Thread: Initial Review of KONIS Shocks/Struts

Registered Member

Thumbs up Initial Review of KONIS Shocks/Struts

Greetings to everyone here at the forum! I am a long time lurker here at the forum since I bought my 2016 Mazda CX-5 back in Sept of 2015. My car has approxiately 59,xxx miles on the odometer. I decided that I wanted to add a little more handling performance to my Mazda CX-5 since I like to drive a little spirited once in a while. Although the CX-5 has great handling dynamic caracterictics from the factory I felt there was still room for much improvement. So at 59,XXX miles I decided to change the struct/shocks despite them still being in useful conditions.

My initial review of the Konis Red Active Technology shocks/struts has to be one of the best bang for the buck modifications. This has changed the driving handling dynamics of the car for the better. The car squating when accelarating and nose dive when braking are completely eliminated. The ride quality also improved. And when taking the twisty curves it flattens out with minimum sway inclination, way better than OEM struts/shocks. I wish I had done this modification on the first 1,000 km when I had the car brand new. I cannot praise enough these Konis shocks/struts. I have not read anyone here at the forum that has done Koni Shocks/Struts modification to their CX-5, so I decided to share my initial review of them on the first 100 miles of testing them. I highly recommend them for those still on the wall indecisive if they should put these on their ride. For me it was worth the money, and had I known before I would have swapped them a long time ago.
    Last edited by NYG37S; 12-01-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Registered Member
    Contributor

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Thanks for the review.

Sounds like you're happy with your modification. Koni has been around forever...great product.

I always smile when I read of people making performance mods and remember that the subject of the sentence is an SUV.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    Thanks for the review.

Sounds like you're happy with your modification. Koni has been around forever...great product.

I always smile when I read of people making performance mods and remember that the subject of the sentence is an SUV.
    Yes, indeed Koni are a great product. Years back (2004) I had Koni Yellows on a 1982 240 Volvo b21ft that I once owned and enjoyed them for what they were. I didn't go for the yellows because I knew they would be too rough on a daily basis even setting them up in there lowest soft setting. The koni Red Active Technology are a perfect match even with the OEM spring rate. It just enhanced the ZOOM ZOOM to another level. Glad you enjoyed my review. I hope this will help others on their decision if their looking to pull the trigger on these KONIS RED.
    Last edited by NYG37S; 12-01-2019 at 10:20 AM.

you replaced old shocks with Konis?

- results of the comparison are not surprising...

replacing new shocks with Konis would be more interesting

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ralf11 View Post
    you replaced old shocks with Konis?

- results of the comparison are not surprising...

replacing new shocks with Konis would be more interesting
    I had the 2016 Mazda CX-5 SUV since new with only 6 miles on the odometer. I know how my car performed when I had since new. Had I test driven a CX-5 with the KONI back then, I would have changed the new oem shocks/struts in a heart beat with RED koni. The Red koni shocks/struts are just better plane and simple. Watch a YOUTUBE video where they tested a pracitically brand new BMW with oem and one with RED KONIS. The video speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0dWGWr4-Yo
    Last edited by NYG37S; 12-01-2019 at 10:22 AM.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I was thinking about this with my CS springs. I may do it when time comes to replace my struts. I'm at 59xxxk myself. It still feels fine though.
    These struts have softness adjustment possibility(front are rear)? I'm not familiar with these struts.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    I was thinking about this with my CS springs. I may do it when time comes to replace my struts. I'm at 59xxxk myself. It still feels fine though.
    These struts have softness adjustment possibility(front are rear)? I'm not familiar with these struts.

If you are riding on CS springs which have a drop of 3.25" Front and 3.25" Rear they will not be compatible with these springs. Koni recommends a 1.25"-1.50" maximum drop. The Koni can be used with some lowering springs that have a drop of 1.25"-1.50". If you use them beyond that drop you will have diminishing returns according to what they state. Over at the koni website they have an Active Lowering Kit that the koni Red Active Technology struts/shocks are paired with Eibach springs that have a 1"-1.50" mild drop.

The Koni Red Active Technology are not hand adjustable like the Yellow Koni are, where you adjust using a knob to twist and set them soft to very firm. Red Koni self adjust according to the road bump rebound frequency feedback they receive (Hydraulic Mechanical). Here are some links to the info. I hope this helps with your decision. If you are going to get the Koni and want the aesthetic of the lowering springs I would suggest getting from Koni their Active Lowering Kit.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...ring-Kit(Red)/

https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/1073...pecial-active/
    Last edited by NYG37S; 12-02-2019 at 08:14 PM.

they adjust to what already happened

too bad the Lotus predictive active suspension didn't pan out

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ralf11 View Post
    they adjust to what already happened

too bad the Lotus predictive active suspension didn't pan out

Didn't pan out? For me it has. And I'm happy with my results.