My dealership made an "oops"

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I scheduled an oil change for this afternoon, and made my appointment right on time. My CX5 was taken back in a timely fashion and about 45 minutes later, I was told by the manager that they had drained out all of my oil only to discover that...surprise! They have no oil filters in stock for my vehicle. Kinda shocked, honestly.

Everyone has a failure. It's how you deal with it that matters.

My dealer:

-Went to a local auto shop and got me a filter of my choice (I chose a Wix, based on prior experience).
-Did not charge me a dime for today's services (with no urging or prompt from me.)
-Offered to replace the filter AGAIN with the OEM, at no charge to me, in the morning when they arrived. (I opted not to, Wix standard filter will be fine for a 5K mile OCI The Wix XP filters much poorer, so it can last for a 15K mi OCI, and I don't recommend it, personally. They bought me the exact filter I wanted, the standard Wix.).

You really cannot beat that for service. Dealership is the way to go, 100%, IMO/IME

Was this a Mazda dealer? If so, I am really surprised that they did not have an oil filter in stock.

Dealer does not want you to give them bad feedback when the survey comes.
They get rewards from Mazda if the satisfaction index is high.

That doesn't seem to matter to most of the dealers folks talk about here.

Much of their behaviour seems to be a race to the bottom.

Last edited:

I suppose. Also...

-Tech explained to me that yes, he HAD noticed his CX9 was much slower when we had a cold snap and temps were <20. He was going to reach out to some friends of his and ask about it.
-Service manager will datalog my vehicle when I bring it in later this year in temps <20.
-This dealer has also replaced a $2800 diff that I flooded, on their dime, 'cuz.

Survey driven or not, this dealer delivers, and if their goal is to create a repeat customer, whatever, they succeeded.

That doesn't seem to matter to most of the dealers folks talk about here.

Much of their behavoiur seems to be a race to the bottom.

Yeah, I have something that rubs me the wrong way with most visits to my dealer. I try to avoid going unless necessary.

I suppose. Also...

-Tech explained to me that yes, he HAD noticed his CX9 was much slower when we had a cold snap and temps were <20. He was going to reach out to some friends of his and ask about it.
-Service manager will datalog my vehicle when I bring it in later this year in temps <20.

Cool! I can't wait to hear what they've got to say.

Cool! I can't wait to hear what they've got to say.

Will wait for cold weather and then datalog, but t hey said it's not likely to turn much up in the way of errors as the ECU would catch it. This is definitely tune related from the mothership, is my bet.

Will wait for cold weather and then datalog, but t hey said it's not likely to turn much up in the way of errors as the ECU would catch it. This is definitely tune related from the mothership, is my bet.

I was gonna say that it's likely the ECU programming, and they can't really do anything about it. But maybe they have the equipment to see exactly what the ECU is doing to choke it back.

With that data, it would be interesting to reach out to some of the places that offer ECU tuning to see if their modifications impact this behaviour. It might generate some business.

Last edited:
I scheduled an oil change for this afternoon, and made my appointment right on time. My CX5 was taken back in a timely fashion and about 45 minutes later, I was told by the manager that they had drained out all of my oil only to discover that...surprise! They have no oil filters in stock for my vehicle. Kinda shocked, honestly.

My dealer:

-Went to a local auto shop and got me a filter of my choice (I chose a Wix, based on prior experience).
-Did not charge me a dime for today's services (with no urging or prompt from me.)
-Offered to replace the filter AGAIN with the OEM, at no charge to me, in the morning when they arrived. (I opted not to, Wix standard filter will be fine for a 5K mile OCI The Wix XP filters much poorer, so it can last for a 15K mi OCI, and I don't recommend it, personally. They bought me the exact filter I wanted, the standard Wix.).

You really cannot beat that for service. Dealership is the way to go, 100%, IMO/IME
Yes your Mazda dealer definitely is a rare species providing excellent service.

But if I were you Id call service manager that I changed my mind and want the Wix oil filter replaced with OEM. Ill check the oil level afterwards too.

Your 2.5T uses different oil filter, 1WPE-14-302, from 2.5L, PE01-14-302A、PE01-14-302B、1WPE-14-302、or PE01-14-302A-MV.

Wix 57002 is compatible with PE01-14-302A, not 1WPE-14-302.

Yes your Mazda dealer definitely is a rare species providing excellent service.

But if I were you I*d call service manager that I changed my mind and want the Wix oil filter replaced with OEM. I*ll check the oil level afterwards too.

Your 2.5T uses different oil filter, 1WPE-14-302, from 2.5L, PE01-14-302A*PE01-14-302B*1WPE-14-302*or PE01-14-302A-MV.

Wix 57002 is compatible with PE01-14-302A, not 1WPE-14-302.

