My dealership made an "oops"

(doh) all they do, like overfiling oil too haha

I have only had 1 bad dealership workmanship experience, and it was a Nissan dealer that CONTINUED to screw up. Indy shops? I have had one GOOD experience, lol! Dealerships are cheap, so I use them. There is the added warranty on the work/parts, also, typically 12/12 at a bare minimum, but LIFETIME for Mazda brakes (including wearing them out through typical use). The 2 times an indy was cheaper was installing a junk-yard transmission in my infiniti, and replacing the LCA's on my Jeep...which they "forgot" to tighten, and I had to fix it. My mazda? I've never found an indy shop cheaper than the dealer.

Our opinions are all shaped by our experiences. I*ve had screwups at both dealerships and Indy shops.

Most intelligent comment on here yet.
In over 50 years of driving, I've experienced screwups (unintentional, and intentional rip off attempts) at both.
It comes down to finding a dealership or Indy shop that you can trust and have confidence in, and giving them your continued business.

Preferring to use the dealership for all of your service/maintenance is OK.
But burying your head in the sand about the realities of dealer work isn't.
The pro-dealership points you are making don't even apply to your experience!

You dealer did NOT do the job right using Mazda parts.
They had you wait around while they drove to Pep Boys for some aftermarket filter.

Your claim that the average dealer mechanic has some specialized knowledge/skills is also ridiculous.
The people doing routine maintenance are unskilled, entry level grease monkeys. As you experienced, they don't even ensure they have the proper parts on hand before performing a basic service.

Nailed it!

Mistakes can happen whether its at a new car dealership or at an independently owned auto repair shop. Its how the business handles a mistake that determines how good they are.

On one occasion, I went to a dealership which Ive frequented many times for an oil and filter change. The service writer checked the wrong box on the work order form. I told him that Id wait for the car in their customer waiting room. He checked the box that Id come back later that day to pick up the car. After about an hour went by, I asked him about the cars status. Thats when he realized his error on the form. He did not charge me for the oil change.

OEM parts are usually better and more expensive than aftermarket parts. I think dealerships are required to use OEM parts exclusively. The dealership may have violated their agreement with Mazda by substituting an aftermarket oil filter on your car.

Mistakes can happen whether it*s at a new car dealership or at an independently owned auto repair shop. It*s how the business handles a mistake that determines how good they are.

On one occasion, I went to a dealership which I*ve frequented many times for an oil and filter change. The service writer checked the wrong box on the work order form. I told him that I*d wait for the car in their customer waiting room. He checked the box that I*d come back later that day to pick up the car. After about an hour went by, I asked him about the car*s status. That*s when he realized his error on the form. He did not charge me for the oil change.

OEM parts are usually better and more expensive than aftermarket parts. I think dealerships are required to use OEM parts exclusively. The dealership may have violated their agreement with Mazda by substituting an aftermarket oil filter on your car.

They might have, at that. That's their problem, not mine, and the magnussen act covers me and warranty, regardless.

What a weird thread. 5 pages and over 60 posts that mostly challenge the OP to see the experience as negative - since the story begins with a mistake. Never mind that the dealer tried to correct the mistake. Is that who we are on this forum?
Is this the Mazda forum that is full of cranks? Is it all Mazda owners or just the average CX-5 owner a crank? I hope not. I've got some curmudgeon tendencies that I'm fighting as I age. With effort and some luck my goal is to be the old guy that others remember as generous and positive. Cranky comes natural.

The OP has a good dealer - a dealer worth the typical 30% premium over an independent shop. I do 99.9% of all the work on my cars and the cars of family and friends. But I have made some mistakes. I am also lucky that my Mazda dealer offers excellent service and is a great alternative if I want to treat myself by letting others do some work. There are a couple of independent shops that are also good. I hope you guys find some decent places too.

Daymac:

Here's a couple of "honest repair shop" stories for you.

My brother owned his own shop (sold it a year or so ago and retired). A customer brought in his car and the mechanic couldn't get the timing to hold properly. Further investigation showed that the timing belt (installed by others) had not been installed properly. It was just out of warranty. My brother called the other shop that had done the work, talked to the owner, explained that the work had not been done properly in the first place, and got them to redo it for the guy at no charge. He did lots of stuff like that. Got written up in the local paper for being an "honest shop."

