cannot see the added light due to the hood (no matter how high you sit). But they are nice decorations tho...

They COULD be functional if we had a way to turn on the fog lights without the headlights. You would only do this in severely thick fog like I used to see in the San Fran bay area. Really thick fog causes the light from the headlights to obscure your view even worse than having no lights on...so you would turn off your headlights and drive with the fog lights on which could still illuminate the lines on the road with minimal "light pollution".

I actually pointed this out the other day in another thread! lol To me, the fogs are functionally pointless because you cannot see the added light due to the hood (no matter how high you sit). But they are nice decorations tho...

They COULD be functional if we had a way to turn on the fog lights without the headlights. You would only do this in severely thick fog like I used to see in the San Fran bay area. Really thick fog causes the light from the headlights to obscure your view even worse than having no lights on...so you would turn off your headlights and drive with the fog lights on which could still illuminate the lines on the road with minimal "light pollution".

Honestly, I'm not sure the light projected is strong enough for that. I'm going to try a little test tonight just to see just how powerful these foglights are.

Honestly, I'm not sure the light projected is strong enough for that. I'm going to try a little test tonight just to see just how powerful these foglights are.

Well, did my test. With only the fogs on, I'd be scared to drive at night. The fog lenses did have a light film of dirt on them, but I had rinsed the car a couple of days ago so they were still fairly clean. I recorded this using my phone, which was resting on the hood above the instrument cluster.

From the video description:
This is a short video showing the foglight output. Most people have complained that the fogs aren't powerful enough, and that they are more of a cosmetic feature than a functional feature.

The first clip starts with only the headlights on. I turn the foglights on and off to show the difference. Then, I show the light output of only the foglights by blocking the left headlight with a towel. Finally, in the last two clips, I'm trying to show the difference in light output with the foglights on, then the foglights off (but it's a little hard to see).

I have yellow tinted fogs, so this could help you visualize how the foglights light the front. Do note that the tints possibly reduced the light output to some degree.

MzCIE32.jpg

DBXq5OT.jpg

Thanks azuzu - the yellow tint does show that these are OK output- as much any foglight would do. The Fogs are overshadowed by the bright headlights?

On a side note: The front camera is pretty bad - anything that can be done to improve it.

Back