CX-5 Rear Shock Mount Compatibility?

:
Mazda CX-5
Hello Team CX-5. I searched, and I don't think there was a definitive answer I can find. Called a couple of Mazda parts places, and none could either confirm or deny as they didn't have both parts handy to visually compare. It doesn't look like you can buy the rear shock mount on its own for the 2014 CX-5 (only the whole assembly), but you can for 17+. Does anyone know if the 17+ is compatible with the previous gen? I am ready to do a suspension refresh, but I don't want to reuse the top mounts or OEM shocks.

I can tell you that the top mounts have been beefed up on later models. I didn*t think they were available separately.

I just had the rear top mount fail on me 2 weeks ago. 2013 w 170k miles so they were past due. I bought new shocks w mounts for both sides from the dealer ~$85 each so not too bad. The new design has added ribs to strengthen the mount. I wish I could answer your question but depending on price and return policy, order the gen2 mount only and give it a shot. Most of the power train and suspension carried over w minor tweaks from Gen1 to Gen2. Very easy part to replace. 2 14mm nuts up top and 19mm on the lower mount.

I just had the rear top mount fail on me 2 weeks ago. 2013 w 170k miles so they were past due. I bought new shocks w mounts for both sides from the dealer ~$85 each so not too bad. The new design has added ribs to strengthen the mount. I wish I could answer your question but depending on price and return policy, order the gen2 mount only and give it a shot. Most of the power train and suspension carried over w minor tweaks from Gen1 to Gen2. Very easy part to replace. 2 14mm nuts up top and 19mm on the lower mount.
Could you please specify which parts did you install? And by Gen 2 were you referring to 2017+ or 2015+?
When I drove my mom's 2016.5 GT I thought here suspension setup is nicer -- softer, and quieter than my 2013GT.
Now, here is where I am confused -- This rear shock absorber says that fits 2015 and 2016 only. https://parts.coxmazda.com/p/Mazda_2016_CX-5/Shock-Absorber-Rear/75165402/KA0G28910G.html
While a similar rear shock absorber basically says 2013-2016 compatible https://parts.coxmazda.com/p/Mazda_...44/KD3528910K.html?clickSource=relatedProduct
Then, there is a 2017+ version https://parts.coxmazda.com/p/Mazda__/Shock-Absorber/70205838/KB8F28700B.html
I am at 127k miles. thinking ahead of replacements of struts and other suspension parts. What I am hoping is that I can install newer 2017+ or 2015+ parts on a 2013 AWD GT.... and hoping that it would make the ride softer.... :)

Could you please specify which parts did you install? And by Gen 2 were you referring to 2017+ or 2015+?
When I drove my mom's 2016.5 GT I thought here suspension setup is nicer -- softer, and quieter than my 2013GT.
Now, here is where I am confused -- This rear shock absorber says that fits 2015 and 2016 only. https://parts.coxmazda.com/p/Mazda_2016_CX-5/Shock-Absorber-Rear/75165402/KA0G28910G.html
While a similar rear shock absorber basically says 2013-2016 compatible https://parts.coxmazda.com/p/Mazda_...44/KD3528910K.html?clickSource=relatedProduct
Then, there is a 2017+ version https://parts.coxmazda.com/p/Mazda__/Shock-Absorber/70205838/KB8F28700B.html
I am at 127k miles. thinking ahead of replacements of struts and other suspension parts. What I am hoping is that I can install newer 2017+ or 2015+ parts on a 2013 AWD GT.... and hoping that it would make the ride softer.... :)
The OP was talking about top mount for rear shock absorber on gen-1 CX-5 which can’t be had separately but you can get such part listed on gen-2 CX-5. As for rear shock absorbers, there were design change on rear shock absorber along the years which does get confused. The best way to verify is you provide the VIN to your Mazda dealer and the parts guy should give you correct p/n of shocks for your CX-5.

For OEM rear shock absorbers #24 in the diagram here are part numbers for gen-1 CX-5:

E80AF9FB-9181-4DE3-8691-739AE7C32819.png

KDY5-28-910C Shock absorber for 2013 ~ 2014 Mazda CX-5 to 5/13/13.

KR27-28-910H Shock absorber for 2014 ~ 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 from 5/13/13, Type 2, without AWD.

KD35-28-910K Shock absorber for 2014 ~ 2015 Mazda CX-5 from 5/13/13, Type 1, with AWD.

KA0G-28-910G Shock absorber for 2015 ~ 2016.5 CX-5 from 11/03/2014, with AWD.

For OEM rear shock absorbers #1 and shock top mount #4 in the diagram here are part numbers for gen-2 CX-5:

A2AA7E19-E526-4631-8DB5-72F435A4D952.png

KB7W-28-700B Damper rear for 2017 CX-5 to 06/22/2017, with FWD.

KL2F-28-700A Damper rear for 2017 ~ current CX-5 from 06/22/2017.

KL2G-28-700A Damper rear for 2017 ~ current CX-5 from 06/22/2017.

