Question about 1st gen CX-5 gas tank capacity.

:
2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD
If memory serves correctly,the gas tank capacity of my 2014 CX-5 is slightly more than 13 gallons.Tonight I put in 13.012 gallons according to the pump.My digital segment (no needle)gas gauge showed about 1/8 tank and "range" was about 50 miles left.Did not have low fuel warning light either.Leads me to believe it holds more than spec'd out.Anybody have experience with this?

I think your gauge was right. Slightly more than 13g. Actually the manual says 14.8g. So you had about 1.8g remaining and 50 miles might be possible but its probably better to not find out.

I think somebody said the fuel pump needs fuel to cools its motor. Getting too low on fuel might not be good for it.

14.8 in fwd, 15.3 awd- I've run mine on fumes and never had an issue..0 is not really 0:)

14.8 in fwd, 15.3 awd- I've run mine on fumes and never had an issue..0 is not really 0:)
Someone had tested his new 2016 CX-5 and he drove 62 miles to run out of the gas after the Distance to Empty showed 0. ;)

Most I can recall putting into our AWD's is 14.5-14.7 gallons. This is after running 30-35 miles past RANGE 0.

If I reach an area where I will need to run past the 0 range, here is my tried and true method:

I reset my trip odometer B to zero, once I reach 0 miles on the range, this way I can easily track how many miles I have driven past the 0 Range.

I know that I have full access to at least 1 more gallon of fuel after range is 0, so I watch my MPG's from this point to see how far to go on my last gallon.

Thanks guys for the replies.14.8 gallons it is.Guess the ol' memory isn't so good.I could have swore I saw 13.2 or 13.4 gallons listed somewhere a long time ago and thought it was rather small.

Haha that's pretty ballsy I don't think I've gotten quite that much in her..maybe 14.5 or thereabouts cpl times but typically I'm high 13s/14. My method is similar but a bit different..I reset trip and mpg every fill- typically shows +/-.5 either side of 29 which often will be up to 1 full mpg optimistic. So if I'm getting 29 per the display, I figure 28x15(I always top up) I should be able to scrape out 420 pretty safely if I had to, 400 w/no worries- which is pretty much my norm. This is often running on 0 range for 10 or so miles.

Haha that's pretty ballsy I don't think I've gotten quite that much in her..maybe 14.5 or thereabouts cpl times but typically I'm high 13s/14.

It is definitely exciting... (ugh)

I reserve this method for use when there is no known traffic jam areas ahead, and flat roads.(peep)

Back