For those people who changed their battery, did you use a memory savor?

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
I guess my question is, can the battery be disconnected and reconnected with no ill effects other than the clock? Some cars may not start after the battery is disconnected and reconnected. I was thinking of getting a memory savor but maybe it is not really necessary.

After a new battery installed recently,I think the clock wasn't affected but the drivers power window auto up/down feature needed reset.The odometer reading might have been lost also.Can't remember.

I did not.

Clock reset, the auto up/down windows didn't work for a while. Can't remember if anything reset on my radio or not, but keep in mind I have a pre-Mazda Connect system.

That was really it.

Not sure how that compares to the more modern CX-5's though.

I did, but just because I have one (it's also a jump starter battery pack). Worked great - easy battery swap.

I guess my question is, can the battery be disconnected and reconnected with no ill effects other than the clock? Some cars may not start after the battery is disconnected and reconnected. I was thinking of getting a memory savor but maybe it is not really necessary.

My dealership did mine. I don't recall.

After a new battery installed recently,I think the clock wasn't affected but the drivers power window auto up/down feature needed reset.The odometer reading might have been lost also.Can't remember.

I think you mean that the trip odometer reading may have been lost. If the odometer reading reset to zero, used car salespeople would be very happy. :)

I ended up ordering one from Amazon, it seems like something good to have on hand even though it won't be used much, sort of like how seldom jumper cables are used.

Yes, used on my Mazda 5 back in the day when I was adding a charging pigtail and had no issues with lost memory presets, power window position or ECU having to relearn itself after the disconnect.

I've seen 2 devices, one that uses a 9V that plugs into a cig lighter port and one that uses the ODBC port which you plug into one of those backup power boxes.

For the ones that plug into the cig lighter, you have to ensure it's a port that has power all the time or you need to have the key in acc position which I don't like to do when working with electrical in the car.

Yes. I ordered one that plugs into the obd port for that reason, and I am unsure how much power things, such as the dome light, would draw if using the cigarette lighter plug.

The memory savor works, I did a test. I turned the dome lights off just in case they drew too much juice. But I got to thinking, does anyone know what fuse is on the OBC pin 16 circuit? Pin 16 is the +12 supply circuit. I looked in my manual and didn't see a fuse for it.

Back