TK48-28-380C Shock mount for 2017 CX-5 to 10/01/2017.

TK52-28-380C Shock mount for 2017 ~ current CX-5 from 10/01/2017.

It’s not likely you can use front struts, but It’s likely to use the rear shock absorbers from gen-2 CX-5 for gen-1 CX-5. See here:

CX-5 Strut/Shock replacement

Last edited:
Any update on if gen 2 struts & shocks fit gen1? I'm in the same boat - 2016.5CX5.
Bilstein B6 is a rare find. I'm also finding the Gen2 B6 for sale (22-291240,22-291257) but not for the 2016 gen1....

I thought about changing my rear shocks (2014- Gen 1) when the time comes because it looks like an easy job. However, mine do not have the bolt in the lower 'eye' (item # 26 in first diagram above). Instead it has the nut (19mm, like item # 2 in the second diagram) that retains the shock on a stud protruding from the rear knuckle. Researching rear shock changeout online I came across where somebody had a real struggle trying to get the shock off of the stud and had to heat and cut the shock to remove it. Definitely a 'cut and torch' job. I think this is another case where the Gen 1 shop manual (released for the 2013 model) doesn't correspond with my Gen 1 2014.
Anybody here with this arrangement do a rear shock replacement yet?

Any update on if gen 2 struts & shocks fit gen1? I'm in the same boat - 2016.5CX5.
Bilstein B6 is a rare find. I'm also finding the Gen2 B6 for sale (22-291240,22-291257) but not for the 2016 gen1....
No, the rear shock absorbers and the upper shock mounts on gen-2 CX-5 won’t fit the gen-1 CX-5.

I thought about changing my rear shocks (2014- Gen 1) when the time comes because it looks like an easy job. However, mine do not have the bolt in the lower 'eye' (item # 26 in first diagram above). Instead it has the nut (19mm, like item # 2 in the second diagram) that retains the shock on a stud protruding from the rear knuckle. Researching rear shock changeout online I came across where somebody had a real struggle trying to get the shock off of the stud and had to heat and cut the shock to remove it. Definitely a 'cut and torch' job. I think this is another case where the Gen 1 shop manual (released for the 2013 model) doesn't correspond with my Gen 1 2014.
Anybody here with this arrangement do a rear shock replacement yet?

Rear shock removal question

Had to remove lower arm, coil spring, and then the nut that held in the shock eyelet in place. Finally, my CX-5 has a stud with a 8mm end that needs to come off before the shock can be fully removed.

And hopefully the nuts on shock’s bottom eyelet haven’t rusted too much to get them loose.

Has anybody tried the KYB SM5890 rear shock mount? It’s says that they are compatible with 2013-2018 CX5s. I know there was a change for the Gen1s, so not sure about the fitment.

I have an early build from 2012 and my mounts are shot but shocks are fine. Dealer wants ~$380 per shock, which includes the mount…crazy price.

Has anybody tried the KYB SM5890 rear shock mount? It’s says that they are compatible with 2013-2018 CX5s. I know there was a change for the Gen1s, so not sure about the fitment.

I have an early build from 2012 and my mounts are shot but shocks are fine. Dealer wants ~$380 per shock, which includes the mount…crazy price.
$60.92 CAD / $49.39 USD a piece for a rear shock top mount? Might as well get a pair of OEM rear shocks (KDY5-28-910C $106.64 / $151.08 USD MSRP) which come with the top mount when your shocks are more than 10 years old. The labor cost will be the same.

Or you can get CX-3 top mount DA6A-28-380 which will work to your CX-5 although it’s thicker. You can find one between $17~ $40 CAD but the labor to replace them could be high.

2016 CX-5 Rear Shock Mount

2016 CX-5 GT Broken rear upper strut mount

Thanks for the reply. Might as well go with the US supplier for the shock as the dealer here in Canada wants an equivalent of $290USD per shock, which is why I was thinking of going the mount-only approach. The original shocks seem pretty good still as I only have about 80k miles (130k Km) and there is no bouncing. However, might as well replace while I’m in there…plan to do it myself.

Thanks for the reply. Might as well go with the US supplier for the shock as the dealer here in Canada wants an equivalent of $290USD per shock, which is why I was thinking of going the mount-only approach. The original shocks seem pretty good still as I only have about 80k miles (130k Km) and there is no bouncing. However, might as well replace while I’m in there…plan to do it myself.
If I can do it, you can do it. I’d replace both the shock and the mount too while you’re doing the work.

There’re too many different OEM rear shocks for different MY’s on the CX-5 (see post #5 above). KDY5-28-910C is the one for your 2013 CX-5 (FWD only), but my 2016 CX-5 AWD takes KA0G-28-910G. You may want to provide your VIN to get the correct OEM rear shocks.

I just checked the price and I was shocked to see how much the price has increased for those OEM shocks! My KA0G-28-910G rear shock used to be around $80 each, now is $224.80!!! 🤪

321BFA97-34C6-41EC-8524-186E92D417C9.jpeg

7E89ABFC-B7DA-4B20-A163-93591D02B39E.jpeg

With this price I may just get the CX-3 rear shock mount if I ever had a broken mount!

