Steering wheel audio controls works sometimes, sometimes not

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
As title suggests, I been having issues with my buttons, specifically the volume ones.
I have a Kenwood unit, and the PAC steering wheel adapter.
I'm trying to narrow it down, to which device/buttons causes the problem.
Anybody has issues with the buttons not working?
The wiring is done properly, soldered by me and heat shrinked.
Usually they work in colder weather and they don't in hot weather. Lately, even in the cold they don't always work.
What is interesting, is that next track, mute and phone buttons always work.
I have even drilled venting holes, into the PAC adapter box.

IMO the problem is from the switch. If you use volume button often Id believe the volume rocker switch may have some bad connections. Try to spray some contact cleaner and see if that improves. Disassemble the switch area and see if you can spray the contact cleaner into the rocker switch itself.

I suspect the switch myself, but I thought, let's ask here and see, if others are having issues with the switch and that could confirm my suspicion.
I don't remember, to get to the switch, the steering wheel has to be disassembled? It's been a while since I have installed the paddles.

You have done the paddle switch, it should be easy for you to get to the volume switch. Just have to waste your valuable time to do it.

As title suggests, I been having issues with my buttons, specifically the volume ones.
I have a Kenwood unit, and the PAC steering wheel adapter.
I'm trying to narrow it down, to which device/buttons causes the problem.
Anybody has issues with the buttons not working?
The wiring is done properly, soldered by me and heat shrinked.
Usually they work in colder weather and they don't in hot weather. Lately, even in the cold they don't always work.
What is interesting, is that next track, mute and phone buttons always work.
I have even drilled venting holes, into the PAC adapter box.

Not familiar with this particular PAC. If it is direct-convertor, or is it programmed?

Last one I did was on Mazda5... But the interface was programmed by the user to the different wheel functions. My issue was fixed by re-programming the PAC interface.

There is not a separate wire for each button, rather each different steering wheel button press puts out a defined ohm range that is deciphered by the canbus audio.

I hope that I don't have to reprogram that thing, because it is a nightmare.

Your ohms impedance might be changing just enough during temps to be out of the programmed range that you gave the PAC to detect. (scratch)

Not sure about the Mazda, but I had similar problems with another car... the buttons press down a conductive rubber membrane to short across contacts. Dirt and grime get between the two and, just as mazdadude said, it changes the resistance in a ladder network of switches/resistors enough to move the voltage out of the recognized range. Cleaning them will fix the problem.

Back