Airport Auto near me in Charlottesville, VA was a place near my job (before retirement) where I would drop off my car or truck for service as I went to work, to pick it up at the end of the day. I did a lot of business with them (oil changes, repairs, tires). The guy once replaced the rear fuel pump in my 1990 Volvo. A few days later the thing began to dog and stall as though it were fuel-starved. I took it back, and the problem ended up being some debris in the intake and cold solder joints on the circuit board that sat behind the radio (tons of relays in that thing). His tech re-hit every solder joint on the circuit board. When I went to pick it up and the owner told me that it was not the fuel pump but these unrelated issues that coincidentally popped up. He then said "No charge." I argued with the guy (knowing my brother's occasional struggles with his business) and demanded to pay him. We went back & forth in a reverse-role kinda thing. He steadfastly refused to take my money. Not only did it run well after that, the electronic 5th gear overdrive that used to randomly disengage worked perfectly from from that day forward. Yeh, I often recommend these guys.

What a weird thread. 5 pages and over 60 posts that mostly challenge the OP to see the experience as negative - since the story begins with a mistake. Never mind that the dealer tried to correct the mistake. Is that who we are on this forum?
Is this the Mazda forum that is full of cranks? Is it all Mazda owners or just the average CX-5 owner a crank? I hope not. I've got some curmudgeon tendencies that I'm fighting as I age. With effort and some luck my goal is to be the old guy that others remember as generous and positive. Cranky comes natural.

The OP has a good dealer - a dealer worth the typical 30% premium over an independent shop. I do 99.9% of all the work on my cars and the cars of family and friends. But I have made some mistakes. I am also lucky that my Mazda dealer offers excellent service and is a great alternative if I want to treat myself by letting others do some work. There are a couple of independent shops that are also good. I hope you guys find some decent places too.

To be fair, I recognize that I'm cold and a dick. I deal with people. It's part of the process. So I'm not gonna call anyone out for it. However...some of you all just need better dealerships.

To be fair, I recognize that I'm cold and a dick. I deal with people. It's part of the process. So I'm not gonna call anyone out for it. However...some of you all just need better dealerships.

Are you going to be the Grinch for Christmas this year? :)

Well said.

(werd)

Umm kay, lol.

30% premium justified. Lmao!

Daymac:

Here's a couple of "honest repair shop" stories for you.

My brother owned his own shop (sold it a year or so ago and retired). A customer brought in his car and the mechanic couldn't get the timing to hold properly. Further investigation showed that the timing belt (installed by others) had not been installed properly. It was just out of warranty. My brother called the other shop that had done the work, talked to the owner, explained that the work had not been done properly in the first place, and got them to redo it for the guy at no charge. He did lots of stuff like that. Got written up in the local paper for being an "honest shop."

Airport Auto near me in Charlottesville, VA was a place near my job (before retirement) where I would drop off my car or truck for service as I went to work, to pick it up at the end of the day. I did a lot of business with them (oil changes, repairs, tires). The guy once replaced the rear fuel pump in my 1990 Volvo. A few days later the thing began to dog and stall as though it were fuel-starved. I took it back, and the problem ended up being some debris in the intake and cold solder joints on the circuit board that sat behind the radio (tons of relays in that thing). His tech re-hit every solder joint on the circuit board. When I went to pick it up and the owner told me that it was not the fuel pump but these unrelated issues that coincidentally popped up. He then said "No charge." I argued with the guy (knowing my brother's occasional struggles with his business) and demanded to pay him. We went back & forth in a reverse-role kinda thing. He steadfastly refused to take my money. Not only did it run well after that, the electronic 5th gear overdrive that used to randomly disengage worked perfectly from from that day forward. Yeh, I often recommend these guys.

Thank you! Remember folks, this is what I decreed this thread to be now!
(hehehehehehe)

My dealer doesn't charge me a premum for oil changes, I'll tell you what. As ol' Hank Hill used to say.
Oil change + tire rotation = $79 for pure synthetic. I got a flyer in the mail just yesterday for a local garage: $89 for a full synth oil change.
Only.
Yea... F that guy.

This is not an average Joe forum. Not very moderate as far as forums go. Other forums much easier going. I frequent this one for some of the great maintenance tips shared here, find myself visiting less due to the drama.

Back