If I can do it, you can do it. I’d replace both the shock and the mount too while you’re doing the work.
For early 2013 CX-5 and in Canada with rust problem, I believe he’ll have big problem to loose that lower nut on the shock absorber. Some DIYers had to cut the nut or shock absorber in order to remove the shock.

For early 2013 CX-5 and in Canada with rust problem, I believe he’ll have big problem to loose that lower nut on the shock absorber. Some DIYers had to cut the nut or shock absorber in order to remove the shock.
Yikes!!! Good point. They were hard enough to remove being torqued to ~150 ft lbs (or higher, don’t quote me I have to double check the spec). Might want to start spraying some rust solvent in that area each day before attempting the job then.

Anybody have a recommendation on their favorite rust removing product? In the crime lab I used to work in I had amazing luck with Break Free CLP. We’d get guns recovered from lakes that were so rusted they were unrecognizable. Soak those suckers for a day or two in Break Free, and you could usually get the slide open with a hammer.

Don’t scare me. I just spent hours and hours replacing the rear end links which were rusted beyond belief. In the end needed to get a Sawzall to chop off the end. Dealer wants $1380+tax (so ~$1560 all in) to replace both rear shocks - that includes parts and labour. Guess I’ll be buying a new blade…but I’ll try to soak in some kind of penetrating oil over many days to help out.

Don’t scare me. I just spent hours and hours replacing the rear end links which were rusted beyond belief. In the end needed to get a Sawzall to chop off the end. Dealer wants $1380+tax (so ~$1560 all in) to replace both rear shocks - that includes parts and labour. Guess I’ll be buying a new blade…but I’ll try to soak in some kind of penetrating oil over many days to help out.
See post #7 by Jmaz and the link in post #9 by eelliiss about the issues replacing the rear shocks on earlier CX-5’s. You may get the stud instead of a removable bolt on the lower control arm for the lower eyelet of the shock. And you can’t remove the lower end of the shock out of the “long” stud even if you’ve managed to remove the “rusty” nut as there’s no space unless somehow you can remove or destroy the stud, or remove the LCA completely. You really want to check the mounting design of your rear shock lower eyelet while you’re spread the penetrating oil like Jmaz did.

Another alternative is you can follow the steps outlined by HBP in this link where he replaced the top mount with CX-3’s without removing the entire rear shock.

2016 CX-5 GT Broken rear upper strut mount

Yikes!!! Good point. They were hard enough to remove being torqued to ~150 ft lbs (or higher, don’t quote me I have to double check the spec). Might want to start spraying some rust solvent in that area each day before attempting the job then.

Anybody have a recommendation on their favorite rust removing product? In the crime lab I used to work in I had amazing luck with Break Free CLP. We’d get guns recovered from lakes that were so rusted they were unrecognizable. Soak those suckers for a day or two in Break Free, and you could usually get the slide open with a hammer.
"FREE ALL" penetrant. I've only used it once, so no glowing endorsement, but I think it worked where the Liquid Wrench penetrant didn't. I used it when removing my muffler when dropping my trailer hitch. The nuts on the exhaust flange studs were rusted and I rounded one of the nuts (impact socket not seated correctly) and used an extractor socket in conjunction with the FREE ALL. The nut was a bugger to loosen because the nut's flange was rusted to the exhaust pipe flange and the penetrant got in there and loosened it. The threads on the stud (under the nut) were dry with essentially no rust, so it wasn't rusty threads hampering removal.
This brings up an observation that it's not always rusted threads being the culprit because I think that the steel threads deform (yield) under torque and can form an airtight seal that the best penetrant won't breach. I also love how people just spray the esteemed PB Blaster in the general direction of a rusted fastener, immediately apply a wrench and credit the PB B for doing a great job. Maybe a little exaggeration mixed with sarcasm here but I couldn't resist.

"FREE ALL" penetrant. I've only used it once, so no glowing endorsement, but I think it worked where the Liquid Wrench penetrant didn't. I used it when removing my muffler when dropping my trailer hitch. The nuts on the exhaust flange studs were rusted and I rounded one of the nuts (impact socket not seated correctly) and used an extractor socket in conjunction with the FREE ALL. The nut was a bugger to loosen because the nut's flange was rusted to the exhaust pipe flange and the penetrant got in there and loosened it. The threads on the stud (under the nut) were dry with essentially no rust, so it wasn't rusty threads hampering removal.
This brings up an observation that it's not always rusted threads being the culprit because I think that the steel threads deform (yield) under torque and can form an airtight seal that the best penetrant won't breach. I also love how people just spray the esteemed PB Blaster in the general direction of a rusted fastener, immediately apply a wrench and credit the PB B for doing a great job. Maybe a little exaggeration mixed with sarcasm here but I couldn't resist.
Jmaz, you aren’t wrong. PB Blaster is meh in my opinion.

Back