Spontaneous infotainment restart and settings reset

Hi all,
Long gone are the days of freezing and crashing infotainment... but today I had a spontaneous restart while driving. This isn't the first time this happened, but this is the first time all my settings were reset. This was frustrating since it reset my maintenance schedule, phone and communication settings, navigation settings, etc.... surprisingly, Active Driving Display and Sound settings did not reset...

Anyone seen this happen?

I've not had it happen in my 9 months of ownership, about 6,000 miles and 250 or so trips.

-I've had XM fail to load 2-3 times. Manual reboot did not fix it.
-I've had the NAV System fail to give directions (verbal or on the HUD) once. Manual reboot did not fix it.
-Voice Recognition for the radio has about a 20% fail-to-load-properly rate. Manual reboot does not ever fix it.

Those are the only infotainment/system issues I have had.

With the car off eject the Nav SD card and then start the car, see if your issues go away.

If the issues do go away then either your SD card is bad or, more likely, the connections between the SD card and the card reader are marginal. The cold temps exacerbate (word of the day) the problem.

The solution is simple in this case. Get yourself some quality electrical contact cleaner that's safe for plastics.

Here's the best and what I use. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

With the car off eject the SD card and apply a small amount of cleaner to the contacts on the card (the above bottle comes with a small brush similar to nail polish). Insert the card into the reader, then eject it again. Do this a few times so that the 'wiping action' cleans the connections and transfers the cleaner to the contacts of the reader.

Insert the card and test it out and see what's what.

Take it to Mazda and tell then it rebooting on its own. They will install the latest Mazda Connect version

Take it to Mazda and tell then it rebooting on its own. They will install the latest Mazda Connect version

If the system is rebooting on it's own, and it's because of the firmware not being up to the latest version, then all systems that don't have the latest firmware updates would exbibit this same behavior, no?

My system was acting this same way till I followed the procedure that I outlined above.

YMMV

Spontaneous infotainment restart and settings rese

If the system is rebooting on it's own, and it's because of the firmware not being up to the latest version, then all systems that don't have the latest firmware updates would exbibit this same behavior, no?

My system was acting this same way till I followed the procedure that I outlined above.

YMMV
Yes, I totally agree. Those random system reboots most likely is caused by hardware issue, not the software. One of the million components is not functioning within specs, which causes reboot. Software sometimes can prevent certain conditions, but it cant cover every aspect of hardware abnormal functioning.

Most random reboot problems Ive seen can never truly be resolved by software upgrade, but the entire infotainment unit has to be replaced.

YMMV

In one of the software updates in the last year or two it specifically listed 'system randomly rebooting' as one of the fixes made. Updating the software is the usually 1st troubleshooting step they will do at a dealership when a customer comes in with an issue like this

In one of the software updates in the last year or two it specifically listed 'system randomly rebooting' as one of the fixes made. Updating the software is the usually 1st troubleshooting step they will do at a dealership when a customer comes in with an issue like this

My point here is that IF the contacts on the card/card reader are at fault, it's VERY simple to apply contact cleaner to said contacts to see if this corrects the issue. If the issue goes away then you're good to go without a visit to the dealer. If it doesn't go away then it's off to the dealer with you.

Maybe it's just me. If something is wrong with something of mine the first thing that I do is to try to fix it myself. I'm not calling anyone out here but these days SO many people seem helpless and the first thing that they do is to look to someone else to fix what ever issue it is that they are having (not just with cars either).

Of course not everyone has the skills to fix things but if we're talking about something EXTREAMLY SIMPLE such as applying some contact cleaner to a few contacts, well, do it yourself! You'll get a sense of accomplishment and you'll learn something to boot.

Besides, every household needs to have some contact cleaner in the house. How many times have you grabbed a flashlight and had to bang is against something to get it to work? If you have applied a bit of contact cleaner to the battery terminals you wouldn't have that problem. And yes, when I replace batteries in something I always coat the contacts with cleaner.

YMMV

While mine didn't obviously reboot, I went to switch to Sirius yesterday, only to find that all of my favorites and settings were gone. While it may very well be all in my head, it did seem that the sound quality was much improved. Strange...................

Besides, every household needs to have some contact cleaner in the house. How many times have you grabbed a flashlight and had to bang is against something to get it to work? If you have applied a bit of contact cleaner to the battery terminals you wouldn't have that problem. And yes, when I replace batteries in something I always coat the contacts with cleaner.

YMMV

Thanks for that Amazon link.

I've always kept a can of spray electronics cleaner, a can of compressed air, a tube of dialectric grease and a tube of anti-oxidant compound around.

I've never used brush-on contact cleaner, but it looks like in many instances it would be the better applicator rather than aerosol spray. Good idea to use it when replacing batteries...will likely help them last longer. It's added to my Wish List.

While mine didn't obviously reboot, I went to switch to Sirius yesterday, only to find that all of my favorites and settings were gone. While it may very well be all in my head, it did seem that the sound quality was much improved. Strange...................

It's so strange how so many of us are having radically different infotainment issues.

Did you manually repopulate your Favorites, or did you wait to see if they might magically reappear the next time you started your car? I have not had this happen to me yet...I bought my GTR in March 2019.

Got my GTR in February. I put a couple of faves back in to see if they stay, before manually re-doing them all. BTW, NAV saved destinations were gone as well.

It's so strange how so many of us are having radically different infotainment issues.

Did you manually repopulate your Favorites, or did you wait to see if they might magically reappear the next time you started your car? I have not had this happen to me yet...I bought my GTR in March 2019.

Got my GTR in February. I put a couple of faves back in to see if they stay, before manually re-doing them all. BTW, NAV saved destinations were gone as well.

Sounds like some kind of power interruption, huh? I've heard of folks here losing this stuff when disconnecting their batteries. Even that makes no sense, as every vehicle I've owned has the presets saved in non-volatile memory or has batteries in the stereo.

My 2005 GMC Canyon has a parasitic drain, so I pull a couple of fuses (radio and Body Control Module) when I don't use it. I'll put the fuses in a month later, and while the clock has always reset, the Favorites are always there.

I had to manually reprogram all favorites and oil/service indicators... surprisingly, other settings were not lost (audio, active driving display, brightness, etc)

Thanks for that Amazon link.

I've always kept a can of spray electronics cleaner, a can of compressed air, a tube of dialectric grease and a tube of anti-oxidant compound around.

I've never used brush-on contact cleaner, but it looks like in many instances it would be the better applicator rather than aerosol spray. Good idea to use it when replacing batteries...will likely help them last longer. It's added to my Wish List.

DeoxIT also comes in spray form. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Back