I honestly really doubt that it matters to be honest. If it does matter, the engine is covered for another 125K miles, and they have a loaner for the downtime...

That said, WIX does indeed list the 57002 as compatible with my vehicle, which uses the same filter as the 2016-2020 CX9.
https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartApplications.aspx?Part=57002

Last edited:
My dealer didn't have 5w30 oil in stock for my new CX7 because all there vehicles were 5w20 in 2007. Then went to local Auto Parts store and got me Mobil 1 5w30. They showed me the oil as I watched then put it in. NO charge for the service because it took so long and their fault. This from MAZDA dealer in Fort Myers FL. Still a great dealer and I bought my CX5 because of that. Ed

My dealer didn't have 5w30 oil in stock for my new CX7 because all there vehicles were 5w20 in 2007. Then went to local Auto Parts store and got me Mobil 1 5w30. They showed me the oil as I watched then put it in. NO charge for the service because it took so long and their fault. This from MAZDA dealer in Fort Myers FL. Still a great dealer and I bought my CX5 because of that. Ed

Nice! Yes, they gave me the box of the WIX filter so I could double-check the compatibility, etc.

My dealer:

You really cannot beat that for service. Some dealerships are the way to go, 100%, IMO/IME

FIFY (Fixed It For You)

Last edited:
That is surprising. I have never had a problem with my Mazda dealers. My current one is very good and always goes the extra mile for me.

I officially decree this is the good dealer story thread. :D

Call 'em out, too!
My dealer, Mike Bass Mazda in Sheffield Lake, Ohio is one of the good ones, too.
Took my CX5 there for its final service before the warranty ran out. I take it in and ask them to look it over. Tell them to put my winters, change the oil and change the diff fluid. I'm exactly at 35,996 miles.
Service manager tells me after they look at it: I don't need to change the diff fluid at this time.
I told him to do it. He had free reign to do that service and charge me whatever... $100? $150? Whatever. Didn't care. Pre authorized it.
Dealer told me to SAVE MY MONEY?!?!?!
Yea, I was 99% sure this would be my last visit to the dealer. That alone makes me think I may just go back to see them. And maybe that was the plan all along. Maybe this service manager is a pretty smart guy. Whatever... I love my dealer. :D

I honestly really doubt that it matters to be honest. If it does matter, the engine is covered for another 125K miles, and they have a loaner for the downtime...

That said, WIX does indeed list the 57002 as compatible with my vehicle, which uses the same filter as the 2016-2020 CX9.
https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartApplications.aspx?Part=57002
You know very well that aftermarket parts often are one-size-fit-all. Unlike others, Wix has stepped up and designed 57002 to meet the specification from Mazdas PE01-14-302A for SkyActiv-G 2.0L and 2.5L. They could have specified older 51358 / 51365 filters, which are for older Mazda 4-cylinders, for SkyActiv-Gs like other aftermarket oil filters. Now Mazda has designed another 1WPE-14-302 oil filter for its SkyActiv-G 2.5T when it first came out on gen-2 2016 CX-9. Theres a reason why Mazda wants to use a different oil filter on 2.5T, but we can only know the 1WPE-14-302 filter has to be different spec-wise from PE01-14-302A. But aftermarket oil filters dont really care, as long as it fits, and offers filtering function.

By looking at applications of Wix 57002 from your link, it only says for 2014-2020 L4 2.5L 2488cc (SKYACTIV), which doesnt list a separate line for 2019 CX-5 with 2.5T. Further for the CX-9, it lists 2016-2018 L4 2.5L 152CID and 2019-2020 L4 2.5L 2500CC 153CID - in 2 separate lines. When did Mazda modify the displacement of SA-G 2.5T for 2019 and up? And it doesnt list a separate line for 2019 CX-5 2.5T?

In other words, this application chart is not accurate. It tried to use older 57002 used on 2.5L to cover a different oil filter for 2.5T to save extra development cost. Heres a warning from MNAO that OEM oil filter used on older Mazda 4-cylinders cantt be used on SkyActiv-G 4-cylinders although it fits. Many aftermarket oil filters would claim their one-size oil filter fits ALL Mazda 4-cylinders from older Mazda2、Mazda3、Mazda6, to newer SkyActiv-G 4-cylinders including 2.5T turbo!

attachment.php

F9862F4B-B5AE-4066-A869-6B3E7A395D42.jpeg

Here is one MNAO PDF to their US Mazda Dealers concerning genuine Oil Filter(s) installation and use for ALL SA Engines..
Mazda Dealers (in USA particularly) are also seeing stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM) when they use even 'other' genuine Mazda oil filters in Skyactiv engines, see pic, they look identical, but it is what is inside.

attachment.php

Back