2017~2024 Oil Additives With Turbo

Tim

Hello! Im new here and came in to ask a question about engine oil additives. Im also a new owner of a 2019 CX-5 Signature. Ill be participating more since Im new to Mazda too!

As I mentioned, new CX-5 Sig. Ive done one oil change on the car at six months with around 800 miles on the car so Im still in break-in. I dont get out much (disabled) so Ill always have to change the oil by time and not miles. I have a lot of dry starts and short trips. Though when I do go out I try to get the moisture out of the oil by running the car as much as possible, even letting the car idle while parked if necessary.

This is my first turbo engine though Ive driven others before. Quite pleased with Mazdas implementation. I was considering adding some Lucas Oil Conditioner to the engine mainly to protect against the dry starts after a period of inactivity.

Can anyone offer any useful opinions about whether this would be a good idea?

Hello! Im new here and came in to ask a question about engine oil additives. Im also a new owner of a 2019 CX-5 Signature. Ill be participating more since Im new to Mazda too!

As I mentioned, new CX-5 Sig. Ive done one oil change on the car at six months with around 800 miles on the car so Im still in break-in. I dont get out much (disabled) so Ill always have to change the oil by time and not miles. I have a lot of dry starts and short trips. Though when I do go out I try to get the moisture out of the oil by running the car as much as possible, even letting the car idle while parked if necessary.

This is my first turbo engine though Ive driven others before. Quite pleased with Mazdas implementation. I was considering adding some Lucas Oil Conditioner to the engine mainly to protect against the dry starts after a period of inactivity.

IMO you should use Flexible OCI which is the default from factory. Flexible OCI is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first, and displays a notification of Oil change due when you need a oil change depending on your driving habit. With minimum miles you drive, I believe changing the oil once for every 12 months is good enough, as long as you use good quality full synthetic 5W-30 oil on your 2.5L turbo. If youre not familiar with Flexible OCI, check your owners manual.

Personally I wouldnt use any oil additives, and Mazda doesnt recommend it either.

Use an excellent synthetic oil of the recommended weight and let the engine idle for at least 60 seconds before shut-off after every drive to let the turbo cool down. There is no oil additive needed nor is there one that will help your engine.

As said above, no additives are necessary. Use the oils recommended by Mazda and you'll be fine, rather, your CX will be.

What's a 'dry start'?

Leaving your car idling for extended periods is not a good idea. Taking your car out on the highway and getting it up to operating temps for a bit is a good idea. A couple of wide open throttle runs to 60 or so is also a good idea, plus it's WAY fun!

As long as you drive it for 20-30 miles in one trip once a month or so, with a normal trip every week, it should be fine. I'd avoid additives.

As said above, no additives are necessary. Use the oils recommended by Mazda and you'll be fine, rather, your CX will be.

What's a 'dry start'?

Leaving your car idling for extended periods is not a good idea. Taking your car out on the highway and getting it up to operating temps for a bit is a good idea. A couple of wide open throttle runs to 60 or so is also a good idea, plus it's WAY fun!

A dry start is also a "cold start"; starting an engine after the oil has drained off of parts like the cam lobes.

WOT is fun, after the engine and trans are at full operating temp. For mine, at least 5 miles for the engine and over 20 highway miles for the trans.

Back