My dealership made an "oops"

That doesn't seem to matter to most of the dealers folks talk about here.

Much of their behavoiur seems to be a race to the bottom.

Lol, ain't that the truth.

Uno, happy to hear that they were able to turn a poor experience around for you. That dealer would have earned me as a future customer as well (provided my next vehicle is a Mazda).

Dealer does not want you to give them bad feedback when the survey comes.
They get rewards from Mazda if the satisfaction index is high.

Best joke on this forum for a looooooooooooooooong time.

My dealer would have stuck a can of Campbell's soup (not even the low sodium variety). But have seen this honesty from my Toyota dealer and have 6 Qts Mobil 1 from Sam's at home. Need to order the oil filter and let them change my oil. My Mazda dealer will not see my car again (hopefully).

You really cannot beat that for service. Dealership is the way to go, 100%, IMO/IME

I'm struggling to understand how you could possibly come to this conclusion.

You wait around at the dealership for an hour, only to be told they can't complete the oil change, because they ran out of oil filters?
Then you have to wait around even longer while they drive to an auto parts store to get an aftermarket filter?
This dealership is completely incompetent!

You must have a really low bar for what constitutes good service.
To claim "you really cannot beat that for service" and "this dealership is the way to go, 100%"...seriously??

You can absolutely beat that by using a professional that has the basic materials needed to complete an oil change and doesn't make you burn your precious time waiting for them to run around picking up supplies.

Last edited:
I am surprised a dealership would put on an aftermarket filter. Would have thought they would quick ship a filter from another dealer or give you a loaner until they got one.

Dealer does not want you to give them bad feedback when the survey comes.
They get rewards from Mazda if the satisfaction index is high.

I guess if you consider "rewards" to be not having your pay deducted or not being fired

You wait around at the dealership for an hour, only to be told they can't complete the oil change, because they ran out of oil filters?
Then you have to wait around even longer while they drive to an auto parts store to get an aftermarket filter?

To claim "you really cannot beat that for service" and "this dealership is the way to go, 100%"...seriously??

You can absolutely beat that by using a professional that has the basic materials needed to complete an oil change and doesn't make you burn your precious time waiting for them to run around picking up supplies.

True that. The day I buy my car is the last day I step foot in the dealership, period. If it needs major warranty work, then I bought the wrong car to begin with, and it's off to another brand and dealership, unfortunately.

True that. The day I buy my car is the last day I step foot in the dealership, period. If it needs major warranty work, then I bought the wrong car to begin with, and it's off to another brand and dealership, unfortunately.

Not sure I would jump to that conclusion regarding all dealerships.
I've had great, good, fair and downright awful (as in trying to cheat me financially) experiences with dealerships over the years.
They are NOT all the same, and it doesn't seem to matter which manufacturer it is either.
There are good and bad dealers across all makes.
It comes down to how the business is run. Don't paint them all with the same brush.
I had a great (Nissan) dealership go down the toilet when it sold out to another owner, and the new owner changed everything and everybody.
The secret seems to be in finding a good dealership, and then developing a good relationship with them.
In the case of my Mazda, I have not set foot in the dealership building where I bought it, and they have not bothered contacting me with any kind of followups in over two years of ownership.
I have taken my car into another Mazda dealer closer to me for service, and they have been excellent, so that's where I will continue to go.
Cheers everyone.

Sounds like a very good dealer. Parts ran out and instead of saying they changed the filter when they didn't they went out and bought one and got the job finished without too much hassle. Not many dealers would go out of their way to help a customer under those circumstances. Ed

They could have pulled the old filter out of the trash, reinstalled it, and sent him on his merry way none the wiser. Instead they made it right and didnt charge a dime for the service. s*** happens and they fixed it as best as they could that day.

I would hope that the dealer in question learned something. Always go and get the items needed from the parts department BEFORE starting the job...

I've had great, good, fair and downright awful (as in trying to cheat me financially) experiences with dealerships over the years.
They are NOT all the same, and it doesn't seem to matter which manufacturer it is either.
It comes down to how the business is run. Don't paint them all with the same brush.
I had a great (Nissan) dealership go down the toilet when it sold out to another owner, and the new owner changed everything and everybody.
The secret seems to be in finding a good dealership, and then developing a good relationship with them.
In the case of my Mazda, I have not set foot in the dealership building where I bought it, and they have not bothered contacting me with any kind of followups in over two years of ownership.
I have taken my car into another Mazda dealer closer to me for service, and they have been excellent, so that's where I will continue to go.
Cheers everyone.

I care about one thing and one thing only, the lowest price on the car I'm buying. I don't need a dealer for anything after that. Couldn't careless about a relationship with a dealer. 99% of my cars are bought outta town, so a relationship isn't going to happen anyways. When I drive outta a dealership, it better be my last time going to one because if not, I need warranty work, and that sucks.

I care about one thing and one thing only, the lowest price on the car I'm buying. I don't need a dealer for anything after that. Couldn't careless about a relationship with a dealer. 99% of my cars are bought outta town, so a relationship isn't going to happen anyways. When I drive outta a dealership, it better be my last time going to one because if not, I need warranty work, and that sucks.

I agree 100%! The less your car sees of the dealer the better off you are. If the dealer never sees your car then they won't ever have a chance to screw something up.

I agree 100%! The less your car sees of the dealer the better off you are. If the dealer never sees your car then they won't ever have a chance to screw something up.

I don't really feel like working on it myself, to be honest, so to the dealer it goes.

I wonder if I got an Oops on the price an oil & filter change at the dealership I bought my 2019 CX-5 from. Although it was complementary, the receipt showed it would have been $31.25 USD. It showed a 1WPE-14-302 filter, the gasket, 5 qts of Mobil Super Syn oil, a washer fluid top off. That seems too cheap and I'd be crazy to do the changes myself. Is that around the prices members of this forum are paying?

I wonder if I got an Oops on the price an oil & filter change at the dealership I bought my 2019 CX-5 from. Although it was complementary, the receipt showed it would have been $31.25 USD. It showed a 1WPE-14-302 filter, the gasket, 5 qts of Mobil Super Syn oil, a washer fluid top off. That seems too cheap and I'd be crazy to do the changes myself. Is that around the prices members of this forum are paying?

My dealer wants $79, I get it done for $42 elsewhere, and that includes a tire rotation (OEM filter and Penn Platinum oil).

Cheers everyone.

^This.
Generalizations always have exceptions. That's why they're called generalizations.

^This.
Generalizations always have exceptions. That's why they're called generalizations.

I didnt make a generalization, I made a personal statement that was backed by others, I will NEVER use a dealer for more than the original purchase of a new car, other than warranty work, unfortunately, I dont care how good the dealer or its reviews are. Never have and never will, and its not because of a bad experience at any dealer for the matter.

I didn*t make a generalization, I made a personal statement that was backed by others, I will NEVER use a dealer for more than the original purchase of a new car, other than warranty work, unfortunately, I don*t care how good the dealer or it*s reviews are. Never have and never will, and it*s not because of a bad experience at any dealer for the matter.

That's cool. I wasn't responding to your statement.

Back