2019 CX5 GTR Winter Tires

amr1001

I'm on a lease and I have tire and wheel protection coverage at my local NJ dealer.

They say that their system only recommends 19s for both regular and winter tires.

I want to put winter 18s or 17s because of what I've read about the benefits of going a size or two down.

They said that they don't advise it.

My questions:

1/ If I buy 17s or 18s, will they work or will they screw up ABS or TCS or anything else?

2/ If I buy 17s or 18s, will they refuse to install them for me?

3/ If I buy 17s or 18s and have them installed elsewhere, will that void my tire and wheel coverage?

4/ If I just get the winter 19s they recommend, will that be fine? How much worse is it than going a size lower?

Thanks!

The dealership probably doesn't advise it because they won't make as much money (smaller wheels and the tires that fit them are cheaper than the bigger wheels/tires).

2 and 3 are questions that you need to ask the dealer directly.

1 - The short answer is no, the smaller size will not mess with ABS or TCS, as long as the offset, backspacing, width and overall diameter of the new wheel and tire combination is about the same as the original. Since the GTR and Signature have slightly bigger brakes than the lower trims, a 17" rim is the smallest you can do. If you're unsure about any of these parameters and aren't interested in learning, ask your tire shop for recommendations. There's also a very handy spreadsheet that another member created for the CX-5, I don't have the link but I'm sure someone else can provide it. Also, keep in mind that if you don't purchase and install a second set of TPMS sensors when you get your winter tires mounted to your new wheels, you'll have to live with the TPMS light always being on in the winter.

4 - If you get winter 19s, it won't be any worse than what you have now (aside from road noise - winter tires are usually louder than all-season or summer tires). A smaller wheel size means you can get tires with taller sidewalls, which generally ride more comfortably and offer more protection from road hazards like potholes.

Last edited:
Well..as much as I was about to say definitely get the 17s(I also run them w/XI2s that are vg in all but the very worst conditions) and you could pretty safely forgo the WT coverage with all that extra rubber- I quickly priced up a TR pkg that ran into 1400 with the sensors sooo given you're leasing I'd say go w/the OEM sized 19s- and make the winter/spring switchovers. Bit of a hassle and not as much to choose(Yokohamas sb fine) but you should still save a nice chunk(local shop charges me 60 to m/b all 4)

I'm on a lease and I have tire and wheel protection coverage at my local NJ dealer.

They say that their system only recommends 19s for both regular and winter tires.

I want to put winter 18s or 17s because of what I've read about the benefits of going a size or two down.

They said that they don't advise it.

My questions:

1/ If I buy 17s or 18s, will they work or will they screw up ABS or TCS or anything else?

2/ If I buy 17s or 18s, will they refuse to install them for me?

3/ If I buy 17s or 18s and have them installed elsewhere, will that void my tire and wheel coverage?

4/ If I just get the winter 19s they recommend, will that be fine? How much worse is it than going a size lower?

Thanks!
sm1ke has given you excellent advice and I might add a bit more. If I were you Id get 225/65R17 winter tires mounted on 17 steel wheels without TPMS sensors. I may consider to get a set of cheap TPMS sensors such as this just for not seeing the warning light all winter.

For 17 steel wheel you want to make sure it can be mounted at front without rubbing due to bigger front disk brake calipers on your 2019 CX-5 GT-R.

You should use tire stores such as Discount Tire or Costco to install your 17 winter tires. I cant see how your Mazda dealer could find a legit reason to void your tire and wheel protection coverage on your factory 19 tire set if you choose to use an extra set of 17 winter tires.

Winter/Snow tires

Winter Tire CX-5

TPMS for Winter Tires

Back