Oil change schedule - fixed vs flexible?

Today my infotainment spontaneously restarted, resetting most settings including maintenance schedule. In trying to reset, I wonder if people here use flexible or fixed schedule?
I am currently at 6300 miles and 4 months of ownership, set it up for flexible maintenance and it shows maintenance due in 1200 miles which seems correct.

If more information is needed, I live in LA - traffic sucks.

I go with 5K schedule by looking at the odometer.
I turned the reminder off since it beeped while I was driving.
Very annoying and stupid, if you ask me.
It should beep at startup of engine.... for example.

I trust the algorithm that Mazda developed. After one year and about 5000 miles, it tells me it's time to change the oil and filter.

For my Mazda 3, we initially used fixed but switched to flexible.
My CX-5 does not support flexible schedule, so 6 months or 7500 miles.
In any case, I write this down, so I can ensure that I replace oil at least once a year.

I am almost sure every body here in Sweden (and the rest of Europe??) uses flexible depending on the car (if it has a flexible system or not). Both my last two vehicles have used flexible oil change prompted by the car's computer. But there is a minimum period of one year even if your mileage is not sufficient for oil change.

So after the infotainment restart yesterday, I set it to flexible and it said I have 1200 miles to go. That seemed ok, but even after driving for 100+ miles, it still shows 1200 miles to go! :|

But there is a minimum period of one year even if your mileage is not sufficient for oil change.

I believe you mean MAXIMUM of 1 year. Moisture in the oil may build up over time, so even though I use full synthetic oil, I change it every year.

So after the infotainment restart yesterday, I set it to flexible and it said I have 1200 miles to go. That seemed ok, but even after driving for 100+ miles, it still shows 1200 miles to go! :|
Once you reset the flexible oil change schedule, it should display 7,500 miles for gen-2 CX-5, or 100% for gen-1 2016 CX-5. But you had system crash, and your reset procedure may have been out of sync between using the trip meter switch to reset the powertrain control module (PCM) and using the infotainment to reset the connectivity master unit (CMU). Check 2 related TSBs for further details and you should go to your Mazda dealer to perform at least the TSB 09-037/18 if necessary.

TSB 01-008/19 - ENGINE OIL FLEXIBLE MAINTENANCE NOTIFICATION DOES NOT WORK

TSB 09-037/18 - OIL MAINTENANCE MONITOR RESET CONCERNS

I turned on Flexible OCI since new for my 2016 CX-5, but I actually change the oil earlier (not until the Oil change due message displayed) at about 30% of oil life left and reset the oil life monitor to 100% again.

Last edited:
I am almost sure every body here in Sweden (and the rest of Europe??) uses flexible depending on the car (if it has a flexible system or not). Both my last two vehicles have used flexible oil change prompted by the car's computer. But there is a minimum period of one year even if your mileage is not sufficient for oil change.
Yes most vehicles offer Flexible OCI in Europe since many years ago for environmental concerns (less oil change, less used oil to pollute). Some may even be mandatory. And if not, it would have much longer fixed OCI than in the US. My 2000 BMW 528i has Flexible oil change monitor, and it can go up to 17,500 miles to notify an oil change!

I believe you mean MAXIMUM of 1 year. Moisture in the oil may build up over time, so even though I use full synthetic oil, I change it every year.

Yes, thank you. I meant maximum not minimum. Humbly yours and truly grateful.

Just got back my failed memory. The BMW 320i that I had earlier had a flexible oil change period of 20000km or two years, whichever came first. Since I did not reach that mileage it was always two years for me. That car saved on the service cost by being serviced once in two years but every thing else seemed to fall apart after 3 years. Got rid off it.

Latest posts

Back