2017~2024 Noisy CX-5 GT

I purchased a new CX5 GT 2019 (AWD) one month ago (currently it has 900 miles), it comes with tires 19'' Toyo A36 (never heard of this tire brand before).

The car is VERY noisy (I gave a friend a ride, he also immediately noticed the noise), and feel most noise comes from the tires/road. (I don't notice wind noise, probably the tire/road noise is way louder than wind noise, so I didn't hear the wind noise).

Is it normal?

Are your OEM Toyo tires quiet ?

Any other method to reduce the noise besides replacing these tires ?

Location: California, Bay Area. (recent temperature: 50 ~ 70 F)

Thanks

I have the same tires. Check the air pressure when the tires are cold. We have a 2019 with 6,000 miles and 19 in wheels with AWD and the car is not very noisy. Did you test drive the car you bought before you bought it?

@CX_FIVER, the dealer showed me two cars, I test drove Car A (saw dirt on a seat, so didn't take that one), but purchased Car B. Saw many reviews saying CX5 now is quiet and didn't pay much attention on road/tire noise when I test drove. Will check air pressure. Thanks

We traded a 2016 Mazda6 with 19 in wheels and that car was noisy. My wife was on a trip and stopped to look at a Miata. She liked the Mazda6 and I negotiated the car and trade over the phone. When she returned home the following week, I went for a ride and found it very noisy which was a fault with Mazda. They have really improved on the noise level and yours should be quiet. It could be a wheel bearing. Maybe, a ride with the Service Manager will locate a problem. It is too nice a SUV to live with noise.

Last edited:
Our 2019 signature has same toyo tires.They seem quiet,although different types of road surfaces will effect just how quiet.Yes check cold air pressure,they pump up pressure at production to prevent flat spotting when shipping and sittingg on lot.Dealer at delivery has a long list of checks,adjustments but we know how that goes..

I purchased a new CX5 GT 2019 (AWD) one month ago (currently it has 900 miles), it comes with tires 19'' Toyo A36 (never heard of this tire brand before).

The car is VERY noisy (I gave a friend a ride, he also immediately noticed the noise), and feel most noise comes from the tires/road. (I don't notice wind noise, probably the tire/road noise is way louder than wind noise, so I didn't hear the wind noise).

Is it normal?

Thanks
Since noise level is subjective, the best way is to go back to your Mazda dealer and ask the salesman to test drive another 2019 CX-5 GT AWD to compare the tire noise level.

Check tire pressure with a good gauge when overnight cold. I found that often time the vehicles are delivered to the customer with the 40+ pounds shipping pressure. Ed

Drove the 2019 Sig with Toyo tires with wife today. Temp low 30s. Asked her a few times if she heardn any noise. Both of us agree no noise.

If you guys think '17+ CX5s are noisy, you should try '14 Mazda3.
My '16 Mazda6 is significantly quieter than the '14 Mazda3, but it is still much noisier than my '17 CX5.
Mazda knew their older models are noisy, which was one of the major complaints from owners.
They did improve it over the years.
I am sure other makers are also improving theirs also.

If it*s road noise (varies with different types of surface) then yes the tires are to blame. The car is equipped with very low rolling resistance tires to improve fuel consumption and they are quite stiff but as far as general residual noise goes, the CX5 is considered good.

That's the 2nd most compliment I get from people, how quiet my 2019 Reserve is next to how nice the interior is. I had a RAV before and that was my only complaint about it the road noise, granted the road surface does make a big difference but that goes for any vehicle.

Last edited:
My 370Z was so loud inside that using the Bluetooth function for my cell phone was about worthless and having a conversation with a passenger required talking in a very loud voice. It also required cranking the stereo up considerably to enjoy music. It was a combination of the tires and lack of sound deadening material in the wheel wells and cabin. Many owners resorted to installing Dynamat from the footwells all the way back through the hatch, in the doors and over the wheel wells just to make long drives less fatiguing.
My CX 5 is like a Cadillac in comparison. I am very pleased with how quiet the interior is. The first time I answered a phone call while driving and not only could I hear the caller but the caller could hear me I knew that the difference was like night & day.
If the OP's CX 5 is noisy there is a problem somewhere, probably tire related.

Its very difficult to tell exactly how loud the interior is because our ears acclimate to different noise levels to protect our ears. You need something completely objective like a meter. You might be able to compare using a sound source to move between vehicles. Maybe a mp3 player or radio or phone.

In Europe tires are graded by noise output using sound meters because tires are the main source of road noise that not only affects passengers but also pedestrians and others outside the vehicle. Tire rack has noise ratings but they are subject to the opinions and sound insulation of their vehicles.

The majority of the noise comes from the tires. You'll notice the change depending on the road your driving. Lots of cars have the same problem. Mazda could possibly do a better job of insulating but my 2019 is quieter than my 2015.

I've noticed that when I drive on concrete roads it's much louder than
driving on blacktop, with stock tires.......

Pretty much what I came here to say.

Older concrete roads are the only time I notice road notice in my '19. There's this one particular stretch that comes to mind...

If the OP goes back to test drive another car, he needs to drive his own car along the same route he intends to take the comparison drive so as to be on identical road surfaces.

Is it normal?

Thanks

Toyo tires have been around since post WW2 in August of 1945, and they have been in the US since 1966. If you know tires, I am not sure why you have never heard of them before?
Check your tire pressure, they probably still have 50-55 psi in them from the boat ride.

In general, if the tire has bigger tread blocks, it is likely going to be louder and noisier than one with many smaller blocks.
For comparison, I go to tirerack.com and check out owners' reviews. Look at ones with more reported mileage.

Make sure the tires are inflated to the psi on the door tag. Mazdas arrive to the dealers with the tires at 50+psi and are supposed to be lowered to the correct level but often aren't

Update

My wife and I went for a ride yesterday on an older road surface. My wife asked what is that noise. We then drove over a smooth asphalt section and she said...guess the noise went away. So, I change my previous post...the road surface does effect the noise from the tires.

Latest posts

Back