New car, winter wash question

rockethead26

2019 CX-5 Reserve
:
N. Arizona @ 7000'
Have a 10 day old GT-R. It has a dealer applied ceramic coating on it. Yes, it's an Armor All product, so we'll dispense with the comments about that. Regardless it's on there. I got the car just in time for winter weather. It snowed while at a movie last night and the city obviously applied some snow melting chemicals to the road, so now, my Soul Red paint is covered with white splotches. It won't be above freezing for a week or more. Too small of a garage to apply rinse free product. Is it OK to leave that crap all over my car for possibly a few weeks? If not. what do I do?

Thanks!

Put on a wet suit and head on down to the self service car wash! Or find a touch free.

Put on a wet suit and head on down to the self service car wash! Or find a touch free.

Thanks! We do have one touchless car wash in town which would I prefer to a wetsuit.(yes) I just have to wait until temps climb above the mid 20s. Although, I could dig out that wetsuit I haven't put on in 15 years to see if I could still squeeze myself in. Taking it off at 25 would be a b**** though.

Thanks! We do have one touchless car wash in town which would I prefer to a wetsuit.(yes) I just have to wait until temps climb above the mid 20s. Although, I could dig out that wetsuit I haven't put on in 15 years to see if I could still squeeze myself in. Taking it off at 25 would be a b**** though.

A wetsuit is a bit extreme, no? Lol. Take it to a wand wash and just rinse it down. Wipe the door jambs down to get rid of as much excess water as you can. Close and open all doors a few times after you get home from the wash, and you should be fine. You can also treat the door seals with a rubber conditioner or silicone spray so that they repel water better and are less likely to become dry enough for water to freeze them to the door jamb. Don't use WD-40 for this as it can dry out your seals prematurely.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-prevent-car-doors-from-freezing-shut

the higher the water pressure, the more force there is to push abrasive particles into the paint and scratch it

visualize a rushing mountain river and rocks/sand being bounced along scraping away at things...

A wetsuit is a bit extreme, no? Lol. Take it to a wand wash and just rinse it down. Wipe the door jambs down to get rid of as much excess water as you can. Close and open all doors a few times after you get home from the wash, and you should be fine. You can also treat the door seals with a rubber conditioner or silicone spray so that they repel water better and are less likely to become dry enough for water to freeze them to the door jamb. Don't use WD-40 for this as it can dry out your seals prematurely.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-prevent-car-doors-from-freezing-shut

Just ran it thru a brand new touchless in town that did a pretty darn good job of removing the road chemical spots. Thanks for that tip about checking the door jambs as there was still water trapped. I'm not a fan of WD-40 either so I'll use something else on the rubber seals.

This is the first car in 25 years that I really care about, so I'll be treating this one with kid gloves.

Thanks again for your help,

the higher the water pressure, the more force there is to push abrasive particles into the paint and scratch it

visualize a rushing mountain river and rocks/sand being bounced along scraping away at things...

This is true, but you just have to exercise caution and use common sense, i.e. don't hold the pressure washer 2 in away from the paint. I've been rinsing my MGM paint with 1800+ psi pressure washers for nearly 2 years, and the only minor micromarring/swirl marks have come from my wife using the foam brush one time.

That's a bit extreme isn't it? If care it taken a pressure washer can be used to safely wash just about anything. I've been using pressure washers for a LONG time and other than my finger (one time) I've never damaged anything. I even use a pressure washer to wash my motorcycle and motorhome (never damaged any decals either).

As Sm1ke said, a little common sense is needed when using a pressure washer...

I am much more likely to go thru a tunnel wash in the winter than a DIY wand type. I learned a long time ago to keep those wands from getting too close to the car, but it's good to get a reminder once in a while.

That's a bit extreme isn't it? If care it taken a pressure washer can be used to safely wash just about anything. I've been using pressure washers for a LONG time and other than my finger (one time) I've never damaged anything. I even use a pressure washer to wash my motorcycle and motorhome (never damaged any decals either).

