2018 CX-5 GT - Tire Pressure on 235/50/R19?

Cx5CHI

Replaced the OEM Toyo A36 at 28,000

Went with the Vredestein Quatrac Pro in 235/50/19R all-season tires, they have a max PSI of 51

Should I stick to the OEM tire recommended tire pressure of 35 +/- PSI?

I have always maintained the pressure shown on the door as it's the only pressure that considers the vehicle's weight and potential loading. The pressure should be checked when the tires are cold. The tire pressure will rise as the tires heat up. The max on the tire gives you leeway when they heat up. Also, other cars that use the same tires may require more pressure.

Last edited:
Replaced the OEM Toyo A36 at 28,000

Went with the Vredestein Quatrac Pro in 235/50/19R all-season tires, they have a max PSI of 51

Should I stick to the OEM tire recommended tire pressure of 35 +/- PSI?
You have to figure out the optimum tire pressure by yourself for your new Vredestein Quatrac Pro 235/50R19s (never heard of this brand, BTW) especially they have different tire size from factory recommended size. Id try 40 psi and decrease the tire pressure gradually until you found an ideal one. But it takes time to know the best tire pressure for even tire wear in the long run on different tires from factory.

One-size-fit-all single recommended tire pressure, 35 psi for your factory Toyo A36 on 2018 CX-5 GT, may not be an ideal pressure for different brand and size of tires. Load and speed differences should also be considered for an ideal tire pressure. Youll see a range of recommended tire pressures listed in CX-5 owners manual from non-US countries than a single recommended tire pressure for US market.

I go with 39 psi cold too for all four 19 tires mainly for even tread wear to maximize the tire life. My experience on one-number-fit-all manufacture recommended tire pressure for US market is its usually a bit too low which wears out the outer sides of tread faster. Tire pressure should be flexible depending on many variables: tire type、brand (design characteristic)、temperature、speed、and load. For those who believe we should follow Mazda recommended tire pressure with 35 psi (36 for gen-1 CX-5) on 19 tires, see the different tire pressure recommendations for CX-5 from UKs 2017 CX-5 Owners Manual with wide range from 36 to 42 psi depending on load. One example even recommends 45 psi on winter tires!

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 221618View attachment 221619

I have always maintained the pressure shown on the door as it's the only pressure that considers the vehicle's weight and potential loading. The pressure should be checked when the tires are cold. The tire pressure will rise as the tires heat up. The max on the tire gives you leeway when they heat up. Also, other cars that use the same tires may require more pressure.
The maximum tire pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire is the cold pressure. Most newly-designed tires with better technology have 51 psi cold like OPs or even higher for tries maximum pressure for better efficiency. You can safely pump up to 51 psi on OPs tires and drive without any safety issues even though tires will heat up and have higher pressure than 51 psi. Some tire manufactures such as Michelin and Yokohama usually have an @ sign associated with maximum load (load index), i.e. 1709 lbs. Max. Load @ 51 psi Max. Pressure.

Assuming you purchased the exact same tire size and load rating, I would stay close to the door sticker values. These are what the car was designed to run(handle) with given the mfgr tire specifications. No matter the brand. Going up a pound or 2 is fine and is usually what I do.

On my previous vehicle(truck) I bumped up a load rating to get more margin when towing a trailer. Car dealer, tire shop, tire mfgr all gave me completely different answers from 35 to 80 psi. Wished I would have stayed with oem load rated tires.

Back