2017~2024 Noisy CX-5 GT

Wow, so many replies. Thank you so much, my fellow Mazda owners !

I went to the dealer and a technician did a test drive with me. His conclusion: That noise is normal! (I still doubted). Then we went back to the dealer, the technician checked the tire pressure, all 4 tires were 47 psi !!! He said usually they lower the tire pressure to 36 PSI when they give a car to a customer, but looks like they forgot to do that for me on the day I purchased.

Feel better now.

And Yes, road surface makes big difference !

Wow, so many replies. Thank you so much, my fellow Mazda owners !

I went to the dealer and a technician did a test drive with me. His conclusion: That noise is normal! (I still doubted). Then we went back to the dealer, the technician checked the tire pressure, all 4 tires were 47 psi !!! He said usually they lower the tire pressure to 36 PSI when they give a car to a customer, but looks like they forgot to do that for me on the day I purchased.

Feel better now.

And Yes, road surface makes big difference !
Nice!

When the tech who rode with you says normal, then checked the tire pressure which is NOT normal! ;)

If I were you Id check tire pressure the first thing in the morning again. Your actual tire pressure has to be lower than Mazda recommended 35 psi, Id guess 32. The reason is that Mazda tech adjusted the pressure right after a long ride and the air inside of tires had been heated up, hence the higher tire pressure. Usually itd have increased 3~6 psi depending on situations.

If you dont have a digital tire pressure gauge, go invest one during the holiday season, in addition to a nice portable air pump. This would be much easier to properly check and adjust tire pressure the first thing in the morning.

Or at least go to Discount Tire, or Americas Tire (if 95134 is your zip code), near you and double check the tire pressure. This would have the same heat-up problem on tires and you should ask the tire shop pumping up to 37~39 psi., then re-check it again the next morning. Releasing air is easier as you dont need an air pump.

BTW, when youre at the Americas Tire checking out the tire pressure for free, make sure to check your mini spare tire in the trunk too. Unlike the road tires, it should be very low! (40+ psi instead of recommended 60 psi!)

Nice!

When the tech who rode with you says normal, then checked the tire pressure which is NOT normal! ;)

If I were you Id check tire pressure the first thing in the morning again. Your actual tire pressure has to be lower than Mazda recommended 35 psi, Id guess 32. The reason is that Mazda tech adjusted the pressure right after a long ride and the air inside of tires had been heated up, hence the higher tire pressure. Usually itd have increased 3~6 psi depending on situations.

If you dont have a digital tire pressure gauge, go invest one during the holiday season, in addition to a nice portable air pump. This would be much easier to properly check and adjust tire pressure the first thing in the morning.

Or at least go to Discount Tire, or Americas Tire (if 95134 is your zip code), near you and double check the tire pressure. This would have the same heat-up problem on tires and you should ask the tire shop pumping up to 37~39 psi., then re-check it again the next morning. Releasing air is easier as you dont need an air pump.

Yes, you are right. The tech guy is stupid and irresponsible, I told him that it is not accurate to measure the tire pressure right after a long driving.

Anyway, I got a gauge and can measure and adjust the tire pressure by myself.

CX-5 noise

I purchased a new CX5 GT 2019 (AWD) one month ago (currently it has 900 miles), it comes with tires 19'' Toyo A36 (never heard of this tire brand before).

The car is VERY noisy (I gave a friend a ride, he also immediately noticed the noise), and feel most noise comes from the tires/road. (I don't notice wind noise, probably the tire/road noise is way louder than wind noise, so I didn't hear the wind noise).

Is it normal?

Are your OEM Toyo tires quiet ?

Any other method to reduce the noise besides replacing these tires ?

Location: California, Bay Area. (recent temperature: 50 ~ 70 F)

Thanks

I have a 2019 CX-5 Signature with the Toyo A36 tires. I find the major source of noise is the road with these tires. A well paved road in my experience is very quiet while some of the older roads can be pretty noisy. The Toyo's are crappy OEM equipment. Putting on a good set of tires will vastly improve noise levels and handling.

I have a 2019 CX-5 Signature with the Toyo A36 tires. I find the major source of noise is the road with these tires. A well paved road in my experience is very quiet while some of the older roads can be pretty noisy. The Toyo's are crappy OEM equipment. Putting on a good set of tires will vastly improve noise levels and handling.

Crappy in what respect?

I purchased a new CX5 GT 2019 (AWD) one month ago (currently it has 900 miles), it comes with tires 19'' Toyo A36 (never heard of this tire brand before).

The car is VERY noisy (I gave a friend a ride, he also immediately noticed the noise), and feel most noise comes from the tires/road. (I don't notice wind noise, probably the tire/road noise is way louder than wind noise, so I didn't hear the wind noise).

Is it normal?

Are your OEM Toyo tires quiet ?

Any other method to reduce the noise besides replacing these tires ?

Location: California, Bay Area. (recent temperature: 50 ~ 70 F)

Thanks

I had the same experience when I recently test drove a 2019 Sig. I made the mistake of saying so in a post, and was attacked as a troll by certain members of this forum. So be aware...

My new GT-R is quiet. I checked tire pressure and the dealer had correctly adjusted all tires to 35 psi. Now, I did make sure I mentioned the occasional deliveries with over inflated tires to them prior to delivery.

BTW, when you*re at the America*s Tire checking out the tire pressure for free, make sure to check your mini spare tire in the trunk too. Unlike the road tires, it should be very low! (40+ psi instead of recommended 60 psi!)

My last several cars that had donut spares have recommended the spare tire pressure to be 60 PSI. That is also the pressure that is embossed on the sidewall of the spare in my CX 5. Why would you think running at more than 30% below the recommended pressure is the thing to do ?

BTW, when youre at the Americas Tire checking out the tire pressure for free, make sure to check your mini spare tire in the trunk too. Unlike the road tires, it should be very low! (40+ psi instead of recommended 60 psi!)
My last several cars that had donut spares have recommended the spare tire pressure to be 60 PSI. That is also the pressure that is embossed on the sidewall of the spare in my CX 5. Why would you think running at more than 30% below the recommended pressure is the thing to do ?
Yes youre correct most mini spares recommend 60 psi. What I meant was if you bother to take the mini spare out and check the tire pressure from your new CX-5, it should read 40+ psi instead of recommended 60 psi. It has been reported many times that the mini spare from factory doesnt have enough air, so make sure to check it and add more air to 60 psi.

I checked the donut spare in my CX 5 yesterday. I bought the car at the end of May so it is about 6 months from the time I took delivery and presumably all the items on the checklist were done.
It read 55 lbs on my dial type tire gauge. The temperature yesterday was in the mid to high 40's. I'm good with 55 PSI for now, will check it again every couple of months and if it is any lower will top it up to 60.

Back