As Sm1ke said, a little common sense is needed when using a pressure washer...

Not extreme - it is an exact description when scaled by the appropriate Reynolds Number.

Feel free to pressure wash your car tho. I'd rather use hot water, low pressure and a good detergent...

Not extreme - it is an exact description when scaled by the appropriate Reynolds Number.

Feel free to pressure wash your car tho. I'd rather use hot water, low pressure and a good detergent...

Thanks for your permission. Good luck with the hot water, low pressure, and good detergent in the middle of winter.

Thanks for your permission. Good luck with the hot water, low pressure, and good detergent in the middle of winter.

Lol

Touchless is great for most people, and should be perfect for you, rockethead26, especially with the ceramic coating. Personally, I use a wax that is not as durable as a ceramic coating, so the chemicals that might be used in a touchless wash are more likely to wear the protection down prematurely. Since the wax needs to last the length of the winter (about 4-5 months here), I'm stuck with pressure washing at the coin op and waterless washes on the warmer days when it's above freezing temps.

Post pics of your car! I love the Soul Red colour.

Lol

Touchless is great for most people, and should be perfect for you, rockethead26, especially with the ceramic coating. Personally, I use a wax that is not as durable as a ceramic coating, so the chemicals that might be used in a touchless wash are more likely to wear the protection down prematurely. Since the wax needs to last the length of the winter (about 4-5 months here), I'm stuck with pressure washing at the coin op and waterless washes on the warmer days when it's above freezing temps.

Post pics of your car! I love the Soul Red colour.

I'm going to buy some of the no-rise soap to try this winter. The car is currently spotless and sitting in the garage as a foot of snow has fallen since midnight last night with another 10" on the way today. My OCD kicked in yesterday and I had to take out my homebrew vinegar/water/Dawn spray bottle and clean off the 3-4 1/2" mud spots on the driver's floor mat. I feel better now...

The only pics I have so far are the two I took at the hotel in Phoenix after taking delivery of the car. Here you go.

CX-5 First Day_Rear Pass Side_20191116.JPG

CX-5 First day_Front_20191116.JPG

I encourage the DIY washes over the touchless ones, especially if you can go when they're not busy and use your own bucket and soap. Most of what I*ve read (largely from the auto detailing group at Reddit) is that the car washes tend to use harshers soaps. But using their spray gun on the rinse setting with your own soap is fine.

Obviously some such car washers are more accommodating than others when it comes to using your own bucket, but most don't mind if you go at a time when there's no one waiting.

I use Meguiar's Quick Detailer for touch ups.

Last edited:

And yet pretty much every pro detailer out there uses a pressure washer to wash a car, including maintenance washes. Look at any of the thousands of pro-detailing videos on YouTube. What scratches and mars paint is touching it with a solid object. Not water.

OP check out some of Larry Kosilla's videos on the AMMO NYC channel. He has a number of videos related specifically to winter car washing and detailing.

I bought some of the no-rinse soap, but it is so cold that I've been content to run the car through the touchless car wash every week to get the road chemicals off and then just wipe it down with a microfiber towel. when I get it home. @PatrickGSR94 I'll watch those videos and learn what I can from them. Thanks!

I use Adam's Rinseless wash in the winter when there is no outdoor hose available, due to temperature (I live at 5600 feet). Car gets washed in the garage. The Rinseless Wash provides enough lubrication that scratches and micromarring are avoided, when used properly.

I use Adam's Rinseless wash in the winter when there is no outdoor hose available, due to temperature (I live at 5600 feet). Car gets washed in the garage. The Rinseless Wash provides enough lubrication that scratches and micromarring are avoided, when used properly.

I am anxious to try the rinseless soap, but my garage is small, about 12-18" of clearance all around, hardly enough to do anything to the car, much less see what you are doing. I need to wait for warmer weather. It's good to hear of another story that confirms that this stuff actually works.

Back