Best place to list a used car?

:
'22 X3 M40i
Do you guys have an opinion on which used car website is best for a private owner listing? I've used Autotrader and Cars.com in the past, but it's been about 6 years. I have a car to sell.
-Thanks

Last edited:
Do you guys have an opinion on which used car website is best for a private owner listing? I've used Autotrader and Cars.com in the past, but it's been about 6 years. I have an '11 MINI Cooper S to sell.
-Thanks

Facebook marketplace, CarGurus, or CARFAX. I sold a car a couple years ago and found autotrader and cars.com to be inactive. Also, dont forget the good old fashioned FOR SALE sign in the window.

Always sell to the first person on CL at above market value.

It's been so easy to sell I can't imagine giving away free money to a dealer and trading it in.

That's the truth!

Craigslist has some interesting listers to sift through though. It is amazing how many people do not know the spelling of their vehicle brand or model. One of my favorites also, is typically a picture taken from the second story, through a screen window, producing an overhead shot of the vehicle they are selling across the street.

Craigslist?

I*ve had no luck with CL in the DC area. Get dozens of *still available?* emails and no one ever continues the conversation. Also seems consumed with foreign-born people who struggle to communicate or lazily ask *for your best price* without even seeing the car, which I assume must be a cultural thing.

Last edited:
Private sale is best for sure, consignment at a used dealer next best.
Dealing with buyers on CL can be a real hassle [or not].

I've sold six vehicles, all through Craigslist. Every one was purchased by the first person that actually showed up to look at them. It helps that I'm meticulous about my cars and also used to detail cars for a living at an Oldsmobile dealership. Anybody else wax their doorjambs, inner edges of their wheels, and underside of the hood? It pays off when it's time to sell.

The "still available?" texts are just bots phishing for active phone numbers to be sold to spammers. I sort through them quickly by asking anyone interested to include a specific code word in their text, such as zoomzoom5 if I were selling my Mazda. Any responses without it will either be a bot, or someone that's just too stupid to follow basic instructions. Either way, I don't want to deal with them.

Last edited:
That's way more Craigslist support than I expected. I'll give them a shot. I'll still hit Cars.com as they're based in my area and seem to get a lot of traffic. Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions.

I use Craigslist for less expensive vehicles, Autotrader for anything over, say, $10,000, and forums for cars like my 68 Corvette. At times, I would post on multiple sites, simultaneously. Beware of emails that ask you to call a google voice number. I have read that if you do and select "okay", your phone number can be used by the culprit. This happened once when my Protg was listed on Craigslist.

Latest posts

Back